Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is my Stitch!

Default Here is my Stitch!

Hi guys, i would like post some photos but i had some problems

i have photos of 180kb, JPEG files, but i can't attach them (i did photos with iphone 6)

Waiting for someone to help me for the photos, I do a question: my frog has eaten a mouse one month ago (06/11/2015), but has not defecated yet. I have to feed her or is it better waiting for the poop? (Stitch is an adult male of 4 years)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Here is my Stitch!

Sorry cant help with the pics but as far as your question goes...

Keep feeding. Its good to have variety and don't over feed them rodents. Once a month seems good for rodents.

I soak mine in a separate tub with warm water and it helps them poop.

And is there any frog move or behaviour TO understand if he's hungry?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You will have to use a photo uploading site like photobucket to post photos. Our forum was hacked last spring and the photo uploader hasn't worked since then.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    You will have to use a photo uploading site like photobucket to post photos. Our forum was hacked last spring and the photo uploader hasn't worked since then.
    Ty! So let's try

ps: if someone can answer to the question i did before i would be happy

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Don't think there will be much behaviour to tell you if he's hungry but if he looks like he's hunting for food then give him some. What I do is feed my frogs as recommended at their size or age and check their weight, add or take off a meal day each week if needed to get them to the right size

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

As for the pooping, provide a basking spot of around 85F will help him digest his food

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    As for the pooping, provide a basking spot of around 85F will help him digest his food
    mmm...look the picture of my tank, should i put a heater in the water to bring the temperature at 83-85F?

in the dry part, on the brick, i think the temperature is 85-87F

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I would keep it on the cooler side and not heat it aslong as its not too cold (below 75f )and there is a higher tempature on the surfice but 85-87 is perfect. Is he going in the water often?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Have you owned him for the full 4 years? the reason I ask is because I bet he would really appreciate it if you swapped out some of that brick for something he can burrow into. Like a coco fibre or something similar. Just a little suggestion, and nice frog by the way.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

In a book I have I seen them cut holes in foam pads which the frogs would go into, a lot like they're natural habitat and very cool. Coir is great too but with the water section it would just be dragged in and make a mess of it.What he's using is certainly not the worst thing but a plant or hide would be best placed above for some cover. I seen an african bull frog kept on a shallow layer of bark at a reptile rescue centre, can you believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Have you owned him for the full 4 years? the reason I ask is because I bet he would really appreciate it if you swapped out some of that brick for something he can burrow into. Like a coco fibre or something similar. Just a little suggestion, and nice frog by the way.
    Yes, i bought this frog when he was young
    I noticed a thing: with this set up of terrarium, the frog is more active; when i got cocofiber the frog was always in the pit and didnt use water...

In a book I have I seen them cut holes in foam pads which the frogs would go into, a lot like they're natural habitat and very cool. Coir is great too but with the water section it would just be dragged in and make a mess of it.What he's using is certainly not the worst thing but a plant or hide would be best placed above for some cover. I seen an african bull frog kept on a shallow layer of bark at a reptile rescue centre, can you believe that?
    mmm, sorry but my english is not too good and i didnt understand the point ...your advice is to add something in the terrarium where the frog can hide himself?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Yeah just cos there's no burrowing medium. It doesn't have to be a hide but just some cover like fake plants

15. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

I would keep it on the cooler side and not heat it aslong as its not too cold (below 75f )and there is a higher tempature on the surfice but 85-87 is perfect. Is he going in the water often?
    oh i didnt read this question, i answer now my frog goes in the water 2-3 times a day

when i had cocofiber (instead of bricks) the frog never went in the water, i can easily say that in a year Stitch touched water once (or probably 0).

Yeah just cos there's no burrowing medium. It doesn't have to be a hide but just some cover like fake plants
    Ok! ill found something to let him cover a bit

17. This member thanks arci90 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

He probably never went to the water much when you had the cocofibre because he was absorbing enough water from it that he didn't feel the need to hydrate himself. They absorb the water through there skin so if the substrate is damp and the air is kept at a stable and correct humidity it would make him not feel the need to waste the energy going to the water. Some people don't even use water bowls in there bullfrog enclosures and just give them a soak once or twice a month. Im not telling you to change your setup so please don't think that, I just thought maybe you didn't know why he wasn't going to the water when you had the substrate instead of the brick and just thought I would post this just in case. And again nice looking frog, hes a monster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    He probably never went to the water much when you had the cocofibre because he was absorbing enough water from it that he didn't feel the need to hydrate himself. They absorb the water through there skin so if the substrate is damp and the air is kept at a stable and correct humidity it would make him not feel the need to waste the energy going to the water. Some people don't even use water bowls in there bullfrog enclosures and just give them a soak once or twice a month. Im not telling you to change your setup so please don't think that, I just thought maybe you didn't know why he wasn't going to the water when you had the substrate instead of the brick and just thought I would post this just in case. And again nice looking frog, hes a monster!!!
    Oh! i thought the same, so i wasn't too much worry By the way thank you guy!

The fact that it is now obliged to move more, I think it can be more healthy, are you agree?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Least if he moves more he wont be a slob! In captivity they are, were as in the wild they would be somewhat active as they stalk prey, fight other males and dig streams for their tadpoles

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya I agree that its probably better that he moves around then just sit in one place all the time. They might not move around all day long in the wild but for a bigger frog they can be active as Jason said and they do swim and stuff. They may not be the most gracefull and fastest swimmers but they can swim if need be. L.O.L

22. This member thanks monster for this post:

Other pictures of da monsta

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Such a beautiful beast of an animal. I'm so jealous. They're rarely offered in sale where I come from, probably because of the facilities needed in order to breed and the amount of offspring they produce, it would be easier in warmer climates and countries with a high demand of amphibians. I must get one some day, even if I pay a few hundred for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information