Thread: Exo terra SCREEN terrarium for my white tree frogs

Default Exo terra SCREEN terrarium for my white tree frogs

Hi,

I bought a Exo Terra screen terrarium 36” x 18” x 36” for my Chameleons but since it is to big for them (they are babies), I was wondering if I coulf put my two adults white tree frogs in it?

It would be great as they would have a lot more space (they are in a 18" x 18" x 24" glass terrarium for about 4 years).

I put large acetate sheets on three sides of the screen terrarium (the back and the both wall sides) so when I mist water, it doesn't spray everywhere on my wall and the floor and it hold humidity better.

What do you think?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Exo terra SCREEN terrarium for my white tree frogs

I can't see any issues with it, whites only need moderate humidity anyway. Would you be able to fit an Exo terra background in that? If you could then you could spray in that direction and the water won't come out the sides

4. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

My one concern would be will they be able to climb it? Climbing is something obviously that comes natural to them and Im thinking if they cant climb the walls they might not like it very much. Im wondering if there feet will stick to it like the glass or branch from a tree. And im not saying they wont be able to climb it, its more of a question/answer to you. Just something I thought about and asked myself when I seen the thread because I always see pictures of whites or in petstores sticking to the glass of the terrarium. Besides that if you can keep the temps and humidity were its supposed to be I don't own any whites but couldn't see it being a problem, IMO All the extra ventilation would probably be better for them health wise.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    My one concern would be will they be able to climb it? Climbing is something obviously that comes natural to them and Im thinking if they cant climb the walls they might not like it very much. Im wondering if there feet will stick to it like the glass or branch from a tree. And im not saying they wont be able to climb it, its more of a question/answer to you. Just something I thought about and asked myself when I seen the thread because I always see pictures of whites or in petstores sticking to the glass of the terrarium. Besides that if you can keep the temps and humidity were its supposed to be I don't own any whites but couldn't see it being a problem, IMO All the extra ventilation would probably be better for them health wise.
    This came to mind but if a background could be included they'll climb that, my american greens absolutely love their exo terra backgrounds. In the wild there's no glass to stick to, just plants and branches, so as long as the set up is planted well it should be fine

8. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Australia]

Hey! Its a great idea but you do have to be wary of the temperature fluctuation in a screen enclosure depending on your ambient temperatures. If you have a reasonably stable environment that is free of any drafts, it could work!

Thoughts: It may be a little messy as frogs aren't known for their gracefulness when getting in and out of their water bowls, so you may wish to put something in to catch splashes.

Keep an eye out for nose rub, frequently check your temperatures and humidity and otherwise it could work!

10. This member thanks HerpetologyBarbie for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Get an el cheapo pink or blue insulation board from the hardware store. Cut to fit, easy to clean, moisture proof.

12. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hi,

I am pretty sure they won't be able to climb on the screen but I was thinking if I put a lot of branches and a background, maybe they will be okay. Also, My WTF doesn't climb on the glass very much since they are now big and heavy (when they where young, they use to always stick on the glass and sleep on it).
    You are right, I think ventilation woul be good for them health.

Quote Originally Posted by HerpetologyBarbie View Post
    Hey! Its a great idea but you do have to be wary of the temperature fluctuation in a screen enclosure depending on your ambient temperatures. If you have a reasonably stable environment that is free of any drafts, it could work!

Thoughts: It may be a little messy as frogs aren't known for their gracefulness when getting in and out of their water bowls, so you may wish to put something in to catch splashes.

Keep an eye out for nose rub, frequently check your temperatures and humidity and otherwise it could work!
    Yes that is true! they are a little messy, I have to think about that, I don't know if mesh is hard to clean when they are full of wet substrat...

I was also worried about them rubbing and pushing hard their nose on the screen because I know they are strong, maybe strong enought to rip the screen from the frame because these screen terrarium are rather fragile.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Golden View Post
    Yes that is true! they are a little messy, I have to think about that, I don't know if mesh is hard to clean when they are full of wet substrat...

I was also worried about them rubbing and pushing hard their nose on the screen because I know they are strong, maybe strong enought to rip the screen from the frame because these screen terrarium are rather fragile.
    Surely it would be less abrasive than glass or at least the same? You don't really want wet substrate, damp is enough, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Get an el cheapo pink or blue insulation board from the hardware store. Cut to fit, easy to clean, moisture proof.
    Hi,

You mean on every wall of the terrarium or only for the background?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Surely it would be less abrasive than glass or at least the same? You don't really want wet substrate, damp is enough, if that.
    I thought glass would be less abrasive since screen might scratch more.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Golden View Post
    Hi,

You mean on every wall of the terrarium or only for the background?
    Honestly, if you have a background, id make panels for the 2 open sides. Leave the door open. Help the froggies feel secure anyways. If no background then do 3 sides.

If you don't like having gaudy pink or blue insulation showing, people still slather them in silicone and eco earth so its pleasing to the eye. i would not recommend expandy foam. Itll never come off the screen.

19. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Honestly, if you have a background, id make panels for the 2 open sides. Leave the door open. Help the froggies feel secure anyways. If no background then do 3 sides.

If you don't like having gaudy pink or blue insulation showing, people still slather them in silicone and eco earth so its pleasing to the eye. i would not recommend expandy foam. Itll never come off the screen.
    Thanks for the idea!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

So? Whats the dill pickle?

So? Whats the dill pickle?
    Finaly I decided to keep them in their glass terrarium because they seem happy and healthy there, they are there for couple of years and I am a little bit scare to change their habits and routine.
    If I change their terrarium in the future, I might choose another larger Exo terra glass terrarium so it won't be so different. (Than went from glass to screen).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Thread Information