Thread: M or F

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default M or F

You guys probably see this question lots, but I wanted some more advance frog owners opinions to judge by photos.

M or F? I've done my own research and am leaning towards F based on the mouth, but it does make noise at night which I read only males make...

http://imgur.com/a/mZ7sc

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: M or F

Looks like a female imo but advanced keepers will give you a more definite answer. What size is it and how old?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Its slightly bigger than my palm, so 4" roughly ?

I've had it for 1.5 years and it was very small when I got it

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I'd go for a female, by that size at that age however more factors can determine the size. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you an exact answer but from my research into this species (as I plan on keeping them at some point) I'd say you're right in thinking its a female

Nationality
    [Canada]

Check the thumbs for nuptialpads, they will look like little moles almost on the thumb and they will be in the same spot on both hands. At 1.5 years if its a he it should have them by now. This would be one of the best ways for you to determine what sex it is.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Check the thumbs for nuptialpads, they will look like little moles almost on the thumb and they will be in the same spot on both hands. At 1.5 years if its a he it should have them by now. This would be one of the best ways for you to determine what sex it is.
    won't this only show in breeding conditions? I've heard the throats of males are yellow but females cream

Nationality
    [Canada]

From my understanding and from what I have read once they have them they are there to stay. They could possibly get darker while in breeding season but im not sure on that one. I have also heard the throat thing you had mentioned and that sometimes you can be fooled, but I don't think the odds of being wrong that way are very high either.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    From my understanding and from what I have read once they have them they are there to stay. They could possibly get darker while in breeding season but im not sure on that one. I have also heard the throat thing you had mentioned and that sometimes you can be fooled, but I don't think the odds of being wrong that way are very high either.
    I've read that they are only present during breeding season, how some species of frogs can only be sexed then. However throats, size of age and body proportions can be used to sex African bull frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was just reading a older thread on here of someone asking the same question and a moderator had answered that they will get them when they reach sexual maturity and some will get them when breeding season comes. So I guess we are both kinda right, and this is a picture of his male that was in the thread showing were on the finger the pad would be. I thought if the person that started the thread wanted to check for them and wasn't sure were to look this is a pretty good picture. But by the sounds of things if they can get them at different times then this may not be a 100% sure way of looking.

11. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Awesome input thanks! I may be picking up a full grown male tomorrow!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blinktwice View Post
    Awesome input thanks! I may be picking up a full grown male tomorrow!
    Luuuckaay

Nationality
    [Canada]

I see your In Calgary, are you getting it from a store or a person that owns him already? I have been looking for one and the guy here always ends up getting Dwarfs, I have been looking for awhile. And if you don't mind me asking if you are getting this guy from someone other then the store, is there somewhere around you that you can think of that gets them that I could order from if they ship. I wouldn't do it now due to cold weather and with Christmas right around corner it doesn't really fit into the budget right now but it would be good to know for the future. Thanks ahead of time.

Thread Information