Thread: Weird question, I can't figure out

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Weird question, I can't figure out

So my frog is burrowed in the coco husk/dirt.

But, she either uncovers herself so she's still buried but completely visible, OR she covers herself in husk so she's no visible.

It's different at different times of day, I assume very well it's to do with temperature, but my question is which action applies to whether she's too hot/cold.

Both make sense, if she's too hot shell take off the husk to try to let air in, or if she's too cold, shell take off the husk to allow more heat lamp on her!

Any input?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Weird question, I can't figure out

I've found my horned frog, a very similar frog, to burrow when both too hot or too cold or and when humidity is off, though it always comes out at night to hunt. If it's exposed under the heat lamp then it's could be either cold or enjoying a bask under the lights. Keep temps right and soil moist and don't worry.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Agree with Jason. Check your humidity, especially since I see you are from Calgary
    it can be nothing, just seasonal, but to be sure if you need to adjust anything - please answer to the questions below, and if all is good, no need to worry

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure” The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure?

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences?

3. Humidity?

4. Temperature?

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish?

6. Materials used for substrate?

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv?

8. Main food source?

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?)

10. Lighting?

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure?

12. When is the last time he/she ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats?

20. How often the frog is handled?

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Agree with Jason. Check your humidity, especially since I see you are from Calgary
    it can be nothing, just seasonal, but to be sure if you need to adjust anything - please answer to the questions below, and if all is good, no need to worry

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure” The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure?

It's a 1ft x 3ft roughly and 1 ft tall

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences?

One female bullfrog

3. Humidity?

The coco husk gets soaked so it's very moist, and i mist a few times a day to keep the surface fairly dark

4. Temperature?

I just ordered a new thermometer, digital probe, but have two -100 heat lams, usually one going at a time, regular and one red night time

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish?

De-chlorinated water, I have a water dish that i place the frog in during/after eating, but she jumps out after she's done going to the bathroom

6. Materials used for substrate?

​Coco husk, the other half is sand with moss (changing this side to a huge swimming area)

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv?

Had one plant (made sure it was frog safe but just removed today) one tree bark hiding hut

8. Main food source?

Ate her first mouse today, been doing super worms for the past year

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?)

I would sprinkle cricket duster on the super worms so they could eat it

10. Lighting?

2-100watt bulbs, one running at a time. regular and red night time. Just ordered a black night lamp and a blue incandescent

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure?

Thermometer that didn't seem to be working, ordered a new digital probe

12. When is the last time he/she ate?

5 minutes ago, eats regularly about one/twice a week

13. Have you found poop lately?

Saw her taking one just after eating the mouse

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

Will take one and post a new thread to get opinions on enclosure when I change the water area this weekend

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

None

16. How old is the frog?

About 2 and a half years

17. How long have you owned him/her?

About 2 and a half years

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

Bought from a pet store when it was a baby

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats?

Superworms, a few horned worms, first mouse today =]

20. How often the frog is handled?

Only when it is time to feed...1/2 times a week

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area?

Low traffic, my bedroom

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

I change the water when the frog is fed as it is the only time it bathes. it loves to swim so therefore i am going back to half
    water /half land coco husk

Nationality
    [Canada]

cocohusk ( too rough, impaction risk) and the fact that you feed very fattening diet ( like hamburger and fries diet for humans

still a question of humidity and temps, but I don't think there is anything to worry about just yet, but you better switch to healthy diet
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Agree with Lija, coco husk is a not an ideal substrate and coir is much better and more easily passed. Also moss, I don't even think that would be found in they're natural habitat but if you're using it, feed with tongs or out of the tank to prevent impaction. As long as you keep the substrate moist and provide a water dish, humidity isn't too much of a concern IMO, very hardy with that due to the where they come from. Daytime temps should be 80-84F and a few degrees cooler at night. I've read superworms can be used as a main food source without problem, though they are not ideal and I'd consider adding some crickets, locust, nightcrawlers and fish into the diet to make it varied.

Nationality
    [Canada]

DOuble checked, i use plantation soil, by exoterra! My frog wouldn't eat crickets or the fish i got her, locust isn't available to me here in calgary ab canada

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

That stuffs coir, so it's all good then. I understand, some of my frogs aren't that keen on them either but give nightcrawlers a go, they're a favourite with my frogs and they're a very health food item. You tried dubia roaches?

Nationality
    [Canada]

He haven't tried Dubia - roaches are illegal here. You can try to add hornworms too, these big juicy green caterpillars. Don't overdo though. One or two once in a blue moon, they are expensive too. Try mice ( no more then one in a month) , you can try silkworms, but most big frogs don't go eat them - too small and don't move enough.
    main diet should be nightcrawlers- sports wholesale sells awesome huge ones for fishing, or any other fishing store.

Thread Information