Thread: Thoughts on current FBT tank build

Default Thoughts on current FBT tank build

Hi everyone, I'm currently putting together my first FBT enclosure which is a 37g tank. It measures 30x18x12 and wanted to get your opinions and thoughts on it. I'm going more with a terrestial setup (for now) and want a water source that can be removed and cleaned when needed. I'm looking at using possibly using the tupper wear container that is in there now just because the height and depth are almost perfect for a soaking pool. Currently there are two live plants int he terrarium, a spider plant and a young ivy. I plan on picking somethings up (hides, and fake plans) on Thursday in addition to the FBT's themselves.

Link to the picture of the setup on photobucket below since it won't let me post pictures or embed them for some reason.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...psi2b4hhj8.jpg

Things I'm hoping to get suggestions on:

Water Container: Other water container options ? I know this will work but I would like to find something that looks more natural. I'm avoiding building a divider with silicon because this will eventually be converted to a semi-aquatic setup and i would rather not have to worry about the silicon leaking, etc. Also any suggestions besides gravel on how to make a sloping platform in the water for ease of access ?

I live in PA should I get a hydrometer ? What about a heat pad? I have a thermometer already that I can use and know FBT's don't have specifics for this stuff I'm just planning ahead as just in case (I live in a drafty old house.)

Any decor suggestions ? I plan on having 2 MAYBE 3 FBT's in this enclosure and want them to be comfortable and have plenty of room to roam.

btw that container is super wide, it's almost as wide as the enclosure but there is a path on either side large enough for a frog to get through.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Thoughts on current FBT tank build

I think the best way is to slope gravel, hold it in place with cork bark and then top the land with sphagnum moss (not green moss) and plants and more cork bark. Put a gentle filter in the water section and you'll only need to do weekly partial water changes and flushin the sphagnum. These toads benefit from UVB and do a 5-7% above mesh should be provided or 2% inside the tank, this will supply the necessary heat and humidity won't be a problem in a semi aquatic set up. 3 or more will do well on the tank. I'd say the minimum would be 10 Gals and then maybe estimate a toad every 5 gals

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'd have more water than land. Mine spend way more time in the water than out of it. For the parts I want as dry land, I just pile medium to large size gravel up till I get above the desired water level, then add whatever material is desired for the land portion. Plants are self watering when you do it this way as their roots get down to the water in the gravel layer. I feel that the plants help keep the water clean and also the gravel should be a good place for nitrosomonas and nitrobacter to colonize and also help maintain your water quality.

