Thread: HELP! He going to die...........:(

Nationality
    [Canada]

Exclamation HELP! He going to die...........:(

Hi

So Tylt my 11 years old is very sick.....

I found him one morning with blood coming out of his cloaca. So it was an immediate trip to the vet at 630 am!

At the vet, i didnt have no stool to produce and she looked at him, we did xrays and she said its orobably parasites so she sent us hom with baytril once a day for 21 days nd metradanazole once every second dayfor 21 days as well.

Well he only got worst. Now he has two black patches on him ge didnt have before, he is stressed as hell from getting his mouth pried open everyday which is hard as hell on me too, he used to be the lime green type of boy and ate like a pig and now he is really dark purple, never green again and now its been a week since he has eaten. He has lost so much weight.. skinny crazy and its gross.. and he crawl in a ball at the bottom of the cage aall day and doesnt move.. he will move abit at night and hang outin the water bowl but the WHOLe day hes crawled up in a ball at the bottom of the cage,,,

I am at a lost.. from not eating he hasnt poop once yet since we went to the vet on oct 8... so i cant bring nothjng to the vet and the vet is an hour away also.

He is in a 18x18x18 quarantine tank with water dishes, a hide and sticky plants.
    Humjdity kept like usual between 60 and 80 and tempereture kept on the higher side of 70 with sometimes increae to 82 on the hot days.
    He is alone, obviously
    I tried hand feeding him a bunch of times, whcih he use to almost eat my fingers lol, and refuses everything. Like EVERYTHING
    He has had a warm honey bath and two regular baths aswell, thinking it would help

I need help.... Im starting to think he will either die or I would have to let him go

I have anpther two whites that he used to be with. Since he is in quarantine, the other boys have been ddoing very good and the one that used to have a bit of runny poop has solid poop now! And i have 4 Gastrotheca Riobambea and i CAN NOT afford a invasive parasite in my house!

Please help me!

The meds are done, the torture is over and the vet just told me she cant garanteed he is fully healthy which he obviously isnt... Not putting him back with my healthy babies but i cant stand seeing him in pain liek this....

Anyone?! Please?!

SIDE NOTE... I am an experience frog keeper , i just never had to deal with illnesses yet and i am devasted.. please be nice!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: HELP! He going to die...........:(

If you never had any problems before with him or any others parasite wise over the years maybe it could be old age? I don't have any whites so I don't know how long they usually live but maybe that's a possibility to whats happening. And so sorry to hear hes not well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm so sorry your frog isn't doing well Hopefully the medications will help. Good job getting him to the vet and best of luck ((hugs))
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks for the warm tthoughts guys

This is hard. And i read that if medication gets given without knowing exactly what it is , it can turn into a fungal infection... which is worst to fight off

Wtfs usually live up to 15. I mean he is getting up there..

If he keeps refusing food now that the meds have been over for a day or two, with all the stress he has gone under already, should i force feed him?.

If he doesnt get better all i see is to put him to sleep..

Anyone with suggestions?

How long should i go with him not eating and crawled in a ball at the bottom of the cage?

������

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They can make it a couple of weeks without eating... personally...I'd probably give him about 10 days. Did he have a rectal prolapse causing the bleeding? They did the xray, so unlikely to be a blockage then. Such a hard thing. Putting down a frog is not easy also, but better than prolonged suffering. I'd give him a good 10 more days though unless you notice a sudden change.

You could try contacting Dr. Frye and see if he has some input also - http://milanareaanimalhospital.com/aboutus.html - He is a great help.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Amy,

There was no prolapse either when i saw the blood trail, i was praying thats what it was...

Ok. Tonight is feed night. I will see if he eats!

I did email Dr.Frye this morning actually. Waiting on a response

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    They can make it a couple of weeks without eating... personally...I'd probably give him about 10 days. Did he have a rectal prolapse causing the bleeding? They did the xray, so unlikely to be a blockage then. Such a hard thing. Putting down a frog is not easy also, but better than prolonged suffering. I'd give him a good 10 more days though unless you notice a sudden change.

You could try contacting Dr. Frye and see if he has some input also - http://milanareaanimalhospital.com/aboutus.html - He is a great help.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would call in the morning and let him know you sent an urgent email, he should get back to you more quickly if he hasn't by then.

9. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Update..

So.. found two solid small poop last night.

He still is lethargic, hangs out at the bottom of the cage cawled in a ball, so dark in colour like ive never seen, he is grossly skinny now you can see most of his bones and his tummy is just a flap of skin and he hasnt eat now in well over a week maybe even a week and half...

I forced feed him.. which i dint think now was a good idea but he took 2 waxworm.. better than nothing..

I am at a lost....

Thread Information