Thread: Is it really red leg?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Is it really red leg?

My whites tree frog slurp has been battling for the past year what I had assumed to be redleg. However after 4 (I think) weeklong doses of Baytril along with a quarantine tank for a month and a half I'm starting to think it is something else. Her underside of her back legs and halfway up belly is red. It is a light red when she is calm and resting but as soon as you take her out to give medicine or so you can clean her quarantine tank her underside is a much richer red color. I took 2 pictures of her (not the best quality) http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/12...?sort=3&page=1. I will get around to posting the list of stuff about her on Thursday. Really busy between work and school so hopefully I'll have time to use the computer then. Any suggestions are welcome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Is it really red leg?

Hey hows it going? that does not look like redleg, and if he had redleg for a year he would not be with you anymore more then likely. His belly looks like the normal pink it should be to me, but others might have a different opinion. What exact signs of illness is showing at the moment? He may be ok and all the stress from baths and handling etc. might be what is causing him to act abit off. Stress is one of the number one causes of death in captive reptiles and amphibians, From those pics to me he seems to look like a normal whites.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It could be a normal redness. When he sheds, does he leave patchy spots? Have there been any sores? If not it may not be redleg. Medication can make a frog act a bit off.

6. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

No patchy spots at all but my main concern is how she stops eating. Earlier this year she went over 3 weeks eating absolutely nothing. She then started eating one cricket at most every 2-3 days. I gave her honey baths aswell as calcium baths and started Baytril. She started getting better and was eating fine (still doesn't eat from hand like she used to) but 3 days ago didn't eat at all. She then only had one cricket the next night so I am worried she might be sick again. The last dosage of Baytril ran out 5 days ago but like you said it might not be red leg. Vet thinks it is but he admits he doesn't know everything about frogs lol. The redness shown in picture doesn't do justice. It is usually a more vibrant red (it kinda is gross to me and makes my skin crawl) usually but picture had bad lighting. Any ideas on what it could be? What can I do to help her?

Nationality
    [United States]

1. Whites tree frog
    4. 18x18x24
    5. one
    6. With her brother who passed away from red leg (assumed)
    7. none
    8. 50% (70% after spray 35% before spray)
    9. 75-78 degrees and 70-72 at night (occasionally higher or lower)
    10. Digital temp gauge and an infrared temp gun
    11. 75 watt zoo med bulb with UVA for daytime. 60 watt zoo med red infrared night light for night
    12. Water change every night or when pooped in I do it sooner. Tree/hide cleaned every night because quarantine tank.
    13. Well water for everything. No dechlorinator as it is chlorine free. never had problems in 3 years I have had her.
    14. Repticarpet as of now because she dislikes eco-earth.
    15. Clean with big bowl of water then clean repticarpet. wash off glass. make sure nothing except water ever touches her stuff so not to contaminate it. Plastic hanging plants.
    16. Tonight
    17. Yesterday
    18. Was 3 crickets every other day. sometimes did 1 one day and 2 the next etc.
    19. large cricket
    20. gave her a pinkie mouse for Christmas
    21. Crickets
    22. Roam
    23. Tetrafauna- reptolife plus
    24. Tetrafauna- reptocal (has D3)- Just about every feeding.
    26. 4 years, 1 month
    27. 3 years, 10 months
    28. Petco
    29. CB (i think because they were tiny when I first get her and her brother)
    30. Only when needed, more lately because I am worried about her. Wear gloves and always wash twice without soap to make sure no skin oils than i keep hands damp so i don't pick up and bacteria on way and never touch any door handles. But i make sure my hands are perfectly clean. #OCD about harming her
    31. Low traffic
    32. Baytril for a week. i have done that 4 times?

Here is a link to Slurps picture (I put it on yahoo answers (because this site wont let me)- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2202443AAJ9bIe
    Here is a link to enclosure- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't know what to tell you, everything looks good. Probably a fecal test would be the only way to diagnose a problem.

10. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

What does her feces look like? Is it normal? Runny?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

12. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Feces sometimes come out looking like a cricket in a cocoon so to say. I'm worried because when she stops eating she just ignores food like it's not there. I'm sure the redness isn't normal though as the 2 years I had her before this she always had a super white underbelly. Any ideas? Thank you

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

cricket in a cocoon? It sounds like she may not be digesting. I really wish I could be more helpful.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok now she refuses to eat again been about 4 days so far. The Baytril helps her but everytime the dose runs out she stops eating. Am I out of options?

Nationality
    [United States]

Try Metronidizole.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

17. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

It's a 500mg in 500ml solution. 3 drops daily on her back. Be sure the concentration is the same. I get mine premixed from Dr. Frye.

Nationality
    [United States]

Dr. David Frye

(734) 439-2273

Can email his office at:

dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh boy....... Take that repticarpet you are using immediately! Use wet white papertowels, changed daily.
    What dosage and treatment protocol for baytril have you used?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

21. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

How can you tell she dislikes eco-earth? What makes you think she doesn't like it?

Nationality
    [United States]

My bad, I've been doing a quarantine tank with paper towels for her for the past month and a half. For baytril it was 0.003 cc every 24 hrs for 7 days. last treatment was 14 days however. She eats much better when shes on it but as soon as it runs out she is sick again. How long would the Metrondilize treatment last?

Nationality
    [United States]

The dirt gets all over her and she never is seen resting on the ground and always stays up high.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If she tests clear of parasites I would look into probiotics... could be all the med has unbalanced her system.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

Like fecal sample? Would it be okay on the ride there, in Wisconsin it's cold right now so would 30 degree temps affect it? Also he has started eating again but she still is very red. Should I still get probioyics?

Thread Information