Thread: Questions about Cane Toad

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Questions about Cane Toad

Hi, I got a cane toad a few months ago. He seems to be adjusting well, he was really skittish at first but now he peeks out as I put food in his tank at night.

I've been feeding him mostly Earthworms with occasional crickets or superworms. Is this okay? I haven't been able to find much about feeding cane toads except that they will eat pretty much any bug happily. What should I be using as the staple of my toad's diet? Earthworms seem more nutritious than mealworms to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

I also saw somewhere that cane toads do better if they have a partner. Is this true? I feel kind of bad keeping him alone if he'd be happier with a friend. There was another toad at the store with him but they seemed to mostly ignore each other. I debated buying one of them for a month or two before I made the decision. That other toad might still be at the store. I want to buy him if he's there when I go to that store again, but I'd probably have to make a few accommodations like getting a bigger tank and I'm not too eager for that right now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Questions about Cane Toad

So jealous that yours is adjusting well, mine isn't.

That diet is fine. Remember to supplement insects. I use repashy calcium plus, an all complete supplement and can be used every meal, highly recommend.

They're communal toads, if you look pics of them up you'll usually see them in large numbers, so I'd imagine they will do better kept in pairs or groups, so if you could, I'd recommend getting the other toad. I can't find another one for my toad sadly and it's probably the reason it's not doing so well. For two cane toads you'll need at least a 40-gallon glass tank and preferably larger.

Thread Information