The drawbacks can be that your land areas are higher and leaves slightly less vertical space for plants. And the larger your viv, the amount of gravel needed can get quickly make your viv too heavy. However for my w20" x d10" x h12" (w50cm x d25cm x h30cm) tank, neither of these has been an issue. I have my land adjusted so it takes one full gallon (3.8Litres) of water. As I use no pumps or filters I change it every 7 to 10 days.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, I would have to agree with the above posts that you want more land then water. I just recently rehomed my 4 FBT but when I had them they spent 80% of the time in the water, even when eating I find they will catch the item and then bring back to the water to eat. Another suggestions if you want something that you can just remove and clean for a water area is a nice big paint tray that you would use with a roller. It would take up at least half that tank and its even already sloped for change in water depth. And you could bury it right up to the edge so it doesn't look out of place because the tray would be submerged in the bedding. I got the idea from one of the moderators that used to use them with her tree frogs. But I would have to agree that the sloped gravel with some substrate of your choice on top is the best option and looks the most natural. And remember that when looking for lights and heating that these guys don't like it to hot, I kept my guys at 75F during the day with a little basking area right under the light of about 78F. Then at night I would let it drop a few degrees.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It looks okay, but not for a semi-aquatic species unless you plan on brumating it. I suggest a half and half tank with 25%-35% land and the rest water. I'd also use sand for the water section, as it can grow aquatic plants, which will help the frogs environment wise, and décor wise. Next step is to try to fashion yourself a tank divider, such as a log or some pexi-glass or something safe for frogs. (Large rocks with no water able to go underneath them would work, as would large pieces of décor) For the land section, use coconut husk or something similar, and "decorate" it with live plants, fake plants, and hides. This will help them camouflage themselves so they won't get stressed. UVB would probably be beneficial as well, so they can make their own calcium and other important vitamins, and I believe it helps them to keep their colors, as well as helping the plants you have stay alive. This isn't necessary, but I'd put a feeding dish in their tank so they know where the food comes from (So you could feed them new foods easier) and to make sure they don't eat any substrate when they lunge at something. Some great foods include whole or chopped Canadian night-crawlers, (Worms, you can get these at Walmart and fishing stores, they are fairly big and lobed, not red like the compost worm or red wiggler) Dubia roaches, (A good staple, use these, crickets/locusts, and worms for the best and healthiest animals) and crickets/locusts. (With these, either supply UVB for the animals, dust them with a multivitamin, or gut-load them, which means feed the crickets foods that will be healthy for the frog) Other foods like meal-worms, super-worms, wax-worms, feeder fish, and insects you found outside should be avoided for several reasons. The ones you find outside may either directly harm the frog if it gets away, (Like a spider or scorpion) or have pesticides or parasites already in it which could harm your pet. Feeder fish present a similar problem, they are full of parasites, as well as being high in fat and hard to digest properly. Wax-worms are good for rehabilitating a sick, injured, skinny, or a captive that is not feeding, because they are extremely high in fat as well. Super-worms and meal-worms are hard to digest, and may burrow and come out as a beetle, (Not really bad for the frogs, if any survive you could start a culture of them) and are even harder to digest that way. Here's some care-sheets to help you out: http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...-and-relatives http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...-Bellied-Toad/ http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...-Bellied-Toad/ http://www.theamphibian.co.uk/fire-b..._caresheet.htm And thanks for diving into the world of reptiles and amphibians, it's a very rewarding hobby, buying your first couple animals

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm going to the upgrade to the tank now instead of later. Tomorrow I'm going to get out all the substrate, and soil I have in the container and get it ready for a semi aquatic. Looks like Thursday's shopping list just got bigger and more expensive lol.

I'm going to finish the tank update tomorrow once I get the rest of the stuff. I'm picking up a reptifilter, some aquarium river rock gravel, 3 hides, and some reptile substrate. The left side will be filled in with gravel and have the substrate added on top of it so no empty spaces will be left, and will have the hides, and the plants I had in it will be re-added.Since Fire-bellied toads live along river banks and thanks to your suggestions I decided to do a rive bank theme. I found rocks that passed the vinegar test, and then sterilized them with boiling water. I think this is going to look fantastic ! Thoughts ?

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...psxdbkxiba.jpg

Final build.
    http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...pscjaaygxo.jpg

Might add another plant in the front left corner. I picked up a new background, 3 hides (only 2 fit) gravel, the filter a screen lid, and a hydrometer/thermometer combo. Thanks again for all the help everyone !

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Looks good!! Tip: put some sphagnum moss on top of the soil so they don't track the coir into the water. Don't use green moss though, just high quality sphagnum.

11. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Would have to agree looks good. One more little tip, if those are small white stones on that flat rock and in the wood hut I would take it out. If you end up feeding them on there they could possibly eat one. Sometimes they will over or under shoot there food when trying to catch it or the cricket moves and he ends up getting the little stone. I had it happen once and luckily I was right there to catch the little bugger and pop it out before he swallowed it, he looked like he had a mouth full of pearly white teeth and he was smiling. I know you see a lot of setups were they use these little stones but IMO its just not worth the risk.

Agree on removing the small stones and adding spagnum to the coir. Otherwise looks good. You might also consider some floating plants or java moss. They like to sit in the water and have something to hold onto or hide in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Love it it's a 20 long right I love all my frogs but when I experimented with majority water set ups. They spent most of their time on the land, So I switched it to a majority land now guess what they spend most of their time in the water I love them but they are picky little buggers

15. This member thanks Firebellyman for this post:

Thread Information