Thread: RETF eye problem

Nationality
    [Armenia]

Default RETF eye problem

Hi!

I've got four RETF yesterday. They are very stressed yet after a long and uncomfortable journey of a couple of days and none have expressed any interest in food so far. Besides, one eye of the largest frog seems to be sick: it is more bulging compared with the healthy eye when open and has yellow markings around the eye when asleep. It must be uncomfortable as the frog was sort of trying to wipe the eyes with its legs when it woke up at night.

Unfortunately there are no vets who have slightest notion of amphibian care in my area, so I am on my own. I would appreciate any advice in this matter.

I have read the first aid FAQ here and I am planning to soak them in honey solution tonight, and probably to add two drops of metronidazole solution on their backs later - unless you would advise me otherwise. I hope this will also help with their appetite. Please help.

I placed the frogs in a vertical terrarium 35x33x60cm (LWH) or about 14"x13"x24", with a heat pad on the bottom and on the rear wall, plus a 30W light bulb for additional heat during the day. There are a few live plants and I spray a few times each day. I am attaching a photo of the frog with the sick eye when asleep (unfortunately I don't have a photo when it awake, it was too dark), and a general photo of the enclosure they are in.

P.S. the images are somehow getting rejected by the forum so I had to upload them to an external server and post links. I hope I am not violating any rules here.

RETF eye problem

Enclosure
    Agalychnis calidryas
    Polypedates otilophus

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Armenia]

Default Re: RETF eye problem

I just did the honey bath.
    Here's another picture, just after bath, with the eyes open:

Eyes open

It is dark colored on the photo, probably due to stress from the bath, by now it already returned its normal green color.

P.S. Sorry for I am still unable to post images here. I resized them to below 900 pixel wide and a size lower than forum requirement, but it still somehow refuses me to post pics here.
    Agalychnis calidryas
    Polypedates otilophus

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The exposed light bulb in the enclosure is no no #1. Its quite possible it burnt its eye. Even after off they stay hot for a good while. Also are the edges of the vent slits smooth or sharp as well?

Nationality
    [Armenia]

Thank you for the reply!
    No way the eye was burnt, it was damaged out of the transportation box. The frogs had spent 4 days in a tiny enclosure and it could have easily rubbed the eye at the container. Besides, the bulb is connected to a regulator, it is still hot but not as hot as a light bulb would normally be, it is running at about 50% power (it is a 60W bulb and I put it down to some 30W checking with a power meter). The bulb was there as a temporary measure to provide some heat while heat pad at the rear wall wasn't ready. I fixed it already and I will remove the bulb as soon as I complete the LED setup to be mounted on the top. A few more hours of work for me. The slits were laser cut, in my opinion they are not too sharp to cause damage but I was planning to glue some netting over it from the inside, to slightly reduce ventilation and to prevent smaller feeder roaches escaping the enclosure. Again, eye damage was there before the frogs entered this terrarium. You are making good points and I will surely fix them but at this moment I am more concerned with proper treatment to help them recover and resume eating. On that matter, I added two drops of metronidazole on their backs yesterday. The eye seemed less swollen to me in the evening. Will repeat the procedure today and see if it is improving.
    Agalychnis calidryas
    Polypedates otilophus

Thread Information