Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White's tree frog sick or stressed?

Default White's tree frog sick or stressed?

Hello, I recently got two whites tree frogs from petco to put in a nice 29 gallon tank I got on sale. I've read every care sheet I could find and did my best to build them a good habitat. I am afraid one of them is sick or stressed. They both have been sleeping during the day and very active at night(which is normal from what I've read), but one of them seems to like to burrow or hide under moss. I adjusted the tank to give them more hides and plants to hang on. I can post some pictures if it will help and advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong section I couldn't find a help section.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's tree frog sick or stressed?

Could be stress, are they using their new hides? What are the temps during the day and night? Too hot or too cold they may try to burrow. Use a digital thermometer to check temps and avoid analogue ones, they're not as good. What's humidity at? How long you had them for?

They used the log hide I have the first day but I haven't seen them in it since. the temps are always between 71-78 F(I have two digital thermomitors http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013XC7UX6 so I think they are correct), even at night. I have a ceramic heat emitter with a lamp that has a dimmer switch but I have been scared to use it encase of overheating. My humidity is always above 50% I was told to keep it at 60 if possible. Unfortunately I could only find analog hygrometers ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N49KMQ is the one I got). I have had them for going on four days.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Try get a basking spot of 85 during the day, put the probe on the branch and then one in the cool end to make sure temps are cooler. Put a 5-7% UVB right next to it. Yeah 60-70% is what to go for.

For UVB I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101JIA6 atm. I assume that is a 2%?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

That doesn't produce any usable UVB. It used to be called a 2% but I think when people realised a 2% would be useless placed above mesh as the output is halved they probably then changed it so it wouldn't be considered a UVB bulb. You need at least a reptisun 5.0 or exo terra uvb100, so one that emits 5%

http://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-5-0-M...ptisun+5.0+uvb is the correct bulb then? Also do you think they will be OK with just the current lighting setup for two days while it ships?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I'd get the 26w one, if you can, it emits slightly more UVB than the lower wattage. Of course, it would take some time for problems to develop and they can do without if supplemented with normal calcium with D3 but I don't recommend that. For my tree frogs I use UVB lighting and then Repashy calcium plus LoD for dusting.

Couldn't find the reptisun 5.0 in 26w but the UVB100 26w one is good enough? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

11. This member thanks ExCinisCineris for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Yeah that will be. The exo terra needs replacing more frequently I've heard, as often as every 3-4 months but the zoo meds should last up to a year, so if you could find the zoo med one you might be better off.

Hmm yeah I can't find any reptisun 5.0 on amazon rated at 26w besides one that doesn't say the wattage on the post but it does say 3u-26w on the side of the bulb in the picture. ( http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiS...s=reptisun+5.0 ) I assume this is the perfect one then? Sorry for the all these little posts just want to make sure I do this right.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I think that may be it. Note it is longer than the exo terra bulbs and may stick out on the exo terra light domes (if that's what you already have) you'll need a deep dome or some way of raising the dome. It's no problem, always happy to help

The dome I am using for light at the moment is a 8.5' ZooMed ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQCXM ). Hopefully that is big enough?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

As its a clamp lamp you could always clamp it to the side of the tank if it the lamp does stick out

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Must say though, preferably I would have the lamp above and straight down, just in case the light shines directly into their eyes but I'd imagine you dome should hold it fine, hopefully.

If your frog is spending a lot of the time on the ground and in the moss, the humidity is probably too low. Also, in my experience, frogs seem more happy and active of there are many live plants. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

19. This member thanks Fingolfin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    If your frog is spending a lot of the time on the ground and in the moss, the humidity is probably too low. Also, in my experience, frogs seem more happy and active of there are many live plants. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    My hygrometer says 70% is it ok to go above that?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't go above that, that's the highest it should go. Make sure the hygrometer your using is of high quality, some are really off

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Wouldn't go above that, that's the highest it should go. Make sure the hygrometer your using is of high quality, some are really off
    Yah it seemed accurate with my test before I got them, should I take it out and do the salt and water test? It takes 6 hours so 6 hours going off guessing for humidity.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

6 hours without not knowing humidity is fine, so I'd do the salt test. A rule I use is to keep frogs moist but not wet. Half the time I don't use a hygrometer but depends on the species sensitivity, though whites and most tree frogs I've heard do not tolerate high humidity well and damp, so may be best used with them. Zoo meds hygrometers I think are the most accurate I've came across

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information