Thread: Hygrometer Issues

Default Hygrometer Issues

So I just got two new crested geckos and put them in an exo terra 18x18x24 enclosure. I also purchased a NG Hygrometer since the analog ones didn't appear to be accurate. The new NG hygrometer has stayed at around 80% humidity even without misting for the last day and half. I didn't think this was right so I moved another one in and put it on the opposite side of the tank and it reads 15% lower.

Can there really be that much of a difference in this size tank from wall to wall? Did I just get a bad hygrometer? Moving it around doesn't seem to change the readings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hygrometer Issues

Can we have a picture? Placement of plants, hides, ledges, all of it, effects temp and humidity in every single corner. If its fresh bedding, yeah it will be spiked for days. One wall being slightly warmer/cooler will also effect your humidity. Theres alot that can factor

Do you have another tank with an accurate meter? If so, place the one in question with it and see whatcha get. Analog dials.... ugh. The temps can be off in excess of 10-15degrees. They read the glass. I never trusted one for humidity. My mom n stepdad used one on the redtail mum begged me for till i gave it to her... i felt bad and got them a digi. Analog was off about 8%. I still go over moms to check on my snake regularly lol. When mocha hits about 8ft i look for her to come back to my house again.

The battery may be pooping out as well. My zoo med digi gets awfully funny when the battery gets weak. This is why they pick a central point in the tank with good airflow and leave it. Things do/can vary. Id still test the bugger.
    Last edited by Krispy; October 21st, 2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: poor southwest pa. grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Can we have a picture? Placement of plants, hides, ledges, all of it, effects temp and humidity in every single corner. If its fresh bedding, yeah it will be spiked for days. One wall being slightly warmer/cooler will also effect your humidity. Theres alot that can factor

Do you have another tank with an accurate meter? If so, place the one in question with it and see whatcha get. Analog dials.... ugh. The temps can be off in excess of 10-15degrees. They read the glass. I never trusted one for humidity. My mom n stepdad used one on the redtail mum begged me for till i gave it to her... i felt bad and got them a digi. Analog was off about 8%. I still go over moms to check on my snake regularly lol. When mocha hits about 8ft i look for her to come back to my house again.

The battery may be pooping out as well. My zoo med digi gets awfully funny when the battery gets weak.
    Here is a pic of the setup the day I put them in. I moved the hygrometer from the fbt tank, which I trust and have them both on opposite walls with a 13% difference. The analog is off by about 40% compared to the digitals. The new one reads high, the slightly older one reads 13-15% lower but it's always seemed accurate in the fbt tank. One each is set midway up the tank walls on opposite sides.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Wow id forgotten how nice the background is. Same tank retf in it. Background eaten by killer pothos.

Is the moist side the one with the plants by chance? They do hold n make alot of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Wow id forgotten how nice the background is. Same tank retf in it. Background eaten by killer pothos.

Is the moist side the one with the plants by chance? They do hold n make alot of water.
    Great. I've put a pothos right at the base of the background lol...how long did it take to ravage?

Yes, the higher humidity is on the pothos side..lower % on the right and the soil is 3 days fresh.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

We put in a fake flexy vine and it followed it. Took maybe 2months. Once you get some good growth going the humidity should be more even across the tank. Love your geckos. I wanted a red one. Are they active little squirts?

So far not so much. They are still acclimating and stay hidden during the day but I expected that. I'm probably going to separate them tomorrow as the bigger one put the smaller ones leg in his mouth tonight and I'm worried they are both male and may fight to the death. If not, I will reintroduce them later on. They are pretty cool though and should be fine solitary.

Thread Information