Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Pacman Frog

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Smile My first Pacman Frog

Hello everybody,

I just joined and introduced myself here.
    Last Saturday I got my first Pacman frog. He or she is a C. Cranwelli, green with some yellow.
    I knew about Pacmans for a while but never really thought about keeping one.
    Recently i started watching care video's, reading care sheets, etc. and became well... slightly obsessed lol.

My froggy Kermit, (had to be Kermit of course) is now 3 months on land, and still very small
    Has a feisty character, and that's why I chose this one, because of the active response I got when picking her little container up at the frog fair this weekend.
    I house her in an Exo Terra (30cmx30cmx30cm)The substrate is 5 /6 cm of coco coir, eco earth, it's the same thing.
    I have an UTH about 7 watts covering a third of the tank for night heat, I have it on 24/7, so Kermit can thermoregulate.
    I chose to put it under the tank, not on the side because I have an exo terra which has a screen top, so I'd have a lot of heat loss, and I am planning on a backdrop which will further obstruct warmt. The heat mat only covers a small area, and Kermit can get away from it if needed.

The temperature still got to only about 21 degrees celcius using only the small heat mat, and I read that was a bit on the low side.
    I added an exo terra daylight basking lamp of 25 watts to the enclosure.
    I chose this lamp because it's sides are covered with a neodymium coating, so it's not too bright and the beam is not fixed on a certain spot, so no bright lights for Kermits eyes, and the substrate doesn't dry out fast. It now is about 24/25 degrees celcius during the day give or take a degree sometimes.

The humidity is between 60 to 80% sometimes a bit higher when the light goes off. I try to keep it between 70 to 80% during the day with daily misting.I read that that was the preferred humidity level.There is a hide at the warm side and one at the cool side, and also a shallow exo terra waterdish, I added some fake plants as decor but didn't want to make it too complicated for cleaning purposes and not to make it too crowded in there.
    I know Kermit will get bigger and bigger... and bigger, so I am aware I'll have to buy a bigger enclosure when Kermit is full grown, then I might add some driftwood in there, but I'll look into that in December or so. I am planning to get one about 50 to 60 cm wide and 30 deep.

I fed Kermit some crickets, 1 is already gone but there are a few left. I dust them on and off with reptivite, and treat the water used for bathing and misting with water conditioner. I am really trying hard to do things right, because I love this frog

Well, enough said I guess here are some pictures of my frog and the enclosure.

Take care now,

Joey

2. This member thanks Shakudo for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My first Pacman Frog

Welcome, and nice frog!

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Welcome, and nice frog!

Thank you

6. This member thanks Shakudo for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

If you're putting it on the bottom it's even more important to put the heat pad on a thermostat to prevent the frog from overheating whilst trying to burrow. The thermostat probe should be underneath the substrate on the glass to make sure it doesn't get too hot

8. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    If you're putting it on the bottom it's even more important to put the heat pad on a thermostat to prevent the frog from overheating whilst trying to burrow. The thermostat probe should be underneath the substrate on the glass to make sure it doesn't get too hot
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

No problem. I wish you fun with your new frog!

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Thanks I updated the enclosure today with a backdrop and have seen Kermit pooping. That's always a good sign I hope. So I am very happy with Kermit

12. This member thanks Shakudo for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's nice little pacman you got there. A little advice about the misting, you can mist with distilled or R/O water but its only good for misting. Lots of people will use it because it doesn't leave spots all over the glass because its so pure. Just don't put it in the bowl or mix the substrate with it. And if the little guy gets hit with a few drops he will be ok, its when they are in it for long periods of time where it can become not good for them.

14. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    That's nice little pacman you got there. A little advice about the misting, you can mist with distilled or R/O water but its only good for misting. Lots of people will use it because it doesn't leave spots all over the glass because its so pure. Just don't put it in the bowl or mix the substrate with it. And if the little guy gets hit with a few drops he will be ok, its when they are in it for long periods of time where it can become not good for them.
    Thank you, when I made the coco coir I used tap water without water conditioner. I was in a hurry and forgot. But the coir was left to air for a day before Kermit came in. Then I read up and I now mist only with water treated with water conditioner and the water bowl only gets filled with that. The spots I can clean off with a little sponge once in a while, I'm used to them.

16. This member thanks Shakudo for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Better to be safe then sorry, im a clean freak so the spots drive me crazy like theres no tomorrow.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Better to be safe then sorry, im a clean freak so the spots drive me crazy like theres no tomorrow.

Well... it's common here we have hard water. In December I am planning on buying a permanent enclosure, I'm not sure if I would like the big exo terra or a "normal" brandless one. This tank is borrowed from a friend, and I know a bit how it works, I have had exo terra's before so it's like an old friend coming back lol.
    When I have the new tank, I might become more obsessed with the spots so, it might be something to consider lol.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Here are some more pics I took today, I rinsed the backdrop under the shower and after some cutting and wigling it sits in place.
    I chose for a custom one, because they are less thick then the exo terra ones, and that saves a little space for my froggy.

Enjoy

20. This member thanks Shakudo for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Nice setup, if you don't mind me asking did you order that coconut hut from somewhere? And if yes where? I have looked in every pet store where I live and cant find one, I wanted to get a couple for my fire belly toads.

22. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Nice setup, if you don't mind me asking did you order that coconut hut from somewhere? And if yes where? I have looked in every pet store where I live and cant find one, I wanted to get a couple for my fire belly toads.
    Thank you, no I don't mind.
    The coconut hut was bought on a frog expo, I visit reptile expos often and almost always there is someone selling these, they are very popular for the dart frogs. Maybe you could try and see if there is an expo or fair near you?

Member needs to set country!

This is making me want a pacman frog so bad lol.

Great setup by the way

25. This member thanks 06cleanxb for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

O6cleanxb they are great frogs/toads, I love mine. MY advice though to you would be to read as much as you can on them, if you have any questions come here for advice because most the info big chain petstores give out is horrible and totally inaccurate. And I would get your tank up and running so you have the temps and humidity in check before purchasing the frog and bringing him home. So many times I see an impulse buy then the person is constantly around for the first few days trying to get everything in spec while the frog is in the tank and this is very stressfull for them on top of just being relocated and trying to settle into his new surroundings.

27. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

They are awesome pets but don't do much til feeding and night time. As stated a lot of pet stores are terrible for advice. I recommend reading Chacoan Horned Frogs by Philippe de Vosjoli as this is from someone who breeds them, infact one of the first to!

29. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Member needs to set country!

Default My first Pacman Frog

Oh I'm not new to them. Had two, a couple years ago. I'm military so I had to let them go to good homes when I moved. I'd never get an animal with out having the enclosure set up for it.

I know what you mean though. To many rush in and buy something their not ready for.

Right now I own a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. Just been considering getting a pacman again cause there so cool and easy to keep. Hardest thing for most people is the humidity. I have to keep my snake above 90% so the pacman would be easy. Just got to think it over for awhile. Just seeing the cute guy above and sick enclosure makes me want one again

31. 2 members thank 06cleanxb for this post:

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by 06cleanxb View Post
    This is making me want a pacman frog so bad lol.

Great setup by the way

That's always a good thing to hear lol, and thank you

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Kinvere, West Midlands, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Aw what an adorable little frog!

34. This member thanks Drayvan for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast