Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is the ideal time to feed pacman frogs?

Default When is the ideal time to feed pacman frogs?

So far I don't think my new pacman frog has been eating. He stayed burrowed for a while and resurfaced about a day ago. I believe a cricket may be gone but I'm unsure and may have miscounted. I recently just removed the crickets from his cage and I was wondering when the ideal time to feed him would be, morning or night? He seems to usually be burrowed in the morning but I just tried feeding him a little bit ago(at night) and a cricket literally walked over him and he did nothing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: When is the ideal time to feed pacman frogs?

Night, horned frogs are nocturnal as most amphibians. If you get a red or blue light you can turn that to help to see. What size are the crickets? They won't touch small crickets, aim for the width between the eyes for size to half the size of the frog. Try superworms to get your frog feeding, if it's large enough, my frog prefers them and goes for them straight away.

I've been feeding him pretty large crickets. He still isn't eating and I'm not sure why. He unburrowed himself for a while but now he's gone back to burrowing. I tried feeding him last night and again crickets were just walking over him and he did nothing. I can't figure out why he won't eat

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, did you end up getting more heating for him or are you still around 75f for heat? and have you found poop since he has went off food? If he is impacted and cant poop it may make him not want to eat.

My room is decently cold and with the heat lamp I have I usually get around 74-80 degrees. And he went to the bathroom the day I got him.

This brings about another question. Since my room is so cold, is it bad when I have to take the heat lamp off and the temperature drops down to around 70?

I'm also not sure how to get more heat for him. I got a different type of lightbulb that is supposed to give off more heat, but oddly enough it doesn't seem as bright as my old lightbulb and the temperature still hovers around 75-79 most of the time. But my thermometer is a little weird. Sometimes it jumps from 74 to 83 so I'm not sure what the temperature is most of the time.

EDIT: I just checked his cage and the temperature is reading 81... which is weird because usually it hovers around 77. Not sure why its hotter now. Oh also, how do I keep the humidity at around 70-80? I spray some water in the terrarium in the morning/afternoon and it goes from 50-60 to over 80 then slowly drops back down to 60ish

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

You're probably better getting another thermometer, digital ones are best. For the humidity, you'll eventually get the idea of how much to mist to get to what percent but if it only goes over 80% for a short period of time that would be okay and 60% is good

Nationality
    [Canada]

And IMO if you can keep his day temps at 81f that should be fine.

So after giving him a hot bath and holding a cricket in front of his face for about a minute, he finally ate something. But now he's COMPLETELY buried himself in his substrate, which is unusual because he usually leaves a tiny bit of himself sticking out. Is this normal? He's dug pretty far down in the substrate right now and he's never burrowed this far before

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes its normal for them to completely bury themselves. The handling for the bath probably really freaked him out and he buried himself to feel secure. When my lights go on 9 am I would say 20 minutes later all three of mine are gone completely under. My tanks during the day look like they house a couple fake plants. L.O.L

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Depending on the temp, mine is usually half burrowed but on a cold day he'll burrow right down

That might make sense. My thermometer is reading 76 right now which is a few degrees lower than usual. Not sure why the temperature isn't going up. I was just wondering if he could even breathe buried completely under the eco earth. Should I spray some water on him? I haven't misted/sprayed the cage today but the humidity is at around 70

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Na he can breathe under the substrate. I would never spray the water directly on a frog but if the humidity is at 70 then you don't need to mist, it's not a daily task really as they're not tropical frogs

Any idea why my temperature is reading lower than usual? What should I do? Its usually around 77-81 and I can't get it above 75 right now which is very strange.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Really seems like your thermometers poop, I would get another and then check again. If it's still not right then up the wattage of bulb, I used 40W in the summer and 60W in winter

I upped the thermostat in my house by 1 and now the temperature is reading almost 81... somehow going from 69 to 70 in my house made a 6-7 degree difference in the terrarium

Update: I can't get him to eat again. I gave him another warm bath for a couple minutes but this time he didn't eat afterwards, he just went and burrowed again. I'm not sure what to do this time because he seems content on not eating.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Is there any chance you could show us a pic of your set up? You'll have to upload it to a website then copy and paste the link to this. It may still be trying to aestivate because the tank went too cool but it mind come out of it in a few days.

There's not much to take a picture of. He's in a 10 gallon aquarium with about 2-3 inches of eco earth, a fake plant, and a small water bowl. And I don't think he's aestivating. He moves when I touch him. He just seems totally uninterested in eating.

And the temperature is around 75-81. Of course I have to take the heat lamp off when I try to tong feed him and it drops down to around low 70s, but I don't think that would cause him not to eat.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Everything's spot on, it's worse when that's the case, harder to fix the problem if there isn't one but the frog. What I'd recommend would be to keep a steady temp between 78-80F during the day, obviously if you take the heat lamp off to feed that will be okay but at night let the temperature drop down to 74F. Try not to disturb the frog during the day and just feed at night when it's active. So the light you have is a daytime lamp, isn't it? Keep it on for 12 hours per day and near the daylight hours of your area. At night use something that won't disturb the frog too much, I personally only use night lights for like an hour then switch to complete darkness, I'm not convinced the animals can't see them and so I use a ceramic heat emitter or heat mat at night instead. If your frogs large enough try something like superworms, locust or roaches. My frog used to turn it's head up at crickets and still does sometimes. Try also feeding the frog less, if it's over 2 inches then you could go to every other day or so.

The problem is he isn't active whatsoever. if I didn't dig him up today he would have been totally buried for about 2-3 days now.

I know it sounds horrible but I've been so worried about messing up I've been considering taking him back to the pet store. I don't want anything bad to happen to him but he's not eating and he isn't even moving half the time. I love the little guy but he's been worrying me so much.

EDIT: and I keep the incandescent light on at all times because my room is absolutely freezing. I was told to keep it on at all times if my room is cold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information