Thread: Crazy Tadpole Project!

Talking Crazy Tadpole Project!

Hi All,

We only have experience with wild caught tadpoles, frogs, and toads but made the decision recently to get some pacman tadpoles. My setup may be a bit "unprofessional", but it seems to be working and my tadpoles seem happy and are developing legs. just wanted to post our experience with pacman tadpoles, because I couldn't find a whole lot about keeping them? Especially choosing to use individual jars vs. an aquarium. We just have a few and didn't want to suffer any losses due to cannibalism!

Can't post photos for some reason, but they are in separate jars with artificial plants and a heat source below. I siphon the leftover food and feces twice daily and replace with treated water. Feeding bloodworms. I started off just dropping them in, but a few would come to the surface to recieve the worms. Now most enjoy eating their worms from tweezers! Is this good or bad? Maintaining a water temp of 80°F during the day and about 74° F in the evening. Almost all have back legs and I believe the few larger ones are developing front leg nubs? Some are definitely more aggressive about eating than others and one even seems a bit shy. Oh, and jars are about half full, or just over. This may or may not be the way to do things but it seems to be working, maybe someone has suggestions.
    I will keep trying to post photos so you can see for yourselves! Hope this helps anyone else out there who comes across some tadpoles!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Crazy Tadpole Project!

This sounds like a fun experience! Keep us updated.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I cannot access the Youtube video through.

Nationality
    [United States]

I see all the time where they sell pacman frog tadpoles in bulk. I am really jealous!

Hopefully this summer I'll be moving into a bigger place, which means more froggies! I want tadpoles to be my next project. Please let us know how this works out for you!

Still cant post photos?

Not sure why you cant get the video? So for so good. They are growing and are very fun to feed. I clean their water and feed twice a day. Since they are in jars I couldnt find an aquarium hose to clean with that would fit well in each jar without sucking them up, so oddly enough I found that a new plastic turkey baster works very well! T just washed really well before using it and rinse with treated water. he hole is small but still gets the poops and left over food. I have been feeding only bloodworms. I tried pac attack sticks but they made the water really gross. Still doing research and came across a bit about adding a mineral powder to tje water for bone support? Anyone with experience with this? I knew that crickets should be dusted, but in the tadpoles water? Will definately do if it helps promote good health!

Ok, so I found more info on feeding tadpoles bloodworms that have been gut loaded with vitamins to aid in bone growth so they develope properly and dont have problems as froglets. I couldnt find any in my area petstores that have this in the label so I did make the decision to add a multivitamin powdered suppliment to the treated water that I use to make water changes. I read that a pinch in 10 gal. Of water is all that is needed. I use smaller buckets so adjusted accordingly. Also I have noticed something that I have not seen any one else reference. I have been anxious about their color, as they are all brown as tadpoles and I should have a mix of a few colors. They are developing front arm buds and the color is just now coming in. There are two larger ones that are turning a greenish color, one seems to be brighter than the other. I didn't know at what stage they would begin to develope color, but now we know. They also have a body length of about an inch.

Everyone seems to have a general idea of tadpole morphology, but unless you actually see it happen you may not know some strange things about it. I made a discovery about my developing tadpoles today! Maybe some of you know this already, but this will may surprise others! Such a weird, cool, disgusting they do when growing front limbs that I had know idea they did! They start off as a body and tail basically. From what I could see of the back legs, is they seem to start as tiny buds that grow and grow into big legs. I have been waiting for what seems to be an eternity for the front legs to develope. I thought they were coming in as large bumps just behind and under the jaw. This morning to my surprise a tadpole had just one front leg and it was completey developed! I started to investigate, because I was thinking "Where the heck did that come from?", and found a hole in its other side with a little finger sticking out! I then started looking at the others who have two holes in their sides! From my observations it seems that the front legs develope under a layer of skin. They stretch it out as they grow making it translucent as it thins, then Pow! It breaks open and out comes two fully formed legs! Like holding your arms inside a T-shirt, making it appear that you are armless, then you push them out through the sleeves! Eeeew gross! Yet, Cool!

I have lowered the water level of the tadpoles who now have front legs and they have artifcial aquarium plants to hall up out of the water on. Will continue with bloodworms.

I had two more pop their arms. I now have them all in seperate deli cups with moist paper towels. Not interested in food at the moment, I think they are ready to absorb their tails!

13. This member thanks Radical Ribbits for this post:

I raised some gray tree frog tadpoles over the summer, and I observed the same thing. If you look closely, you will the see that the arms develop as bumps underneath the skin. They spontaneously pop out once they are fully formed .

This thread is making me want to give raising tadpoles a try. That's so fascinating!

I cant believe how fast these guys develope. Ober night their mouths change into frog mouths and it has been a few days and their tails are practically gone! Very cool!

Thread Information