Thread: Maple Branches Sage for Gray Tree Frog?

Default Maple Branches Sage for Gray Tree Frog?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone know whether or not maple (probably sugar maple) branches are safe for a gray tree frog terrarium. The Caudata.org article says they are safe in dry set-ups. Is a gray tree frog terrarium considered too wet?

I'd really like to know, because if they're not safe I'll probably have to buy wood from a petshop. In my area, the places that are away from the city (and potential pesticide use) are very much dominated by maple and it can be hard to find fallen branches that you can be sure don't come from one and that aren't green. That is, unless you are in one of those sections that are dominated by conifers...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Maple Branches Sage for Gray Tree Frog?

Can you edit thread titles? That title was supposed to read "safe" not "sage" :-)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If I remember correctly, Maple is a softwood. It would probably be okay for your frogs, but it would mildew and break down relatively quickly in damp conditions. It depends on the humidity of your terrarium. Maybe if you're okay replacing it in a couple years?

The names are confusing because there is Soft Maple and Hard Maple, but both are hardwood... Apparently, Hard Maple specifically refers to sugar maple, which is what I think I have.

If it turns out that its bad wood for her, do you know if it would be obvious that something is wrong before it gets too problematic?

It might be hard to tell if I put them in now because I don't think she ever moves from the spot (at the bottom of the terrarium) where she settled a couple of minutes after I put her in....but then again, that might be because there are no branches in there yet.

Edit: I'm wondering if, by wet setting, the Caudata article means a setting in which the wood is submerged or partially submerged in water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As for the wood itself, check for mildew. As far as the frog goes...sadly it's hard to tell when they're feeling bad. Or rather they always have pretty much the same symptoms no matter what: lethargy and not eating. If your frog gets sick, I'd move it to another tank for observation and if you've ruled out everything else it might be the wood.

Thanks.

Looks like I might have to try those branches. My local petshop doesn't carry anything that looks suitable for a tree frog.

At the moment, she's not using anything that's already in the terrarium. She just sits on the ground in the most open area of the terrarium.

Thread Information