Thread: *RESPONSES NEEDED* What to do during power outage with no enclosure heat?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Exclamation *RESPONSES NEEDED* What to do during power outage with no enclosure heat?

Most of southern canada, where I live, is in a freezing rain/winter storm warning.

Last time we had a ice storm, power was knocked out for us for almost a full day. For others it lasted 48 hours to 3 days.

At this time, I did not have my frog.

I need quick responses to this topic.

Thank you.
    RicoThePacman

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: *RESPONSES NEEDED* What to do during power outage with no enclosure heat?

What temperature would it go to if there were no heating?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: *RESPONSES NEEDED* What to do during power outage with no enclosure heat?

not sure, nothing has happened yet, and ive never had an outage with him.
    RicoThePacman

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sure it will be fine, just don't feed the frog and if there is a warning a day or two before it happens, the better. It's more the digestion thing that's the problem, that the food would not be processed the same and may rot but if the stomach is empty then it should be okay. Make sure there's a deep substrate for the frog to completely burrow under.

6. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I remember that ice storm, we were without power for 3 days with temperatures reaching well into the negative teens Celsius.

I didn't have my frog then either, I jut got him this fall. That ice storm was on my mind the whole time. If it happens again, I have several heat packets like the kind people use to ship reptiles with on hand, as well as the kind people use for skiing, which are a bit shorter lasting. That's mainly for shorter outages.

I also have a powerful UPS I brought home from work for the winter that is fully charged and ready to connect in a longer emergency. I don't run it full time because the one I have is quite loud. A PC friendly UPS would probably be quieter. How well this will work with the ambient temperature of the room getting so low I don't know, but it's the best plan I could come up with.

Whatever you do, don't use a combustible heat source such as a barbecue.

8. This member thanks MaxGen for this post:

Nationality
    [Netherlands]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaxGen View Post
    I also have a powerful UPS I brought home from work for the winter that is fully charged and ready to connect in a longer emergency. I don't run it full time because the one I have is quite loud. A PC friendly UPS would probably be quieter. How well this will work with the ambient temperature of the room getting so low I don't know, but it's the best plan I could come up with.
    I was thinking an UPS would be the solution too, but in my calculations I run short. UPS's are meant to give a pc user the time to save data and shut down during a blackout and as far as I know, the expensive ones got about 180 Wh of power. If your heat lamp is 50 W, that's 3,6 hours of heating. If you've got a substrate heater of 8 W, it's 22,5 hours. If the room temperature comes close to zero, I don't think it'll be enough to heat your tank for 12 hrs/day. You'd probably have to heat non-stop.

Perhaps you could use an UPS and substrate heater if the blackout takes a day.
    3.1.0 Litoria caerulea - White's tree frog - Koraalteenboomkikker
    0.1.0 Felis catus - Domestic cat - huiskat

10. This member thanks MichielB for this post:

Nationality
    [Netherlands]
    Blog Entries

In this thread Americans and Canadians recommend blankets, hot water (if gas is still available) and heat packs.

I'm glad the Netherlands have a temperate sea climate and blackouts are very rare (I've never experienced a blackout that took more than a few hours).
    3.1.0 Litoria caerulea - White's tree frog - Koraalteenboomkikker
    0.1.0 Felis catus - Domestic cat - huiskat

12. This member thanks MichielB for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Perhaps Hot Hands Hand Warmers, or battery operated heated socks.

Thread Information