Thread: Urgent help whites tree frog bleeding

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Urgent help whites tree frog bleeding

The last week or so one of my Whites tree frogs has been very lethargic and not eaten. He kept arching his back and opening his mouth the way he would do when he's moulting, so i decided to put him in a quarantine tank while i was setting up a bath for him to soak in.

But just now he started bleeding rapidly from his anus, there is a large pool of blood on the kitchen roll and a small amount trailing behind him.

I cant find anything about a frog bleeding from it's anus and i have no idea what to do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Urgent help whites tree frog bleeding

UPDATE: The bleeding has stopped and he managed to finally shed the skin that was on his leg. In fact, he seems perfectly healthy now. No trouble climbing, wont stop moving, no signs of pain and looks as healthy as the day i got him 4 years ago.

Is it safe to return him to the vivarium with the other frogs do you think? I don't have any plastic plants or ornaments only live plants so all he is in now is a critter keeper with a water dish so i don't really want to keep him in there for too long.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Allo allo. Sorry to hear about your froggie. Sounds like a nasty impaction, or a parasite in the guts. I would start with a fecal exam and a checkup. Keeping it in qt is a good idea till you have further information.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Allo allo. Sorry to hear about your froggie. Sounds like a nasty impaction, or a parasite in the guts. I would start with a fecal exam and a checkup. Keeping it in qt is a good idea till you have further information.
    I guess it's a parasite then, they've always been tong fed. I'll try and get him to the vets as fast as possible.

In the quarantine tank is only a water dish with kitchen roll ok? Or do i need to add some fake plants etc. I also assume i shouldn't try feeding him right now too?

Thanks for replying.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya you could put a plant or something in there for him to help it feel abit more secure. You don't want to have a bunch of stuff in the tank but you also want him to be relaxed.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hope the vet trip goes well, and yes, feeding him now is probably not a good idea.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Small update. Basically the two vers i have been to are useless and basically just picked him up and said he was fine but he's obviously not. He has become very lethargic and has not moved at all for the last 3 days and still wont eat. Gunna travel a long way sometime this week to a well renowned exotic pet vet to see what he can do. Any suggestions on how to treat him in the meantime are very appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

9. 2 members thank Zerg for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Awwwwww man.... thats terrible. Try raising the tank temp a little till then and do a warm honey soak...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How is your frog doing now? Is it definitely a male? I have a female who has had unexpected bouts of bloody matter from her vent. With her I think it is due to a sensitive digestive tract due to a coccidiosis infection she had when she was younger, possibly she has some internal damage so cannot tolerate large meals, or excessively big or harsh insects. She gets medium sized crickets and occasional waxworms. She cannot eat large crickets (without the legs removed) or dubia, as she has had the bloody exudate after eating these.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    How is your frog doing now? Is it definitely a male? I have a female who has had unexpected bouts of bloody matter from her vent. With her I think it is due to a sensitive digestive tract due to a coccidiosis infection she had when she was younger, possibly she has some internal damage so cannot tolerate large meals, or excessively big or harsh insects. She gets medium sized crickets and occasional waxworms. She cannot eat large crickets (without the legs removed) or dubia, as she has had the bloody exudate after eating these.
    This is exactly what i think has happened to mine. About a week ago she ate three crickets, delighted i tried feeding her a locust which she refused. Two days ago i tried feeding her some of the smallest locusts i have and took them instantly, and also ate some crickets. Locusts has always been the main feeder item i use and still is for the other one. Overall she seems fine to me. She's active, a healthy weight and always jumps around. Im almost certain they're both female due to their size and the fact that i've never heard them call. Also i fed her some dubias the day before she was bleeding, perhaps this could be the cause.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Thread Information