I've seen so many people say that a heat mat will burn a Horned frog so I thought I'd just correct you...

Reasons why a heat mat could burn a frog:
- It's not being used with a thermostat. Heat mats must always be used with a thermostat, most heat mat instruction manuals actually state this but some don't. The reason for this is that most heat mats will reach temperatures of 100F when plugged directly in to wall. Unlike basking lamps or ceramic heat emitters, a heat mats wattage does not determine the heat produced, it's just more energy is needed to heat a larger area. The thermostats probe should be under the substrate in contact with the glass that's being heated, not above the substrate as this will not control the mat properly and it could overheat.

- The temperature of the mat is not being measured correctly. Next to the thermostat probe you should have a digital thermometer's probe as well, this will measure the true temperature of the floor, where the animal will be. Some people may use a gauge thermometer that sticks on to the side glass, this cannot measure the temperature of the mat and you will not get a correct reading; you could think you're tanks at around 70F because the air temperature is, where as the floor is actually well above that.

Possible problems a mat could cause:
-A heat mat used with a thick layer of substrate could overheat from thermal blocking although if the tank has a raised bottom or rubber feets are used this could prevent this. Do not place anything like a water dish on top of the mat!

-It's not natural for a burrowing frog for it to burrow closer to the heat source. Yes it is not natural, however neither is keeping it in a glass tank is it? The frog will still be able to thermal-regulate by moving away from the mat.

Conclusion: it is not heat mats that burn animals, any heat source could cause problems if it is not understood and installed correctly. If you do not like the idea of a heat mat, then use a heat lamp.

Jason