Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is the ideal time to feed pacman frogs?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: When is the ideal time to feed pacman frogs?

I wouldn't do that, at least in your hands you can give him the attention and sort the problem but they won't. Is it a daylight bulb??? if so, they do not get kept on at all times and the result would be exactly what the problem here is

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Its an incandescent 50 watt lightbulb.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

like the ones you have in your house? they should only be kept on for 12 hours a day and when kept on 24 hours a day you can basically drive the animal insane, animals need a day and night cycle. the red glass ones can be left on 24 hours a day but i've noticed my animals can see them. you need ideally a daylight bulb and then switch to a ceramic heat emitter for night or you can just use a thermostat controlled heat mat for 24 hour heat source

Incandescent lightbulbs are the purple ones that don't give off a lot of light like fluorescent light bulbs. At the store the guy who sold them told me they can be left on at all times. And I can't only keep it on for 12 hours a day as the room the terrarium is in is quite cold.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

there's a few different kind of incandescents, especially on the reptile market but by purple do you mean this? http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products..._heat_lamp.php
    the normal ones that give of that orangey light like this http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products..._heat_lamp.php

The second one isn't to be used 24 hours a day but the purple one in the link 'apparently' can but I've noticed my frogs freeze when it's on and become more active when it's off and I've read a lot of people having that problem too, so if you change that to a ceramic heat emitter for night and you might notice a difference. I use night lights for a while to view but I don't trust them on all night for heat sources

This is the type I have. http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Incandes.../dp/B001VGX6MG

And I just tried feeding him earlier and he clearly wants none of it. My hygrometer is also reading about 50-60 and I sprayed it with water this afternoon. I noticed some of the eco earth in the cage is looking crumbly and dried out also.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

That's a night bulb so yeah can be left on 24 hours I thought you meant normal daylight one so was worried. I still don't trust them though, I've used those before on my pacman, tree frogs and marine toad and all of them weren't liking it it but as few mins later after turning it off you can hear the tree frogs jumping about happily. If he continues to refuse food I would really consider looking into a ceramic or heat mat but you'll need a thermostat to use both of those. It took a lot of fiddling and money to get my frog happy but the stuff I don't use now I just use with other frogs but out of all the heating stuff I use I prefer heat mats as frogs in general don't bask so heat lamps aren't the best, though some tree frogs like them. 50-60 is fine really, as long as it's moist, they're not tropical like darts. I've found pacmans can be really fussy at times but they're so hardy and won't perish right away like most phibs would

So what do you think I should do? Just wait until he wants to eat?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I'd wait, see if he gets better and if not get a heat mat and thermostat. It works for me, a heat mat covering one third of the floor connected to a thermostat so the frog doesn't burn itself. The frog seems to know where he can the heat and burrows or moves away from the heat mat as needed. It doesn't have the drying effect as light bulbs or ceramics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information