Thread: Help frog not eating

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help frog not eating

Hello i have hade my pacman frog for two months she has been super healthy growing fast and eating every day until three days ago i woke and went to turn on my frogs day bulb and noticed it was burnt out it was two days before i could get to a pet store before closing time due to my job but today i replaced the bulb and temp and humidity has been restored to its normal at 85 degrees F and 85-90 humidity she did not eat the two days with just the night light on and all day today her conditions were back to normal and she has still not eaten does anybody know how long it will be before she starts eating again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help frog not eating

Hey! Are you providing your frog a day and night cycle after your day bulb blew? Without this, a lot of animals will refuse to feed. Unless you're keeping the frog in a bright room that is lit for a steady 12 hours per day, I would suggest you use a daylight compact. They can go without food for a while, they've adapted to slow their metabolism down so they can aestivate. By the way, your humidity is far too high. Keep it around 60% between misting and 80% after.

Nationality
    [United States]

My frog is in a well lit room so during the day she is getting light but no heat she ate one worm last night after i restored her normal light and humidity and at night the humidoty does drop close to 60 just when i mist it bumps up to 85-90 and will slowly drop as the day goes on but will not drop past 75 unless i turn the day lamp off i just hope she starts eating normal soon i dont want to stunt her growtg felt bad that i didnt have a back up bulb i do now thanks for the reply

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Try to mist more lightly or for a shorter duration, as 85-90 is too high. Horned frogs (except from the Amazonian horned frog) are not tropical but more sub-tropical. Some authors have even suggested that Chacoan or Ornates can handle humidity between 35-60% but to be safe I keep mine near 60% for the most part.

So have you got another heat lamp yet? You're right, as you've had it for 2 months I take it's a baby and at this stage it's essential for it to be fed every 1-2 days but I can't imagine a week or so of less than ideal conditions should do any harm.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes she is young a little smaller than a hacky sack she was very active in terms of eating and digesting food every 4 days and moving to a new spot bever hesitant to eat and would eat until she was no longer hungry she would even hunt her prey which i didnt know they did that i will keep her humidity around 75 from now on she seems to like it oh and also today she ate 4 large superworm in their morpg stage so that they were soft i didnt want her body to have to work to hard to digest a regular thanks for the help

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Make it so the highest the humidity goes for a length of time is 80%, leave it to dry out a bit so it averages 60%. You really don't need it that high all the time.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Heat is what helps your frog digest its food, so if your light blew and your temps were low for a couple days his/her digestive system would have slowed down. Your frog may just need a day or 2 to get its metabolism going again to digest whats in his gut and get that appetite going again.

9. This member thanks monster for this post:

Thread Information