Thread: Size comparison

Default Size comparison

I have my male and female both in the same tank. It's hard to get a good picture of both of them next up each other so I took advantage of them being in their cleaning tank. She is quite the bit larger than him. Is it ok having them together or is she a threat to him? I've read and have heard stories of frogs going cannibal when one is much larger than the other.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Size comparison

They do sit with each other sometimes. Also when he was hurt she stayed with him for most of the time. If she wasn't nere him when I was checking on how he was doing she would would come closer and keep an eye on me. I'm afraid to separate them for the sake of it stressing them out but I really don't want her eating him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That looks a little risky. His widest part needs to be bigger than her head in order for him to avoid getting eaten. There probably will be a little bullying at least. My larger frog has snapped at my little frog's head once or twice, trying to eat him. Luckily my little frog is too large to eat.

She nipped at him once after he healed all the way. I was thinking maybe a dominance thing? She stuck by his side the whole time he was hurt. I was surprised by it because I didn't think frogs were like that. They do sit with each other to almost like they are snuggling so I'm afraid to separate them for that reason.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I really doubt it's dominance. Frogs aren't pack animals, they don't have societies. More likely it's just a "small moving thing: must eat" response. That's why frogs do things like eat pebbles.

On the bright side, since she didn't eat him, maybe that means he won't fit in her mouth? It could be true that they want to be together. I've heard stories on this forum about male frogs who wanted desperately to get out of their tank and into a tank with a female. Once they were put there, they were content.

That could be a problem since I assume them to be siblings. Bit I dint have a large enough water source for her to lay eggs in

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well the good news is that many types of frogs won't actually try to mate until they've had a period of hibernation. You're probably safe from tadpoles.

Thread Information