Thread: Sick frog or not? - Rico

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Sick frog or not? - Rico

So, Rico has been in his water dish for about 4 days now, day and night, for 4 days.

Idk if he's been eating or not, hard to tell because the crickets could burrow.

He looks normal, but his pupils are huge? Is that ok?

he's his normal color.

But then again we havent cleaned his cage for 2.5 weeks or so.
    Doing it tommorow.

If you guys could give me some awnsers that'd be awesome guys... Thanks.
    RicoThePacman

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick frog or not? - Rico

Has he been in it 24/7 or just at night? Sometimes they'll go in to try help squeeze one out.

It's best to tong feed crickets so you can monitor how many crickets the frog is eating and make sure it gets the most of the supplements.

Their pupils will be big at night, like ours do.

You can go up to a month without cleaning in 15-20 gal set ups as long as you spot clean frequently but in a 10 gal probably every 2 weeks will be best.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Has he been in it 24/7 or just at night? Sometimes they'll go in to try help squeeze one out.

It's best to tong feed crickets so you can monitor how many crickets the frog is eating and make sure it gets the most of the supplements.

Their pupils will be big at night, like ours do.

You can go up to a month without cleaning in 15-20 gal set ups as long as you spot clean frequently but in a 10 gal probably every 2 weeks will be best.

It's been for 4 days straight, day and night. He is still in it right now.
    RicoThePacman

Nationality
    [Canada]

Have you tried takeing him out of the water to see what he does? If not clean out his tank like you said and see if when you put him back in if he goes straight for the water. What is your humidity like in the terrarium? I know your not far from me and the temps and humidity outside have dropped a lot the last few days since this cold front has came in, if its not humid enough and there isn't enough moisture in his substrate this could cause him to want to stay in the water. Right now its - 39c here in barrie, my Siberian husky didn't even want to stay outside this morning.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Have you tried takeing him out of the water to see what he does? If not clean out his tank like you said and see if when you put him back in if he goes straight for the water. What is your humidity like in the terrarium? I know your not far from me and the temps and humidity outside have dropped a lot the last few days since this cold front has came in, if its not humid enough and there isn't enough moisture in his substrate this could cause him to want to stay in the water. Right now its - 39c here in barrie, my Siberian husky didn't even want to stay outside this morning.

Took him out, and he went inside of his coconut. His water seemed VERY Chilly. The thermometer displays 92f, And it never has before, so I think the thermometer may be shot aswell. For the ground temps. Felt colder then 92f in his cage, thats for sure. Im going to the pet store today.

What should I grab?
    RicoThePacman

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

You using a heat mat? If so put it on a thermostat, they easily heat up to that temperature when used without, which is why a thermostat must always be used. Use a digital thermometer to monitor temps.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you mean gauge wise you should try to grab the exoterra digital 2-1, this is the one I have had the best results with. To be honest though I use thermostats on all my tanks, this way is headache and worry free really. They are really good for those up and down temps in the summer months, You don't have to worry about your temps going to high and cooking your frog while your at work or out and about if you get a really hot day.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Cory, I've found the 2-1 thermo-hygrometer to be bad when using a heat source. When you're using it to measure the temperature of the heater, you'll probably get a bad humidity reading due to the drying effect of the heater. I try putting hygrometers in the middle of the tank, away from the heater but also away from the water dish, to give a ambient humidity reading, as obviously under the heat source will be dryer and the water dish side will be more humid. Nowadays I tend not to bother with hygrometers, though. I find they work for a week or so and then fail.

Thermostats aren't always necessary with light sources as you can just adjust the wattage to get the required temperature, heat mats/pads on the other hand heat up to about the same temperature no matter how high the wattage, it's just more power to heat a larger area, so a thermostat must be used to regulate it, as you can't do it yourself.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Cory, I've found the 2-1 thermo-hygrometer to be bad when using a heat source. When you're using it to measure the temperature of the heater, you'll probably get a bad humidity reading due to the drying effect of the heater. I try putting hygrometers in the middle of the tank, away from the heater but also away from the water dish, to give a ambient humidity reading, as obviously under the heat source will be dryer and the water dish side will be more humid. Nowadays I tend not to bother with hygrometers, though. I find they work for a week or so and then fail.

Thermostats aren't always necessary with light sources as you can just adjust the wattage to get the required temperature, heat mats/pads on the other hand heat up to about the same temperature no matter how high the wattage, it's just more power to heat a larger area, so a thermostat must be used to regulate it, as you can't do it yourself.
    I have a heat mat, and a heat lamp.

The ground probe displays 93F while the air temp is displayed at 70-75F.

I've always had so much sh*t of a hassle with heating. I really have no idea why.

By the way, do the thermostats adjust the wattage running to the heat mat to make it proper tempature? And you have a reader so it knows when its suppost to adjust, right?
    RicoThePacman

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

You won't need both, unless you use the heat mat for at night. It's best to either heat one way or the other though so the frog can learn to escape the heat, it might get confused if it's coming in two directions. Heat mats will do this, they'll warm the ground up, mostly the bottom glass but not do much to the ambient. When using a heat mat pay attention to the bottom glass temperature, where the frog will burrow down to and keep it no higher than 85F max. Unstated heat mats will get too high and the frog may burn itself, though I've never seen any evidence on this happening but if you place the thermometer and thermostat probe under the substrate directly on the mat, there will be no chance of harming the frog.

Yeah, they'll adjust the power supplied or turn it off when it reaches the temp set to and back on when it cools down. It's like a dimmer switch but safer as it may prevent failures if a heat mat were to overheat. Unfortunately some manufactures don't emphasise the importance of this piece of equipment but I'd never use a heat mat without one and yes it has a probe and you can adjust the temp on the thermostat.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Im just seeing this now and do agree that putting the gauge in the middle is probably the best place to get an ambient reading. But if hes misting both sides of the tank the warm end will have higher humidity due to warm air holds more moisture. Even if the water bowl is on the cool side if its not being warmed enough to evaporate and go into the air its not going to make much of difference. I put my water bowls right in the middle of the enclosure, it doesn't get to hot but warms enough to help with humidity.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

It gives a higher humidity for a while but the hygrometer itself gets dried out from the heat source and then says it's a lot less humid than the rest of the tank, meaning you could mist too much. With horned frogs all but the cornuta are very hardy with humidity and seem to do fine with temporary increases rather than constant high humidity, as after all they're not tropical but sub-tropical (accept from the cornuta). I don't use a hygrometer on mine, never will, just keep the substrate moist.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't use them either to be honest, and now I understand what you were trying to say. Yes I agree that the constant heat and it getting wet from misting and stuff does make them a bit unaccurate and its very easy to over mist or even under mist .I thought you were saying that cold air will be more humid and hold more moisture then warm. I have all of mine hooked up to a hydrotherm so it keeps everything in check, there the zoo med ones. And I actually bought a really good humidifier for the frog room that you can set a desired setting and it will keep it there, I keep the frog room at 50%. So again yes I agree that they are more of a headache for some then anything else, but for some one that doesn't have as much experience as You and I that can tell by eye if its to humid or not they should try to have some kind of gauge to give them an idea of what it is.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I like the look of those hygrotherms but I can't get them in the UK, they won't fit the plugs and can't use an adapter for them either. In a way they're more dangerous than nothing for beginners as they'll pay more attention the hygrometer than the tank itself and if the hygrometer is wrong then they might mist too much or not enough. As a rule, I keep most phibs moist but not wet and I usually mist tropical animals daily and sub-tropicals every other day but I guess it will depend on what heat source your using but if it looks dry then just mist but don't soak the tank.

Thread Information