Thread: Excited about my new Cane Toad, but I've got questions!

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Excited about my new Cane Toad, but I've got questions!

Hello Fellow Toad Lovers!

I am new to the forum, and, as of yesterday, a beautiful, young, male cane toad has joined my amphibian family. I apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but I've got several questions and I'd greatly appreciate the help and input of any proficient cane toad owners willing to read it through!

-My toad continues to run into the walls of his glass aquarium, and I read that putting a background on 3 sides of his enclosure may help him to feel more secure and realize there's a wall there. I was wondering what material would be best to use as a background, and where might I find some that's a solid black or green? I don't like the tacky rain forest scene backgrounds the pet store has.

-I want to use live plants as decoration in his enclosure. Are there any plants that may be dangerous to him that I should avoid? Or, are there any plants you'd specifically recommend? From what I understand, cane toads can be destructive to more delicate plants.

-He is quite skittish, and afraid of my presence. Whenever I walk by he leaps in fear or crouches very low and "hides". He is a very young toad, and I've read they are more cautious when young, but is there anything I can do to help him settle in more and become more comfortable with me? Or is this something that will just takes time and age?

-Lastly, heat lamps!? I've encountered differing views regarding the use of heat lamps for amphibians. Some say it's fine, and others claim they can lead to dehydration. Up to this point, I've only owned chubby frogs, and they're enclosure is well heated by a heating mat. My cane toad is temporarily in a 10 gallon tank (I'll be moving him to a 75 gallon in the next week or two when I bring him to my apartment), and the heating mat I've attached to the side doesn't seem to be providing enough heat as it is. I'm wondering how I will adequately heat a 75 gallon without use of a lamp. Any suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated! I live in Illinois and these winters get cold! Wouldn't want to freeze the little guy.

Thank you for reading!

-Squish
    Last edited by Squish; February 22nd, 2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Layout was messed up

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Excited about my new Cane Toad, but I've got questions!

I had one and had to give it up after trying everything and would not settle to captivity after I tried everything. I don't think age has much of factor and I just generally don't think they made good captives after my experience with them, as I've never the problems I had after keeping loads of amphibians. Might be a hit or a miss though, as I've heard some say they make good pets. I'd suggest getting another toad to give it some company, might make it more bold. Although I haven't had a successful experience, after from caring for loads of amphibians and extensive research on this toads care I can advise some stuff that may be of help.

A 3 sided background is a must for these, as they are skittish. You can get black or green aquarium backgrounds, if you don't like the rainforest ones. If you're using live plants then keep them in the pots for ease of maintenance and so the toad doesn't wreck them. Supply a 2% fluorescent tube covering 2/3 of the length of the tank for the plants and the toad. Try looking online for somewhere that sells plants specificity for reptiles and amphibians, so they're clean of chemicals that could be dangerous and they will be able to recommend some suitable plants.

A heat mat on the wall is pointless. I've tried it many times hoping for good results but unless you have an tree frog that climbs up the wall, they're little use as they only heat the glass and slightly raise the temp an inch or so away from it at best, though work well underneath. A heat lamp or ceramic heat emitter is a better option and as long as you keep the humidity in the tank high and provide retreats, the toad won't dehydrate but you'll probably need to use a fogger and or partially cover the screen top with glass, foil or plastic wrap to maintain humidity.

Here's a good read on their care http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...s-pets-part-1/

Also I'd recommend the book Frogs and toads by Devin Edmonds, as it has a small section on how to set them up and care for them

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you again Jason, I appreciate your help. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences keeping cane toads. From what I understand they tend to be docile and confident, and can be quite enjoyable pets. They are easily my favorite toad, and I've wanted one for a long time. My fingers are crossed that he'll settle in and calm down over time, but I'll keep your input in mind.

I'll definitely look into the online reptile/amphibian plant stores, and your advise on how to maintain them within the enclosure is helpful. Any chance you know of any websites for this market you'd recommend?

I'm glad I asked or I'd be out another 40 bucks for a pointless heat mat! I've got a lamp awaiting use already. I understand nights tend to be cooler and I don't want to disrupt my toad's natural cycles, but the nights can be very cold during Illinois winters. I have a 40 watt moonlight bulb awaiting a purpose; using this bulb, would it be okay to leave the heat lamp on overnight when the weather is super cold?

Thanks again for your help!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No problem

As I live in scotland the only US site I know is joshs frogs but if you look for dart frog stores they will usually sell plants.

They can be left on overnight and are less disturbing than normal bulbs but I've had mixed experiences with them, some animals won't come out until they're switched off. For 24 hour heat a ceramic heat emitter is probably best and if you want to then view the animal you could then use a low wattage red or purple bulb or led light for a few hours.

Thread Information