Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Figuring out what toad is right for me?

Default Re: Figuring out what toad is right for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    These two articles should help: http://srelherp.uga.edu/anurans/bufame.htm http://srelherp.uga.edu/anurans/buffow.htm and this should help with care, A. americanus and A.fowleri have very similar care requirements and behaviors, it only matters if you want certain colors. Here are those care-sheets: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...ding-And-Care/ http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/natu...-fowlers-toad/
    i wanted reds,browns, and grey what temp do they need?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

American toads are not often CB, it's the same with Hyla cinerea, (The Green tree-frog) or Lithobates catesbeianus. (American bullfrog) Here's one I could find: http://www.carolina.com/toads/small-...of-3/146760.pr And room temperature (70-75 degrees) with some UVB should be find, you can ask me or other members any time if you have any questions or need help

4. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

American toads are not often CB, it's the same with Hyla cinerea, (The Green tree-frog) or Lithobates catesbeianus. (American bullfrog) Here's one I could find: http://www.carolina.com/toads/small-...of-3/146760.pr And room temperature (70-75 degrees) with some UVB should be find, you can ask me or other members any time if you have any questions or need help
    hmm i just read the permits thingy and i think ill go with a group of americans and fowlers toad. Just because they dont need permits. Just wish i could buy toadlets(1.5-2inches) so i can be sure they're young. I wanna buy them because should the authorities find out i didnt buy them properly... I dont want to even see their faces at my door. That being said are there other reputable sites that legally sell toads? I am thinking of getting all females so i am not kept up at night with all their calling. Is uvb really required for them? Maybe thats what did it. If and when i do get them. I plan on taking them to a vet so they can clear them of any parasites they may hold... What would be a good way to keep their habitat at 72-75 degrees? I want something you can control in the heat output. Also heard they love moths. Where can i buy moths as treats? How much would i spend at the vet?(so i can set money aside) would a tank thats 36inch long x 18 inch wide and 18inch or higher hold how many toads?

6. This member thanks Deku for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

UVB is essentially a way to make sure they can produce their own calcium and necessities for their bones, you could supply calcium dust, but it's easier to get a UVB bulb every 6 months than to dust their food twice a week or so. I doubt it was parasites, under right conditions, they don't die from them unless their immune system is lowered in some way. (Fighting off an illness for example) Any description of what happened?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    hmm i just read the permits thingy and i think ill go with a group of americans and fowlers toad. Just because they dont need permits. Just wish i could buy toadlets(1.5-2inches) so i can be sure they're young. I wanna buy them because should the authorities find out i didnt buy them properly... I dont want to even see their faces at my door. That being said are there other reputable sites that legally sell toads? I am thinking of getting all females so i am not kept up at night with all their calling. Is uvb really required for them? Maybe thats what did it. If and when i do get them. I plan on taking them to a vet so they can clear them of any parasites they may hold... What would be a good way to keep their habitat at 72-75 degrees? I want something you can control in the heat output. Also heard they love moths. Where can i buy moths as treats? How much would i spend at the vet?(so i can set money aside) would a tank thats 36inch long x 18 inch wide and 18inch or higher hold how many toads?
    Well if you need to make sure that it stays around the mid 70 degree range, lighting would help, (With temperature and UVB) as would a under tank heating mat. I'd also put some live plants in their tank so it holds humidity and they don't get stressed. Wax-worms are a moth larva if you can find them, but most moths and their relatives are high in fat, so only feed them occasionally
    Last edited by Cliygh and Mia 2; February 21st, 2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This is the only other place I could find that sells them, but they are sadly out of stock: http://www.reptilesncritters.com/american-toads.html You could make a reminder to automatically update you if they get some in stock. You could also try putting a wanted add here and on Kingsnake.com: http://market.kingsnake.com/

UVB is essentially a way to make sure they can produce their own calcium and necessities for their bones, you could supply calcium dust, but it's easier to get a UVB bulb every 6 months than to dust their food twice a week or so. I doubt it was parasites, under right conditions, they don't die from them unless their immune system is lowered in some way. (Fighting off an illness for example) Any description of what happened?
    They were eating and acting fine... Until one day they just died... I didnt exactly happened to see them die.

Well if you need to make sure that it stays around the mid 70 degree range, lighting would help, (With temperature and UVB) as would a under tank heating mat. I'd also put some live plants in their tank so it holds humidity and they don't get stressed. Wax-worms are a moth larva if you can find them, but most moths and their relatives are high in fat, so only feed them occasionally
    Would they be happy eating their larva or is it not the same? I wouldn't feed it often moths just as a treat.

This is the only other place I could find that sells them, but they are sadly out of stock: http://www.reptilesncritters.com/american-toads.html You could make a reminder to automatically update you if they get some in stock. You could also try putting a wanted add here and on Kingsnake.com: http://market.kingsnake.com/
    Id honestly prefer to catch them myself that way i could pick out healthy and colorful individuals. I certainly want a red one too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Would they be happy eating their larva or is it not the same? I wouldn't feed it often moths just as a treat.
    It's the same, unless you want to give them a work out trying to grab the flying moths

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Id honestly prefer to catch them myself that way i could pick out healthy and colorful individuals. I certainly want a red one too.
    That's true, I owned an orange phase one, he was awesome, I miss him

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Apparently if you do it right, you can have a culture of moths if you like: http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....5980#post55980

It's the same, unless you want to give them a work out trying to grab the flying moths
    Naw i feel they're lazy like me. Lol ima just give em the larvae

17. This member thanks Deku for this post:

Apparently if you do it right, you can have a culture of moths if you like: http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....5980#post55980
    Ehh i wouldnt want to culture them incase they got out theyd be annoying to deal with

19. This member thanks Deku for this post:

That's true, I owned an orange phase one, he was awesome, I miss him
    I really wish i could just catch one... I feel if i just tell them what i want they probably wont listen...

21. This member thanks Deku for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's why I said for you to place an add, you could tell them you only want red phase ones, and just wait. There's bound to be at least one

That's why I said for you to place an add, you could tell them you only want red phase ones, and just wait. There's bound to be at least one
    i see. Well i just want different colors so i can tell them apart and females so they dont make noise at night since they'd be in my bedroom.

24. This member thanks Deku for this post:

Also has anyone seen them get bigger than 4inches? I feel like i have

26. This member thanks Deku for this post:

I know someone mentioned that toads are frogs too but the only frogs that catch my attention asides toads would be pacmans(females to be precise), then pixie frogs, then budgets frog. I actually love round, fat and predatory animals. I either like somewhat outgoing ones or the really lazy ones. I enjoy both spectrums now that i think about it. I just had issues with pacmans cause i had one and it died in a week... And i did everything the careguide said. The longest lived pacman ive had lived for a year. It died on my fault... I was taking it outside on a normal day and i was right next to it and it wasnt even that hot for it. IT was in the shade.... I was cleaning her tank and i turn around and shes on her back dead. ;-; she was my favorite... I love the one in the youtube video "the mountain! 9 month old female ornate pacman frog" i love how round she is. But the problem for these is you need a permit and i dont know any reputable petstores... The petstore around me everythinh i got from there dies... Thats why i wanted a toad because they seem more resilient and more manegable.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also has anyone seen them get bigger than 4inches? I feel like i have
    A gravid female Fowler's toad I found while herping once was 5 inches in length

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information