Thread: "Teaching" Frogs to tong feed

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default "Teaching" Frogs to tong feed

In addition to letting them hunt, I would like to tong feed the phyllomedusa so I can have a little more control on who eats what. For example, feed them a nice dubia and then have some crickets in there that they can hunt.

I am sure that you guys have come up with a way to do that. When I present a wiggling food item to my (awake, in the evening) frogs, they either completely ignore it or if I get close to them they literally turn around.

Maybe it is necessary to make sure they fast for a few days to be sure they are really hungry? That makes me a little nervous but if it is safe I would try it. Since so many of you do this I hope you can help me figure this out.

In addition, I have tried food items including crickets, phoenix worms, mealworms in a dish left overnight many times with none ever taken.
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Teaching" Frogs to tong feed

are you sure they're getting the food by hunting? The insects aren't just hiding somewhere?

It may take a while before the frogs are willing to eat from your tweezers. My whites took a few months to trust me after a trip to the vet. I'm not sure why they aren't bowl-feeding though. Maybe the bowls aren't large enough or the bugs in them don't move around enough to be interesting.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    are you sure they're getting the food by hunting? The insects aren't just hiding somewhere?

It may take a while before the frogs are willing to eat from your tweezers. My whites took a few months to trust me after a trip to the vet. I'm not sure why they aren't bowl-feeding though. Maybe the bowls aren't large enough or the bugs in them don't move around enough to be interesting.
    Oh yes, they sometimes climb all over each other for a choice bug. If I haven't seen one eat, I will place a bug near him on the background or screen and "boom". One of them has taken over the swinging food bowl for his sleeping quarters; if he is feeling lazy, he will just lean out of the cup to take a bug from the wall. I make sure I "see" everyone eat.

As far as the dish feeding it is true that dubias hardly move, but I have also tried crickets that run circles around the bowl. I think the big difference is that the monkeys are more arboreal than whites, and they don't really like to go to the ground except for one that hunts down there-but on a log, NOT the bowl. That's why I tried to make a treetop bowl. Am building a new enclosure so I will try to incorporate those into it.

Maybe there's something really wiggly that would interest them with the tongs-earthworms?
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Have you seen the kind of magnetic ledges that have cups attached? maybe something like that could help.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a ledge made from a cork background that sits just under where they usually hang out-in other words, easy to see. I am using a clear pyrex bowl for the bugs and I wondered if the brown of them blends in too much with the shelf underneath, so I might try putting some white paper or something under the bowl so there is more contrast. As Lija said on here, no one ever said Monkey frogs are the brightest bulbs.

By the way, has anyone used those ledges on screen? That is the reason I have not purchased, I was afraid the screen would bee too flimsy and the thing would wobble or list.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You know, I forgot those frogs had to have screens. I wouldn't really try the magnetic ledges on that. Sorry.

Thread Information