Thread: RETF assistance requested please

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default RETF assistance requested please

Let me start this with a barrage of curse words. AAAAAAAAAAH!

OK better...

Well. Colony of 3. Setting up a qt for Granpa as we speak.
    Paper towel floor
    Clear plastic container for a soak.
    No decor(poor guy)

Ok then. The past Id say 2-3 days, Granpa Munster, our little retf(he stayed smaller than your usual retf) has been slightly lethargic. He still eats ok. We dust. 2x a week with d3. 2x with just calcium. He can still climb and all but seems lazy.

We're concerned.

They have had the same water soak(which i personally blame for this) since we got them. It gets cleaned every other day, but has air bubbles in its surface texture, making some spots impossible to clean. So we boil it from time to time to try and help. I am praying its not redleg.

We will let the pics tell all

This morning

His belly/legs

We gloved up and tortured Herman and Lilly as well. Whitish/ cream color tummies.

What was the over counter med people use in the water to treat this? Could it be red leg? At this point im caught with me pants down, financial hardships recently to be nice.

Do yall need another/closer picture? Any advice? Is that stupid water soak to blame? His tummy looks a little poofier than usual. Maybe he ate something? We have had a few brave spiders try to get in their tanks lately due to the season change. Immediatly removed once we notice them.

Thanks folks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: RETF assistance requested please

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Let me start this with a barrage of curse words. AAAAAAAAAAH!

OK better...

Well. Colony of 3. Setting up a qt for Granpa as we speak.
    Paper towel floor
    Clear plastic container for a soak.
    No decor(poor guy)

Ok then. The past Id say 2-3 days, Granpa Munster, our little retf(he stayed smaller than your usual retf) has been slightly lethargic. He still eats ok. We dust. 2x a week with d3. 2x with just calcium. He can still climb and all but seems lazy.

We're concerned.

They have had the same water soak(which i personally blame for this) since we got them. It gets cleaned every other day, but has air bubbles in its surface texture, making some spots impossible to clean. So we boil it from time to time to try and help. I am praying its not redleg.

We will let the pics tell all

This morning

His belly/legs

We gloved up and tortured Herman and Lilly as well. Whitish/ cream color tummies.

What was the over counter med people use in the water to treat this? Could it be red leg? At this point im caught with me pants down, financial hardships recently to be nice.

Do yall need another/closer picture? Any advice? Is that stupid water soak to blame? His tummy looks a little poofier than usual. Maybe he ate something? We have had a few brave spiders try to get in their tanks lately due to the season change. Immediatly removed once we notice them.

Thanks folks.
    I don't know, mine old male did the same. How old is he, maybe it's old age kicking in. Don't know jack stuff about these guys since I lost mine, but I don't know, it could be a disease though. Hopefully a RETF expert gets back to you soon

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Lol were hoping so too. No idea on his age. My mom picked him and herman up as an adult from an expo. Tryed to keep them with an amazon emerald tree python. They never moved, so i got them lol. Granpa has a TON of white freckles. Not too sure if hes a starry morph, or old as dirt.

Regaurdless, this is our first actual health issue. Were kind of scared for him. He moved about and just re-located himself as im typing this. Assuming a normal frog ball to sleep. Pic in one moment. My phone will reset the page as soon as i try and load to photobucket.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Good back shot now that hes settled in. Hes really dark today. Normally hes darker than the rest, but today hes daaaaark.

The stupid fargin water dish in question. See all them air bubble pockets?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey man sorry to hear your frog isn't doing well. Is the over the counter medicine your thinking of called Bactine?

8. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It could have been the angle, but from the first picture, his eye pupils are slit to different levels, one is narrower than the other. Any recent pictures of his eyes?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Unfortunatly no. His eyes were open at different levels tho. One was fully open. One half. This is also a first weve ever seen this. He almost looked... well.. drunk. Ive noticed around his pupils, the red color has been fading a little. This is odd indeed. Trying not to disturb him too much since he just fell asleep a little while ago.

Think my bedroom (where they ALL are) light being on at night(on and off alot) is messing with his natural pattern?

11. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hey man sorry to hear your frog isn't doing well. Is the over the counter medicine your thinking of called Bactine?

AHHAH! THAAAAAANK YOU! thats the name!

This is a tough one for us to deal with. We always try to be soooooooo anal about our care/cleaning. This truly is nerve racking. I love our animals more than most people. Being in the tight spot we are, makes a vet visit just about impossible. This could not have happened at a worse time. Which is how it goes isn't it???

Anyone out there run their soak dish through the dishwasher out there? Our water is set for retardedly hot,so maybe empty dishwasher, no soap, sterilizing run?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well. After speaking to a few people abroad...

Dun dun duuuuuuuuuun

We took a black light to them. I forget the complicated name sorry. Im distraught. There were small white splotches on them. A skin problem due to.....

Long suspensful pause.....

Indeed my own fogger. Too much constant moisture in the tank. A constant of about 80-85% for a little better than a year id say the foggers been on... Turned down their fog, ditched the soak, bye bye $25.... scowered the whole tank leaves and all. Prepared some nice enzyme treated water. Applied silversulfadine.

Now, we wait.

14. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hi Krispy,

Sounds right to me, one of the most common mistakes with Red Eyes is keeping them too wet which encourages bacterial infections. Sadly many of the care sheets tell you to keep them at 80-90% humidity so people follow this incorrect advice and this is the result.
    I did put a modern care sheet sheet highlighting the problem up here:

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=251

Hope he pulls through!
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    It could have been the angle, but from the first picture, his eye pupils are slit to different levels, one is narrower than the other. Any recent pictures of his eyes?
    After sitting up long hours, actually yes one pupil is larger.

Thread Information