Thread: Update on pacman frog that wouldn`t burrow :) Also a question about heating

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Update on pacman frog that wouldn`t burrow :) Also a question about heating

So I had posted a while ago about my little guy not wanting to burrow and following some suggestions given here he seems much happier Yesterday I actually cleaned out his tank and switched him over to eco earth. This morning when I woke up I had this moment of panic that he had gotten out of his enclosure somehow, until I saw a little red eye poking up from the substrate. So that is a win He is also eating really well and REALLY likes his nightcrawlers. I have gotten him to eat dubia but he doesn`t seem all that fond of him. The person I got him from was only feeding him pinky mice, so I was worried he would never see anything else as food but hunger won out. He has about doubled in size since I got him!

So....now for the question.....

My room stays pretty warm during the summer, so because of that I have not been using supplemental heat. However, winter is coming up so I know that will change. He is in a 2.5 gallon tank right now (he is still a baby, I am thinking he should be moved to a 5 gallon soon though). I am worried about using a heat pad or light or anything because his enclosure is small enough that it would heat the whole thing. Also there is a lot of conflicting information about heating for these guys. Some say heat pads are to hot, some say lights will kill the humidity, and some say you shouldn`t use heat pads because the frogs burrow to get cooler. Sooooo.....suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Update on pacman frog that wouldn`t burrow :) Also a question about heating

Hey, so glad to hear he is doing better. That's always nice to hear. IMO I wouldn't waste the money at the moment for a heat pad because at the rate they grow you would have to keep peeling it off to put on his new enclosure and after doing this there is great chance you could damage the inside of the matt, which could equal a serious fire hazard. I would buy a 40 watt red bulb and and one of those adjustable stands and have the light suspended over just one half of the tank since its a small tank and that way you will still have some kind of temp gradient. And doing it this way till he gets bigger and is put in his permanent home will be a lot easier and cost efficient for ya when changing tank sizes. Again so glad hes doing better for you.

4. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Update on pacman frog that wouldn`t burrow :) Also a question about heating

Thank you so much for the information! I actually just had an issue with a UTH that had been peeled off the tank it was heating and I think it must have been broken or something. It busted the glass! Fortunately my snake was alright, but it kind of scared me needless to say! Thanks for the awesome info though! I was wondering about a heat lamp just for now since he is growing so fast. Then I was worried because he is albino so his eyes are pink and more light sensitive. Which kind of brings up another question.....I am going to college and I am attending night classes. When I come home at night I turn on the light in my room and I have noticed his pupils are really wide (obviously because it is dark before I get home). Since I noticed that I have been just turning on a small light next to my bed instead of my main room light. Is that a good idea so as not to blind him?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Usually when they are awake when its dark there pupils will always look huge. That's what I love about the albinos, when they are awake there big red eyes make them look so much meaner. L.O.L. The light from the ceiling shouldn't hurt his eyes, this is what I use for lighting for my albino and her eye sight is fine so you turning on the light shouldn't blind him. But the little desk lamp is probably better due to it being a lot dimmer and with it being night for him and having it dark then really bright from the ceiling light and then dark again might kind of confuse him to when its supposed to be day and night if you have to have the light on for extended periods of time. If its possible I would try to put him somewhere he can get a full 12hrs day and night cycle but if you cant and the desk lamp isn't on for a long time he should fine.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

2.5 gallon is a bit small, doesn't allow for a good thermal gradient so wouldn't recommend a heat lamp. If I were you I'd just go straight for a 10g and forget the smaller tanks. A 40w infrared as mentioned should be enough for that size or a heat mat that covers half the wall. If you have problems with humidity use a layer of sphagnum moss (not green moss!) but make sure he does not eat any of it, you can feed crickets by tongs and worms in dish.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh yes he LOVES his worms! And he is eating from a tong so from what I understand that means I can feed him a larger variety of stuff like canned bugs and snails When he is bigger anyway. Right now he is pretty tiny, only about two inches or so. He is growing really fast though, so it may not be a bad idea just to go for a ten gallon.

Is green moss okay? I tend to use that a lot because of the color and I like the smell. If it is harmful to him though I will stop using it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Glad to hear hes doing better. For the moss some people will put it in and a lot of others wont due to high impaction risk if by chance its swallowed. I know a lot of the really experienced pac owners on here prefer to leave it out also. They don't always have the best aim when catching food and even with tongs you have a chance of the food item falling off into the moss and I know my guys as soon as something hits the ground near them they are eaten it. Also when they shed they eat anything that's stuck to there skin so if theres a big strand of moss on him its going down the hatch with the shed skin. So really when it comes to this I think its really going to be up to the owner of the frog if they want to take the chance or not. Coco fibre will break up abit if swallowed due to its texture where as some mosses are very long and stringing and wont break up inside him like the cocofibre would.

Nationality
    [United States]

Usually when I put the moss in his tank it is only around his water dish, so not near where I feed him. Maybe I will leave it out for now until he is in a bigger tank. His aim really isn`t all that great. It is kind of endearing

Would a ceramic heat emitter work good for a heat source? I am getting one for my ball python and was thinking of switching everyone over. The UTH have been giving me a lot of problems. Several have been defective right out of the gate, they seem to get too hot or too cold, they only have on or off settings.....so someone gave me the idea to put rocks under where the emitter is so they heat up and provide belly heat.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Actually I cant believe I forgot about those, and yes you could use one I know of people on here that use them. I have never used them but supposedly they aren't as drying as lights. If you start a thread in forum section for lights and stuff I imagine one of the people that use them will see the thread and will be able to give you some advice on size you would need and more of the pros and cons that come with using them. I know they get very hot.

Nationality
    [United States]

Will do! Thank you so much!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread I have to say I posted pretty much the same question on another forum for ball pythons because my UTH malfunctioned and cracked my ball pythons tank, and I was just asking for advise on other heating options and the way they were talking I am the reason for global warming and world hunger because I am an awful person! You guys have been really helpful here I can`t thank you enough!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would highly advise you not to use green moss, I've had my horned frog impacted on that. It's just really bad quality stuff to be honest. Sphagnum moss is a much better choice if you want to put some moss
    in; it has longer fibers and I've found it to pat down better, posing less risk to the frog

16. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you. I hadn`t thought of that.

Thread Information