Thread: Advice on Hyla chinensis care?

joeyboy

Default Advice on Hyla chinensis care?

I was wondering if the care for this species is pretty much the same as Hyla cinerea or not? Obviously it's going to be pretty similiar, but I imagine there could be a difference between temperature and humidity requirements between a South-Eastern US frog, and a frog which spans areas of China.

Secondly considering they grow to around 1.5-2", how many adults would I be able to comfortably house in an enclosure which is 1.5ftx1.5ftx2ft (45x45x60cm)? The tallest measurement being the height.

Finally, I'm new to amphibians, I was wondering if females of the species would call or not? I have heard they can be sexed and so I might get a group of females for now, since this enclosure is quite near my bed and crickets are bad enough, let alone a tree-frog chorus!

Cheers, joe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Advice on Hyla chinensis care?

Females don't call. Otherwise keep the same as Gray Tree Frogs (see the care article linked on every page of this site).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

joeyboy

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Females don't call. Otherwise keep the same as Gray Tree Frogs (see the care article linked on every page of this site).
    oh good, I read that as I assumed they probably had similar requirements being in the same Genus. Also good to hear I can get some sleep if I can buy sexed females.

Thanks for the help.

joeyboy

I've read that care sheet stickied at the top of the page, really good.

The only questions I have are:

1) You mention the smallest size exo terra could fit one pair, 2 at a stretch. I think the 45cm x45cm, x60cm is the largest arboreal enclosure, or was at the time of me buying it anyway. So I assume I could possibly fit 6 frogs in something this size?

2) It seems to suggest they do not require a basking spot and room temp(my room is rather warm as it is, 27c as we speak) is sufficient. However I didn't see a mention of UVB, I assume it's not discussed as they don't require it?

Kurt

UVB would be a good idea.

joeyboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    UVB would be a good idea.
    ok cheers, I'll go with a 5% tube then, room temp is still 27c now, never drops below 19c in winter(I have a rather warm room...south facing, other heat sources etc)

Any idea on the capacity of a 45x45x60cm for Hyla sp? If it helps I think that's 33 US gallons? I don't use em being a Brit, don't use gallons at all, litres but not gallons, kind of like you guys use lbs, but not st and lbs it seems.

Kurt

I am not all that familar with Hyla chinesis. Sorry.

joeyboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I am not all that familar with Hyla chinesis. Sorry.
    yeah it seems there not kept so often. But since they're the same size as the Gray Tree frog, would you have an estimate based on that species at all? Sorry for being a pain, just want to get this right with them being my first group of phibs. I'll have to make a thread in the enclosures section when it's all set-up before the frogs arrive.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, everything based on Gray Tree Frog. Most temperate and mildly sub-tropical Hyla species require the same basic care.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information