Thread: Stone Centipedes breeding, possible problem?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Stone Centipedes breeding, possible problem?

I have noticed that the evasive Centipede has been reproducing somehow and there are about 6-8 that I know of running around under the top layer of dirt. I read they eat insects but have never seen them attack anything and I watch this tank frequently. Could they pose a threat to the native insects in the tank (Earthworms & Woodlice) or animals?

I noticed the slug group is gone. So if they eat slugs, it makes sense. Also I have noticed a few Millipedes in the tank. They are an off grey. Should I try to remove them? The plants are growing and filling in so I know that they aren't being eaten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Stone Centipedes breeding, possible problem?

Does/ will is tank contain frogs? If so then you should definitely try to get rid of them immediately. Stone centipedes are voracious predators that will eat almost anything, (I've even seen them feeding on dead mice, mushrooms and pea sprouts) and they have a venomous bite like a wasp sting. Even though they usually stay out of sight they're not something you want a frog, especially a small one, trying to eat. The shells of adult woodlice are to tough for their forcipules to pierce but molting and young woodlice are fair game.
    You probably won't be able to catch the centipedes by hand without tearing apart the tank. Maybe you could try tying half a mealworm or a meat scrap to a thread and leaving it somewhere you often see them. When they get ahold of something tasty they're reluctant to let go.
    millipedes generally are harmless scavengers like woodlice, but some species secrete foul smelling and even poisonous toxins. There's one kind that doesn't smell and is accepted by insectivorous animals, which is fairly short, cylindrical in shape and moves quickly. However I doubt this is the species you have in there because stone centipedes enjoy eating them. Again, if you have frogs I would remove them to be safe. Especially if you'll be keeping tropical species that aren't familiar with the local invertebrates.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have wild American toads and a northern leopard frog in a 75 gallon. I know the species are not a concern because they probably could eat the pedes like in the wild. I'm not playing with millipedes though, I'm getting them out of there. The info I have on them is they are small and don't get big but I know they can do damage. I'm thinking of feeding them to the frog an toad. But they must be eating the Woodlice. Thanks for the help. They have been in the tank since June. About to update whole tank in December.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The frogs more than likely know better than to eat the millipedes then. But I still wouldn't leave the centipedes in there, sure toads are tough critters that eat bees and stuff but why take that risk? I mean, you wouldn't leave a coyote in a room with a bunch of rattlesnakes just because they coexist in the wild.
    BTW now that you mention that you have toads, I can tell you that the centipedes had nothing to do with the slug's disappearance. Your population of woodlice ain't gonna last long either I bet.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    A murky swamp, searching for frozen frogs

I've kept them before. Very active and defensive. It's not worth the risk to keep them in there. Chances are that they're Lithobius spp., correct?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    The frogs more than likely know better than to eat the millipedes then. But I still wouldn't leave the centipedes in there, sure toads are tough critters that eat bees and stuff but why take that risk? I mean, you wouldn't leave a coyote in a room with a bunch of rattlesnakes just because they coexist in the wild.
    BTW now that you mention that you have toads, I can tell you that the centipedes had nothing to do with the slug's disappearance. Your population of woodlice ain't gonna last long either I bet.

I actually have had a colony of Woodlice since June. You should never assume. I have yet to see one of my animals eat the Woodlice. I have not lost any. When I put my hand in the dirt, babies run out like crazy, so they have bread more than I though they would. So I actually do not believe your assumption because of the population multiplying by 10 in 5 months. I understand your concern with the centipedes. They can be a problem. I have 8-9 inches of dirt and they made tunnel systems 4-6 inches under which is why they haven't been eaten. If things have been going as planned so far, I see no immediate danger since it's been almost 6 months. The Viv will be completely changed in a month anyway so it's pointless to wreck it now.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Maybe you have one of the foul tasting woodlice species. There's at least one common species that nothing will eat. I've tried keeping a colony of armadillidium vulgare with some young fowler's toads before, and they were gone within two weeks once the toads were added. But there are other wood louse species (one of the "sow bugs" that don't roll up completely) that I've yet to have something try to eat more than once.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It is the normal purplish species common in pa. I put them in the tank a day before the animals went in. They went under the surface. I think that is what saved them

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

This species?
    https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Porcellio-scaber.JPG

You're probably right. Pillbugs aren't nearly as secretive as other woodlouse species and I just sort of assumed you were using them since they're the most common near human habitation.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

No, I researched the species that I wanted and that I have in my Viv. I knew how to keep them before I got them. Same with the earthworms and Wrigglers. I didnt mean to be aggressive, I have had people tell me a lot of things about my tank. I have studied them. So I don't know what's going to happen with the centipedes, I might research them again They will be taken out though

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

what species are they then? just curious

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I will get a picture soon

Thread Information