Thread: Ways of stacking Pacmans?

Default Ways of stacking Pacmans?

Hi everyone,

I have 3 Pacman frogs which I currently keep in faunariums but I would really like to keep them stacked with doors on the front?

Obviously the issue with terrariums is that you cannot stack due to the mesh but wondered if anyone had any good ideas on how I can do this or any particular set ups that would work?

Thanks, Hannah!

from Hannah

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Ways of stacking Pacmans?

Faunariums aren't really that great, a Horned frog will quickly out grow one. I would get plastic rubs, you won't be able to stack them unless you had a rack and then you'd need heat mats/strip and thermostat per shelve . The best thing that could work, which I'm planning on doing when I plan on breeding would be to use a large plastic rub that equals the size between 10-20 gal and put them on a sheet of polystyrene with a heat mat connected to a pulse thermostat and use digital thermometer inside the rub under the substrate to set the right temp. As you may have noticed the heat mat will need to be on the bottom, now this isn't a problem as long as it covers no more than half the floor or less, as the frog will still be able to regulate it's temperature, it may not be natural but neither is living in a plastic box, it's just practical, will work and the frog will still thrive

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Faunariums aren't really that great, a Horned frog will quickly out grow one. I would get plastic rubs, you won't be able to stack them unless you had a rack and then you'd need heat mats/strip and thermostat per shelve . The best thing that could work, which I'm planning on doing when I plan on breeding would be to use a large plastic rub that equals the size between 10-20 gal and put them on a sheet of polystyrene with a heat mat connected to a pulse thermostat and use digital thermometer inside the rub under the substrate to set the right temp. As you may have noticed the heat mat will need to be on the bottom, now this isn't a problem as long as it covers no more than half the floor or less, as the frog will still be able to regulate it's temperature, it may not be natural but neither is living in a plastic box, it's just practical, will work and the frog will still thrive
    Great thanks for the advice Jason, faunariums were only short term but they don't hold the humidity very well either so time to start looking at other options.

I would like to breed my pacmans in the future so definitely something I'd like to look at doing!

from Hannah

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

don't worry too much about humidity, keep the substrate moist enough to clump and that'll be fine for horned frogs, i usually mist every 1-2 days. a plastic rub will hold a lot of humidity but be sure to provide enough holes for ventilation or cut a space where screen can be glued on. good luck, it would probably be better getting a few more horned frogs for that

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    don't worry too much about humidity, keep the substrate moist enough to clump and that'll be fine for horned frogs, i usually mist every 1-2 days. a plastic rub will hold a lot of humidity but be sure to provide enough holes for ventilation or cut a space where screen can be glued on. good luck, it would probably be better getting a few more horned frogs for that
    Great thank you very much

from Hannah

Nationality
    [Canada]

Another option if you go the tub route would be one of those snake racks people use. I have seen a couple videos on youtube of people who breed or just have a ton pacmans that have them housed this way or similar. I may be doing something similar myself soon because I picked up a little green Cranwelli yesterday, so that puts me at 3 the same as you. I wont do mine for abit so let me know what route you end up takeing and how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Another option if you go the tub route would be one of those snake racks people use. I have seen a couple videos on youtube of people who breed or just have a ton pacmans that have them housed this way or similar. I may be doing something similar myself soon because I picked up a little green Cranwelli yesterday, so that puts me at 3 the same as you. I wont do mine for abit so let me know what route you end up takeing and how it works out.
    Definitely, thanks so much!!!

from Hannah

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Thats what I meant by rack the thing is though as I said it would need a heat mat thermostat per shelve and snake racks are really expensive for a hobbyist, so the rubs on polystyrene on a table is cheapest. Racks will be good when housing large numbers though

Thread Information