Thread: Help Diagnosing problem

Default Help Diagnosing problem

My frog has had a wound I believer for about 2-3 months. The frog still was acting normal was still always snatching the food right from you and relaxing at the top of the tank swimming around fine etc. Then I noticed red stringy stuff started to come out of the wound. It eventually started getting worst so I just removed her today and put her in a 3g tank(All I have currently) I added Reptisafe as well as API PIMAFIX(treats fungal and infections. I added enough for 3gs worth of water.

I noticed she occasionally gets the arm/ legs twitch that lasts for a little while then goes away. She is still eating, but seems to be not herself. Anything I can do to help get rid of this. I do not want it to get worst and die.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help Diagnosing problem

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?
    25g just over 3/4 full currently having wounded frog in a 3g. All I have right now.
    2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?
    Just 2 frogs live in the 25g
    3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

Tap Water with Reptisafe
    4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

70 Fahrenheit electric heater
    5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

Not Sure
    6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]
    50g filter water fall type. With filter/carbon filter
    7. Substrate type?
    None
    8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?
    Empty right now
    9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?
    Omega one Frog and tadpole pellets as well as night crawlers
    10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

none
    11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

It varies no lighting set up
    12. When is the last time frog ate?
    Today a night crawler
    13. Have you found poop lately?
    Nope
    14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    Twitching in the arm / leg sometimes. Looks top be a open wound with long red stringy stuff that keeps extruded from it. Comes of when the frog moves quickly.
    16. How old is the frog?

3-4 years
    17. How long have you owned him/her?
    Since very small
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?
    captive
    19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?
    API PIMAFEX treats fungal infections for fish. Dose accordinly to 3gs of water as well as reptisafe to remove chlorines and ammonia from water.
    20. Any salt in water (how much)?

none
    21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?
    low
    22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).
    Tank changes were once a week. Then it ended up being 2 times a week because I was really busy and put it off. Which is most likely the cause of this infection I believe. Now I have to smarten up, cause I don't want her to die after owning her for this long, and leave her partner alone.

Sorry not of much help. Might be tissue or worms not sure. Never seen this.

Nationality
    [United States]

I haven't seen this either. My first thought was fungal, then I thought maybe worms.

Try adding 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon of water. The salt may help, and won't hurt her.

So this is day 3 of her being in the 3g tank with a daily dose of the PIMAFEX. Daily water changes of about 70% with Reptisafe. I noticed today a tiny small amount coming out but nothing compared to the previous days. It was running all the way down her about 1" long somtimes it would be coming out.

A couple questions I have is

Should I stop the fungal treatment and try the salt? Or should I just Mix the two?

Will the 3g tank suffice until I can put her back in the 25g tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

You can use both the salt and the Primafix.

The 3 gallon tanks can suffice, but a 10 would be better. Remember that you will need to do daily water changes to remove ammonia.

Nationality
    [United States]

How is your girl doing today?

Quote Originally Posted by celticstarb View Post
    How is your girl doing today?
    She has been doing good. I have not seen anything else come out of the wound in the last few days. I took her out of the 3g and put her back into the main tank. Shes seems to be way more active now that she has room to move around. She is swimming around and when you put your face over the tank shes swims right up to the surface and just stares at you lol.

Funny thing happened too. A day after I took her out, and put her in the hospital tank. My other frog which is a girl too layed a bunch of infertile eggs. So I just sucked them all up out of the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm glad to hear she's doing better. Keep an eye on the wound, but it seems something you did is helping. The aquarium salt is a good preventative measure and won't harm the frogs. In fact, clawed frogs can take brackish water conditions, but I wouldn't recommend it. I use salt in both my clawed frog and dwarf frog setups.

It is not uncommon for well fed frogs, as yours obviously are, to spontaneously lay infertile eggs. I generally leave the eggs in the tank for about an hour to let the frog eat whatever she wants, then dispose of the rest with a partial water change. The reason I let them eat some of the eggs is to allow them to regain some of the energy lost during egg production and laying. But any more than an hour and the eggs will start to decay. It's not necessary, but eggs are a good source of protein. If I'm not sure when the eggs were laid, then I dispose of them immediately.

Yeah, my frogs are pretty well fed. I feed them every other day with pellets/night crawlers. Would it be possible to have a third frog in a 25g long tank. I was thinking about ordering one online, but I would like to get a non-albino frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Another frog will be fine in a 25 gallon tank. Be sure to quarantine her/him for at least 4 weeks before introducing him/her to the display tank. Make sure the new frog is a similar size to your current frogs.

I highly recommend Xenopus Express for their quality and prices. They don't have an online order form, so you have to call, but he normally returns calls within 24 hours, maybe a little longer now due to the holidays. They carry several different species, and he is always happy to discuss them with customers. I currently have 3 species from Xenopus Express - laevis, borealis, and muelleri. Next week I am planning on setting the muelleri up to breed for the first time.

How is your girl doing now? Has the wound closed?

The wound has not closed yet, but I noticed a very small amount come out today and last week when I did a water change. The tiniest little bit of red came out. Seems when I do a water change and and she gets scared sometimes, and moves away fast it opens it a little bit maybe. I have been making sure to keep my water quality a good as possible. She still eats fine, and is acting normal. So I am just keeping an eye on her.

In regards to getting another frog it will not be until. I have the money to get myself a 10g tank for a proper quarantine tank. I want to eventually do a natural looking tank, with silk plants and hiding places. Right now my 25g is bare bottom with nothing in it but the filter, and heater.

Nationality
    [United States]

Plastic storage boxes also make good QTs. I don't use any kind of filtration in my QTs, just daily water changes.

From personal experience I can tell you that silk plants will quickly become frayed from the frogs knocking them around. Have you thought about live anubias attached to driftwood? The can survive with minimum light and will help a bit with water parameters.

Lol, i was thinking the same about the anubias. Does the wound get any smaller?

Nationality
    [United States]

How is she doing? Has the wound got any smaller?

The wound has gotten slightly smaller. I will look into anubias. I would have to get some driftwood though. I am just keeping an eye on her.

Nationality
    [United States]

You won't be disappointed. Anubias looks great in frog tanks.

Thread Information