Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Figuring out what toad is right for me?

Default Figuring out what toad is right for me?

Hello guys. I have been on and off on here for a while. Had plenty of pets some I rehomed due to some issues I had in the past, but now I feel I am ready for something again. I am looking to keep a toad or a few in a habitat that's either a 40breeder or a 75gallon tank. I was hoping for something that isn't SUPER shy, I remember having a cane toad and it died within a month for some reason(It threw up somewhite stuff and died) I've had normal american toads that lived for like 3 -6 years but I don't know if that's their life span... I forgot about this stuff...

I am trying to get the basics down and find something that'll last quite a while. I am currently 24 years old and a lot of time to spare and SOME money to burn.

I do like cane toads but I am not so sure since I hear they're pretty skittish. Would it make a difference if I got them smaller? Does anyone know where I can get small cane toads? Like toadlets or something? For a 75 gallon tank how many toads can I fit in there comfortably without even overcrowding them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Figuring out what toad is right for me?

If you're open to making a semi-aquatic tank, you could keep Bombina species (Which I know aren't really toads) which are nice in colors, personality, and make great pets. Here's our care-sheet on them if you're interested: http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...-and-relatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    If you're open to making a semi-aquatic tank, you could keep Bombina species (Which I know aren't really toads) which are nice in colors, personality, and make great pets. Here's our care-sheet on them if you're interested: http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...-and-relatives
    what about real toads? ps thank you

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well if you want real toads, I suggest the American toad, they're small and easy captives when I owned them

Bumblebee Toads are a possibility, but they can be expensive captive bred.
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

7. This member thanks Strider18 for this post:

Well if you want real toads, I suggest the American toad, they're small and easy captives when I owned them
    i dont mind the size just wanted something longlived

Banned
    Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

Have you looked into the yellow spotted climbing toads? Josh's frogs breeds and sells them. They are the only climbing toad species, get a decent size and are beautiful, spectacular animals. A 75 gal would work quite well for a group of 3-5 as long as it is tall rather than long. You can always convert a long tank to a tall as well.

If you want more toads, then I second Strider18 on bumblebee toads. They are quite a bit smaller but they waddle around which is quite funny. Very bright colors on these little things too.

Remember, toads are frogs. Don't limit your search to "toads" because they are a frogs; toads simply have some characteristics that are a bit different(shorter legs, bumpy skin.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

If the American toads only lived 3- 6 years they were either very old or something went wrong, they've been known to live well into their 30's.
    Fowler's toads aren't shy at all. Often they're out in the daytime.
    I've never kept Sonoran desert toads but I've read that they're the least shy and most outgoing of them all and rarely hide.

11. This member thanks Dace for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Like others have said - bumble bee toads or yellow spotted climbing toads!

I have a Cane Toad and I really wouldn't recommend them. Mine is skittish, came to me with a parasite load and it's just failing to adjust to captivity. They're probably a hit or a miss because of them being wild caught but I took the chance because they're collected from invasive populations. I wouldn't recommend any other wild caught toads either, unless you catch them yourself, so not to contribute to the stressful collecting for the pet trade.

Quote Originally Posted by glutes View Post
    Have you looked into the yellow spotted climbing toads? Josh's frogs breeds and sells them. They are the only climbing toad species, get a decent size and are beautiful, spectacular animals. A 75 gal would work quite well for a group of 3-5 as long as it is tall rather than long. You can always convert a long tank to a tall as well.

If you want more toads, then I second Strider18 on bumblebee toads. They are quite a bit smaller but they waddle around which is quite funny. Very bright colors on these little things too.

Remember, toads are frogs. Don't limit your search to "toads" because they are a frogs; toads simply have some characteristics that are a bit different(shorter legs, bumpy skin.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have looked at those toads they just dont appeal to me. I prefer regular toads because of how they look

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Like others have said - bumble bee toads or yellow spotted climbing toads!

I have a Cane Toad and I really wouldn't recommend them. Mine is skittish, came to me with a parasite load and it's just failing to adjust to captivity. They're probably a hit or a miss because of them being wild caught but I took the chance because they're collected from invasive populations. I wouldn't recommend any other wild caught toads either, unless you catch them yourself, so not to contribute to the stressful collecting for the pet trade.
    I figured they are skittish but im not sure i can find captive bred toads...

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    If the American toads only lived 3- 6 years they were either very old or something went wrong, they've been known to live well into their 30's.
    I've never kept Sonoran desert toads but I've read that they're the least shy and most outgoing of them all and rarely hide.
    I do like those. Though not sure if they're frail... I caught my toads from a forest by my house... They were caught as adults... Not sure what went wrong but yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    Bumblebee Toads are a possibility, but they can be expensive captive bred.
    I saw the bumblebees and im not fond of small amphibians because i got horrible eye sight and cant see small objects well... This is why i am aiming for something bigger

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post

Yes, this. All my Fowler's toads were bold and outgoing, and lived long lives

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I do like those. Though not sure if they're frail... I caught my toads from a forest by my house... They were caught as adults... Not sure what went wrong but yeah...
    They shouldn't be frail, under right conditions, they should be bold and outgoing, it's probably because you caught them as adults, since spring is coming, when the rains come, go looking for toadlets or tadpoles you can raise, as mine did very well in captivity

Yes, this. All my Fowler's toads were bold and outgoing, and lived long lives
    how do you tell americans and fowlers apart? also i forgot their care....

They shouldn't be frail, under right conditions, they should be bold and outgoing, it's probably because you caught them as adults, since spring is coming, when the rains come, go looking for toadlets or tadpoles you can raise, as mine did very well in captivity
    i sadly only find adult toads

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

how do you tell americans and fowlers apart? also i forgot their care....
    These two articles should help: http://srelherp.uga.edu/anurans/bufame.htm http://srelherp.uga.edu/anurans/buffow.htm and this should help with care, A. americanus and A.fowleri have very similar care requirements and behaviors, it only matters if you want certain colors. Here are those care-sheets: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...ding-And-Care/ http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/natu...-fowlers-toad/

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i sadly only find adult toads
    Where there are adults, their offspring must be around there somewhere. Keep looking, especially in the spring when there are many freshly morphed toadlets. Look for a vernal or fish-less pond, and either look in the water for tadpoles or eggs, or around logs and other cover around and in the general vicinity of it to look for toadlets. Don't give up if you don't find them immediately, just keep searching until you find them. That's all I have to say

Where there are adults, their offspring must be around there somewhere. Keep looking, especially in the spring when there are many freshly morphed toadlets. Look for a vernal or fish-less pond, and either look in the water for tadpoles or eggs, or around logs and other cover around and in the general vicinity of it to look for toadlets. Don't give up if you don't find them immediately, just keep searching until you find them. That's all I have to say
    just found out its illegal to catch toads in nj..... where can i buy captive bred?

24. This member thanks Deku for this post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information