Thread: Help!

Default Help!

Hi fellow frog keepers.

Can anyone help me? This has appeared on my Red Eyed Tree Frog, it's been there for about 2 weeks now. Doesn't seem to be affecting him but obviously it shouldn't be there?...

Any advise or help is appreciated

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help!

Looks like a boo-boo. Im not experienced with tree frogs, as I have a pacman frog, but I recommend looking on this website.

http://www.frogdaze.com/The_frog_doctor.html

If that doesn't help, take him to the store that you got him from, and see if you can arrange a visit with a vet that specializes in amphibians/reptiles.
    RicoThePacman

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Um, that looks like a prolapse. What have you been feeding it, what are its tank parameters and such?

5. 2 members thank Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Um, that looks like a prolapse. What have you been feeding it, what are its tank parameters and such?
    Curly Flys, it's in an Exo Terra Small Tall off the top of my head. I will get the exact measurements when I get home. What's the solution for a prolapse?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yep that looks like prolapse. If he has been like this for 2 weeks my recommendation is bring him to a vet. To get the prolapse to go back in you sprinkle abit of sugar on it or give him a warm bath with some sugar diluted into the water, this will make the prolapse go back in. I would also recommend not feeding a whole lot until you get to a vet even if you get it to go back in because there is a good chance he will not be able to poop properly if at all. He may need a stitch also to prevent it from happening again. And after 2 weeks their is a good chance necrosis has started on the tissue, hope I said that right. IMO do the sugar asap and make a vet appt.

8. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Yep that looks like prolapse. If he has been like this for 2 weeks my recommendation is bring him to a vet. To get the prolapse to go back in you sprinkle abit of sugar on it or give him a warm bath with some sugar diluted into the water, this will make the prolapse go back in. I would also recommend not feeding a whole lot until you get to a vet even if you get it to go back in because there is a good chance he will not be able to poop properly if at all. He may need a stitch also to prevent it from happening again. And after 2 weeks their is a good chance necrosis has started on the tissue, hope I said that right. IMO do the sugar asap and make a vet appt.
    I'm doing the sugar as we speak also I have found poo in the tank lastnight and I cleaned it yesterday morning so pooing doesn't seem to be a problem

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

If you're only feeding curly wing flies, lack of proper nutrition is probably the cause. Feeders need to be gut loaded and crickets are best (flies are more difficult) and they need supplementation of calcium and vitamins as well as UVB lighting.

Here's a brief explanation as to why:

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/frogs...g-Prolapse.htm
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

11. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, seconding that you should definitely get that treated if sugar water doesn't do the trick, if it gets infected it can lead to necrosis and death.

13. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I've had experience with a prolapsed frog, and the suggestions to use the sugar/sugar water is right on. As is the veterinary intervention, which after two weeks I would HIGHLY recommend. My White's tree frog had internal parasites (hook worm) which likely was the cause of his prolapsing. It kept occurring, and he was in obvious pain as the treatments became less effective, so we had to make the decision to put him down That was a year ago, and I still miss that little guy.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

15. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Thread Information