Thread: Help with sexing p sauvagii monkey frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Help with sexing p sauvagii monkey frogs

Finally managed to get a picture link on here.

I know that it is an educated guessing game, but I am hoping someone can help me with the sex of these two. I know they are in amplexus position but that does not necessarily mean anything. They decided to do this on Valentine's night.

I have found nuptial pads on three of my frogs so I am really hoping the fourth is a female. And, I can't be sure if the one on the bottom is the "female", I think so, but can't really tell until I take them out to weigh them and look at their feet

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...%2015%2016.jpg
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Help with sexing p sauvagii monkey frogs

Looks very likely to me!
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    Looks very likely to me!
    Squealing with delight!

Now I (as well as the males) just have to have PATIENCE until she is older-she's about 8 months now.

UNLESS-you think I should abandon all conventional wisdom and put them in the chamber. She has gained 10 grams (22%) in a week and been ravenous, and they ARE still in the position with him holding on for dear life. And, there is a rare rain front moving in tonight. Just sayin'.

I can hear you all the way from England telling me it won't happen, sigh.
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Well, you never know! I've noticed female growth rates can be phenomenal, it's not impossible that this is to bring them into breeding condition as soon as possible. As the males have nuptial pads and as ever ever are in the 'the mood' it could be worth a try.
    HOWEVER, placing sauvagii in a rain chamber is fraught with danger, nothing kills them quicker than humidity so be VERY careful if you are going to attempt it.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Thread Information