Thread: New found frog!

Default New found frog!

So I went fishing today. Well I went turtle fishing( I dont eat em but sometimes I keep em). My dad was the one trying to fish. Lol I probably spooked all his fish. Although he did manage to catch a pike. . . Lolol anywho.... I was getting all jittery and actually went into the water where it had mud. You know? Like kind of swampy I guess but not really. I was seeing alot of bubbles. Alot of frogs. But at the time they didnt catch my interest since they were all the same(bullfrogs) and although I do like that frog. I just seen them too much I can just pick one up if I ever wanted one. But I didnt I was mainly on the lookout for turtles. So like I went into the water, my feet sank down into the mud so like 3feet of mud underwater. I dont know what its called. Iam guessing its either 2 or 3 feet. Since only half my body was covered with water. Pretty much till my stomach. So a foot deep of water. and 2-3 feet of muck? anywho there were alot of water plants. Anachris, lilly pads, and a few other plants that I dont know about. Something bit me so I yelped. My dad came around and told me to get out of the water. It wasnt a turtle. it was a sting(bite). So I didnt complain. We headed back. Went to a spot where there was gravel for some weird reason. To wash my feet. There next to me was a small newly morphed pickerel frog. Iam like looking at it. Its not even frantic or anything. So iam like the heck? Its not afraid? So then I thought back to my friend wanting another frog(he has a ton and I mean a ton of frogs. and easy access to terrariums and aquariums). So I tried to catch it. It was out witting me for a while. But I managed to catch it. I seriously think it was trying to play with me because it could have just swam away. It didnt. Then again its probably my imagination. Oh well a man can dream. Well so I finally caught him. Put him in a bottle in a shaded area while I went to the shallow area which I dubbed "lurker territory". I like to give odd names to places. Reason I called it that was because any animal youd think that lurks pretty much lies under water. I went with my huge net to the corner. Caught two female musk turtles and a male. Currently Iam deciding id keep a sex pair of them. End up breeding them. I caught a baby one. But the net had big openings so it got out without me being able to catch it in time. Argh. I shouldnt have stayed there dumbfounded. By the time I came to my senses it plopped into the water. Little rascal. xD So the whole day I kept seeing alot of bullfrogs. Iam guessing pickerels are a tad rare to see. But not rare in the wild? My friend is going to keep him/her. I think hed go on a diet of fruit flies. He/she is very small. Any ideas? Enclosure size, foods, habitat? Iam thinking of helping him build it. This is a gift for him. But he accepted it already so I wanna know how to help him build the tank.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New found frog!

Same kind of care as any other jumping ranid but keep in mind that pickerels are quite poisonous and you run the risk of poisoning any frog you keep with it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Default Re: New found frog!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Same kind of care as any other jumping ranid but keep in mind that pickerels are quite poisonous and you run the risk of poisoning any frog you keep with it.
    Currently its alone. So would a 20gallon-30gallon be okay in the long run?

Thread Information