Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog Emotions

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog Emotions

I know I've seen people say that frogs don't feel emotions like loneliness or joy before, but I have heard on multiple occasions that red eyed tree frogs like company of their own kind. Is this true? If not, will they still do well in a community with other retfs?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Emotions

When I had red eyes I purchased two and they were good but not sure what they're like own their own but my American greens stay close together and when I had fire bellied toads, I found the fed better when in groups. If the frogs feeding it should be fine, most frogs I think are only in groups when it comes to breeding

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry, they don't feel emotions but communal frogs do better in groups. Red eyes just like most of tree frogs would be "happier" in a company of their own, provided they are housed in adequate enclosures and there are no bullies in a tank. Meaning you need to think through the design, provide more then one " nice" spot and more then one feeding bowl.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Okay, thanks. And I assume what you mean by they don't feel emotions is that they only feel emotions they need for survival, like fear?

Nationality
    [Canada]

No, I meant they feel either hungry or stressed out, or full and not stressed out. That would be it
    emotions in our understanding can feel only species with more developed brain.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Ok, thanks lol. I guess I worded it wrong, I meant things like stress, but I used the wrong word :P

Nationality
    [United States]

I think the word is "behaviors"; they instinctively behave in ways most conducive to their survival. As prey animals, that generally means being able to escape being eaten long enough to reproduce. Struggling to escape ("stressed out") is a behavior to allow them to hide; "happy" to see a bug is a feeding behavior or response. Grouping together is another survival behavior; a predator can only eat one at a time so some will get away. So really the absence of being stressed (I am well hidden, I have a food source, my conditions are right, I have company) is equal to what we call being happy.

Knowing all this, there is nothing wrong with thinking that a frog that is snuggled up to a buddy, well-fed and content, is "happy". That is why they come with smiles (well, that and so they can have a huge mouth the better to eat big bugs but that is another story)
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

9. This member thanks Monkey Business for this post:

Banned
    Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

I don't think frogs feel emotions, other than hunger!! Some reptiles are capable of experiencing some limited emotions, but I truly believe that frogs can't. They are purely instinctual creatures. Their drive to constantly consume more food amazes me though lol. My whites often will sit on top of one another; I believe this may be an act of dominance, similar to bearded dragon behavior. I can't prove that theory, but it definitely appears that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information