Thread: Hi All New and need help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hi All New and need help.

Hey Everyone I am Josh, I am currently building a 800G paludarium. the dems, are 6'x4'x54", so far the tank progress is past the leak test and is currently getting the rock work done. I will probably do a build thread shortly. I plan on keeping frogs, However i haven't actually settled on a type or species, I have a list that i have researched, that i think will go good in my setup, however I am the type that want them all cause i cant make up my mind. their is a reason why i am building such a large setup. It's because I like to have a 1:5 - 1:10 scale mini landscape. so I thought this would be a great site to get help and to get insight on picking the best inhabitant.

thanks

2. This member thanks Bushel for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi All New and need help.

What kind of environment are you planning on making? A forest? Pond? Most tree-frogs and other arboreal species are out, what about native toads? Or if you want a pond animal, you could collect southern leopard frogs and green/bronze frogs. But it all depends on what kind of environment you plan on making for them

Nationality
    [United States]

I am doing tropical.. with a forest like approach with a large water fall, i have been doing research for over 2 years on species. and set ups, and so as far as knowledge i feel confident on the basics, as far as exp... i have none and that is where i lack.. But it will have a large water feature. the water depth is about 9" and roughly 80 gallon water volume. (not including sump), there will be plenty of places a frog can get out of water if it fell in. After 2 years of tiresome research i finally decided on what i wanted and what i felt confident on keeping, and so i am really thinking darts, do to this will be housing all of My fish from my SA themed blackwater biotope. So I was thinking of keeping it the same roughly, though i am still debating on terrestrial species. Like i said i have a list of terrestrial species from darts to tree frogs and lizards i have yet to narrow down..i'm leaning on darts. but i am still over a year away from actually putting anything in this tank do to it being such a slowwwww build.

Just a thing about me, I may at times sound ignorant and rude, My Apologies, in advance, I at time tend to type meaner than i actually talk..

Nationality
    [United States]

I do have a question has anyone has anyone ever used coco fiber background rolls, from blackjungle if so how long do they last typically, how many years can i get out of them before replacement?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Darts or mantellas may be small enough not to trample your miniature landscape. I think there are various care sheets in the Dart Frog section of the forum.
    No personal experience with cocofiber backgrounds, I'd assume they'd hold out a little longer than regular cocofiber bedding. It really depends on the humidity of the tank (which would be pretty high with darts).

Also welcome and congrats on your ambitious project.

If I were you, I would go with Oophaga pumilio (a species of dart frog), as they will use the entire land portion, they are diurnal, active, and very pretty. If you have good filtration and put some small colerful fish in the water section, you will have a beutiful, huge tank, gl with your progect!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Yea to be honest the painted mantella is on my list, and so is Oophaga Pumilio but i am still debating... the tank will be high humidity, if you have seen Wim's Hillstream tank, I am sorta creating something similar to a part of his tank.

Thread Information