Thread: Dubias on the run!

Musicpanda

Default Dubias on the run!

My Dubias has somehow flown out of their box at night in my batroom where I store them, OMG, i found one at the floor, one in the sink (half drowned) one in my towel and one in my damn pants! How do I catch them? I'm paranoid that there will be more of them.. it's only male adults.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dubias on the run!

I never once had an escaped adult dubia. The only escapes I ever had were very small nymphs crawling up the heat mat cable and squeezing out between the gap in the lid where the cable came out.

If your roaches are flying, I very much doubt they are dubia.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

hyla

I would be flipping out! And probably leaving the house without taking anything with me! Well, maybe the frogs....

Kevin1

I've heard stories of male dubia "jump flying" short distances out of their bin. if you keep a lid on it, It shouldn't happen anymore.

Musicpanda

Okay guys here's the thing about Blaptica Dubias that you probably didn't know and I never ever imagined, after capturing all of them i noticed that the males immediately began to form a tower standing on each other against the wall, it's no joke and it's seriously disturbing to know, I've put a lid on now and made some small air holes on the box. And to John, they do fly or "hover" after they've had their wings for a while and reached adulthood. Case solved.

Greatballzofire

Quote Originally Posted by Musicpanda View Post
    Okay guys here's the thing about Blaptica Dubias that you probably didn't know and I never ever imagined, after capturing all of them i noticed that the males immediately began to form a tower standing on each other against the wall, it's no joke and it's seriously disturbing to know, I've put a lid on now and made some small air holes on the box. And to John, they do fly or "hover" after they've had their wings for a while and reached adulthood. Case solved.

Not just a bunch of mindless bugs after all, eh? Brings to mind the cockroach army that lived under the stove in the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers' apartment.

Mordecai

I just had a similar experience two days ago. My fiance and I were sorting through one of our four roach bins, and as I was transferring a few males to one of the bins, one took off and got quite a distance. My fiance assumed I just threw him on the floor, but I said "no he flew out of my hands". "They can't fly Ella!" was what he said. So maybe they can't "fly", but they can flap those little wings and get somewhere, even if it is just for a few seconds! So I would definitely suggest putting a lid on their enclosure.

Musicpanda

Woke up tonight from the sound from a Dubia under my fridge, had to dismantle some parts of it to reach him... not an activity you want to spend a hour on in the middle of the night... I hope they're all captured now. Total amount of captured male adult Dubias, 15 bathroom, 2 living room. Now for the big question mark should I bath every single Dubia before giving it to my Horned frog? I'm afraid they might have germs and stuff now -___-'

Kevin1

You must be a very light sleeper..

Jace

The thought of roaches on the great escape gives me the shivers!! All I can say, if my Hissers got out, I would be handed divorce papers on the spot!! I hope you caught them all.

Musicpanda

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    You must be a very light sleeper..
    That I'm I'm the most secure burglar alarm in the world! (and I live in a one room apartment so the fridge is like next to my bed as everything else for the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    The thought of roaches on the great escape gives me the shivers!! All I can say, if my Hissers got out, I would be handed divorce papers on the spot!! I hope you caught them all.
    Thankfully Dubias can't take over the world as other roaches try, next time I'll be more on my guard, there will be no wave 2!

Skulldroog

Very interesting. A local petshop is selling about 20 of them for about $1 a piece. I was very tempted to buy it, but then decided not to. Since my girlfriend would freak, she hates anything "spider-related".

Thread Information