Thread: What to feed acf?

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

Default What to feed acf?

I am going to be buying an african clawed frog online along with a large fish purchase. I plan to start breeding some guppies and some endlers so he can have live food every once and again. What should I feed him along with the occasional feedings of fish?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: What to feed acf?

Clawed frogs will eat just about anything you put in. Good choices include ReptoMin, frozen foods except bloodworms, night crawlers, and blackworms.

Feeder fish are a bad choice for clawed frogs. They aren't part of their natural diet, and are very fatty. If you do feed fish, once a month should be the limit. Never feed goldfish, as they contain a chemical that can block calcium.

Live night crawlers from WalMart, sold as fish bait, are one of the best live feeders for the frogs. Make sure not to buy the dyed worms, as the dye may be toxic. Also avoid the red wigglers since these apparently taste bad. Once a week I give each of my adult frogs one night crawler, or two if they are small worms. All my frogs eat them from my hand.

If you wan't a good staple diet, Xenopus Express sells a sinking frog food that is awesome. It's very reasonably priced, and one bag should last you a year or more.

100+ Post Member

Sorry I'm a bit late. School has taken up most of my time. I am actually breeding some quality guppies. Not those feeder fish you see for sale. I will feed him live guppies once a month, how many should I feed him? About 2 or 5? So Xenophon Express? I looked it up and I think I found some food that would be good for my AFC. Is it the Irradiated Adult Xenopus Diet? from http://www.xenopus.com/products.htm Also how's the laboratory amphibian diet large sinking worm pellet ? That seems like it would be good for my frog. Sorry for all the questions.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would get the one marked "Sinking Frog Food -3/32" Juveniles and Adults." This is the food I use, and I am very happy with it. It is also the food they use at Xenopus Express. I would use this as your primary food, and give them the other foods once a week for a little variety.

For feeder fish, I would feed no more than 2 guppies each month. Clawed frogs can get obese quick!

Never apologize for asking questions. It's a sign of a good pet parent!

100+ Post Member

Thanks .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    Thanks .
    You're welcome.

Also give night crawlers a try. All my frogs are trained to eat worms from my hand. One girl will even swim into my open hand and wait for her treat. It's a great way (maybe the only way) to interact with your frog. Teaching them that your hand means food can also make tank maintenance easier, as the frogs are less likely to go crazy and hurt themselves any time your hands are in the water.

Just make sure your hands are clean and free of soap/chemicals before reaching into the water.

Nationality
    [United States]

One quick note to anyone new to clawed frogs reading this thread - Feeder fish from pet stores are bred in outdoor ponds and can carry a wide range of diseases that a frog can catch. The best way to use fish as feeders is to do *** Brian suggested and breed your own. This way you can be relatively sure that they don't carry any pathogens such as worms or fungus.

Thread Information