Thread: Found myself with a few tree frog tadpoles...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Found myself with a few tree frog tadpoles...

Been a few years(at least) since posting on here. And recently found myself with some tree frog tadpoles. Hylia Squirella or Squirrel tree frog tadpoles. They are growing well. But never had tadpoles before. So not sure what to do. Already transitioned their environment so they can walk out when ready.. Not sure where to go from there..
    I am new to frogs. I have 2 green tree frogs, and 1 pacman, as well as over 20+ tarantulas!!!

Above is Activo and Sleepy

www.jessicasarachnids.us

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Australia]

Default Re: Found myself with a few tree frog tadpoles...

Hi there! I have never dealt with that particular species myself (being Australian) however I assume they would share some similarities with Litoria sp. tadpoles!

A few tips and tricks related to raising tadpoles:

• Start sourcing your pinhead crickets now. I don't know about the US but here in rural Australia they are VERY difficult to come about. It doesn't hurt to be prepared and ask your local breeders or petstores if they will be able to get you a regular supply of pinhead/baby crickets to feed your froglets.

• Only perform water changes with rain water, no addition of salt or minerals is required for tadpoles as is with fish. Just pure rain water, preferably not water that has been collected off the roof but rather just place buckets out in the yard. The problem with tap water is that fluoride can kill or deform tadpoles and it is not removed by the drops that treat chlorine. You can also use dam/river water if you are sure that is is not tainted by chemicals. I personally use the water from the lake on our property that is full of tadpoles seasonally, obviously the water is spot on as the local frogs thrive.

• No more than two tadpoles to a litre of water is a good general rule, so if you have a few hundred/thousand tadpoles, you may need to cull for the greater good if you don't have a good deal of space/ time to raise them.

• You will need to oxygenate your water, this can be achieved using an airstone on a very low output for tree frog species (they don't tend to like fast moving water). Alternatively, if your tank is nearby a window you can use plants to oxygenate the water, assuming the tank gets enough sunlight or artificial UV light to photosynthesise. I personally use Hornwort that I pulled from our dam but you can use any frilly plant with lots of surface area for oxygen production. Things like anubias and other aquarium plants with just a few thick leaves are less effective.

• Tadpoles that have recently left the water and still have their tails won't be too keen on eating so don't panic (like I used to!). They will absorb their tails over time and will start to develop an appetite shortly afterwards.

• Provide lots of cover for the froglets to retreat under when they first emerge to reduce stress, but also ensure it is something that they will not get tangled up in or lost (like sphagnum for example). You want to be able to easily monitor them. Little ceramic/plastic caves that are designed for small mammals or reptiles often do the trick! Or I cut coke bottles in half longways and cover it with a damp cloth. (So I can lift the cloth and look inside their hide without disturbing them too much.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it on! But good luck and enjoy this egg-citing time! Nothing is better than raising taddies <3

4. This member thanks HerpetologyBarbie for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HerpetologyBarbie View Post
    Hi there! I have never dealt with that particular species myself (being Australian) however I assume they would share some similarities with Litoria sp. tadpoles!

• Start sourcing your pinhead crickets now. I don't know about the US but here in rural Australia they are VERY difficult to come about. It doesn't hurt to be prepared and ask your local breeders or petstores if they will be able to get you a regular supply of pinhead/baby crickets to feed your froglets.

• Only perform water changes with rain water, no addition of salt or minerals is required for tadpoles as is with fish. Just pure rain water, preferably not water that has been collected off the roof but rather just place buckets out in the yard. The problem with tap water is that fluoride can kill or deform tadpoles and it is not removed by the drops that treat chlorine. You can also use dam/river water if you are sure that is is not tainted by chemicals. I personally use the water from the lake on our property that is full of tadpoles seasonally, obviously the water is spot on as the local frogs thrive.

• No more than two tadpoles to a litre of water is a good general rule, so if you have a few hundred/thousand tadpoles, you may need to cull for the greater good if you don't have a good deal of space/ time to raise them.

• You will need to oxygenate your water, this can be achieved using an airstone on a very low output for tree frog species (they don't tend to like fast moving water). Alternatively, if your tank is nearby a window you can use plants to oxygenate the water, assuming the tank gets enough sunlight or artificial UV light to photosynthesise. I personally use Hornwort that I pulled from our dam but you can use any frilly plant with lots of surface area for oxygen production. Things like anubias and other aquarium plants with just a few thick leaves are less effective.

• Tadpoles that have recently left the water and still have their tails won't be too keen on eating so don't panic (like I used to!). They will absorb their tails over time and will start to develop an appetite shortly afterwards.

• Provide lots of cover for the froglets to retreat under when they first emerge to reduce stress, but also ensure it is something that they will not get tangled up in or lost (like sphagnum for example). You want to be able to easily monitor them. Little ceramic/plastic caves that are designed for small mammals or reptiles often do the trick! Or I cut coke bottles in half longways and cover it with a damp cloth. (So I can lift the cloth and look inside their hide without disturbing them too much.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it on! But good luck and enjoy this egg-citing time! Nothing is better than raising taddies <3
    Well, i just got back from a short vacation. And one decided to pop its front legs out in that short 48hrs... The tadpoles when i received them were itty bitty like 1/4 the size of a dime. Now the froglet is roughly half a dime. Its tiny. It rarely rains where I am. So I have resorted to setting out water 24-48hrs before i change the water. I haven't used any circulation. 98% of the tads died upon arrival because the post man didn't follow procedure.. Newbie.. But three are living strong. "Eenie, meenie, minie"&, moe died tho... Eenie is the one that has all legs. I have made it semi arboreal in the tank that I have kept them in now.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
    I am new to frogs. I have 2 green tree frogs, and 1 pacman, as well as over 20+ tarantulas!!!

www.jessicasarachnids.us

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HerpetologyBarbie View Post

I meant to put a couple different pix of the froglet sorry.. Btw this is Eenie the tree froglet.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

www.jessicasarachnids.us

7. This member thanks treefrogger for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

How old are they now woukd you considee selling like 2?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Or where did you get them??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thread Information