Thread: Frog keeps coming in the house?

Default Frog keeps coming in the house?

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and have no involvement with frogs so please bear with me.
    I live in Australia and have a little green frog that I keep finding in my kitchen. I'm not sure what species he is as I don't know anything about frogs, but I keep putting him outside and then a few days later he's back in my kitchen.

So I thought I'd find a frog forum and ask some frog enthusiasts what he may be looking for and how I can help him, or at least keep him safe? Do I leave him be to wander around the kitchen at his leisure? Do I keep putting him back outside? He's come back in three times now. I'm worried he'll come to grief if I leave him inside.

He seems reasonably tolerant of being handled now. Not that I want to, but I've had to pick him up to put him outside.

Here's a pic of him clung on to my kitchen tiles.

Any ideas?? What should I do with him? Where should I put him? Is he looking for a particular environment that he hasn't found in the spot I've been putting him? I've just been putting him in my herb garden.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog keeps coming in the house?

Is it the same frog? Maybe you have a large population that keeps wandering in? They're attracted to bugs that are attracted to light, so maybe that's why it likes your house.

You're right, it's probably a good idea to make sure it stays outside so it doesn't dry out or get stepped on. It may help to move it further away than your herb garden. If there's any source of water around nearby, move it generally in that direction.

If you decide to stop trying to keep it out, maybe put a shallow bowl of dechlorinated water on your floor. (You can get dechlorinating solution where ever you can buy stuff for pet fish.) If you decide to keep him as a pet, I've heard you have to have a license to keep pet frogs in Australia.

Edit: I don't know much about Australian frogs, it could be a Leaf Green Tree Frog?

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Is it the same frog? Maybe you have a large population that keeps wandering in? They're attracted to bugs that are attracted to light, so maybe that's why it likes your house.

You're right, it's probably a good idea to make sure it stays outside so it doesn't dry out or get stepped on. It may help to move it further away than your herb garden. If there's any source of water around nearby, move it generally in that direction.

If you decide to stop trying to keep it out, maybe put a shallow bowl of dechlorinated water on your floor. (You can get dechlorinating solution where ever you can buy stuff for pet fish.) If you decide to keep him as a pet, I've heard you have to have a license to keep pet frogs in Australia.

Edit: I don't know much about Australian frogs, it could be a Leaf Green Tree Frog?
    Hrm I couldn't guarantee that it's the same frog but I don't think there's a large frog population here. I'd probably more lean towards it being the same frog.
    I popped him back outside again, this time on an aloe vera plant and he seemed happy to stay there for a few hours. When I checked back later he was gone and I haven't seen him inside since so hopefully he's found somewhere more suitable.
    Thanks for your help!

Scrap that, just found him in my shower. Doh! (Excuse the rust)
    Maybe you're right... maybe there's a large population around here.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh no! hee.

Other than checking your home for cracks (even those that look too small for a frog to easily crawl through) I don't know how to discourage frogs. They think your home is a nice, cool place away from predators, apparently. You may have to relocate as needed.

If the intruding frogs get too bad you might want to remove shady plants too close to the house or standing water in your yard.

Nationality
    [United States]

I wouldn't worry unless your house starts to get blood, lice, locusts, etc.

Aliza

8. This member thanks acpart for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I understand not wanting random shower frogs, but at least so far it's only a plague of frog, singular.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The whole reason I got into frogs is because I used to,live on a ranch and would find frogs in the bathroom and kitchen. I would take them outside but they would come back. FI ally I realized it was really their house and felt privileged that they were willing to share it with me. I set up a pond on the kitchen table and started giving them crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is an adorable frog!!

Sent from my N7s Pro using Tapatalk

Thread Information