Thread: White tree frog possibly not eating.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default White tree frog possibly not eating.

Hello,

I have had my white tree frog for some time now, but just recently he looks to have stopped eating. I have monitored him and he doesn't seem to be losing weight as his ears are still partially covered. It has started getting colder outside as fall approaches but it is still warm outside as I live in the south. He is still very active and tends to sleep normally; as well as climbs all over the place and really lets me know when he wants out of the aquarium as he tries to get out since he found a way out before with the screen top. Yes the frog lifted the screen top himself and climbed out. I occasionally check to see if he has eaten anything and check from droppings but haven't seen any for awhile and I don't see or feel anything in his stomach when he wants out. I just fed him and my baby toads just last night as I got crickets and meal worms. (the baby toads I keep in a separate aquarium). I have not fed him any of the meal worms yet but have tried to with him taking no interest in them or the crickets. My white tree frog also croaks almost every night so I am thinking that he might be lonely and looking for a mate. I do not want to resort to force feeding him.... He is also a bright jade green and is always that way, and I have been saving up to get him a bigger aquarium that I have had my eye on at petco near my house since last winter and almost have enough to move him out of his current one. He does not seem impacted either and the tank I have him in is mostly water with plants and a stump. Although since the female passed he has seemed a little depressed and has a depressed look on his face.

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    White tree frog
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    http://imageshack.com/a/img901/9932/UZEVP1.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img913/4258/XklEYB.jpg
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    Will have to upload one alter
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    20 gal tall. when I get enough money I am upgrading to a 40 gal tall
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    I had a female white awhile back when I first got him but she passed away earlier this year. I moved my barking tree frog into the enclosure that I have had for almost three years now when the female passed. The barking tree frog is also a female and almost the same size as my white until I am able to get another female white. My female white passed away at the beginning of May when I left for Kansas City, MO for a few days. My dad fed them for me while I was gone and I don't know how my female passed as it was sudden. I thoroughly cleaned the aquarium after she passed.
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    No
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    Not sure as my humidifier gauge broke. Last I checked was usually around 60% - 70%
    9----what temperature is maintained
    75 - 85 during the day depending on the temperature outside around 70 at night
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    Nothing
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    The sun. The aquarium sits in front of a window with half of it shaded from the sun.
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    Water changes and filter cleaning every month
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    Tap
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    Tap
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    Don't use de-clorinated water as I am off a well system and get my water checked regularly. There is nothing found in my water that would harm my frog or my fish that I keep downstairs as I use the same water for both. So I use my tap water from my well. I also raise tadpoles in the same water and almost all of the thrive.
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    Water
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    Scrub it thoroughly with a cleaning tool that has never touched chemicals of any kind including soap. If needed and in for a really good deep clean I scrub it down and then fill it with water and some vinegar to kill any bacteria or germs left in the aquarium; when I do this I usually put the frog in another aquarium for 24 hours while the vinegar does its job. I rarely have to do this though and usually only do this when setting up the aquarium for the first time or after a year has passed.
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    None except for a window facing the woods
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    As I have not seen any droppings lately not completely sure probably around a month ago that I have actually witnessed him eating myself.
    17---have you found poop lately
    No.....
    18---how often is the frog fed
    Twice a week
    19---what size feeder is given
    Large crickets
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    Meal worms or super worms
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    Crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    Free roam but I keep others in a cricket enclosure and usually only feed him around 2 or 3 crickets
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    Gut loaded crickets with either a potato or Fluker's orange cube complete cricket diet
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    Repti calcium by zoo med as its the only stuff I can find at the closest pet store which is petco. :/ Dusted every couple of feeding for the white.
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    I dusted the food every couple of feeding using repti calcium; but I gut load the crickets before feeding him and my baby toads
    26---approximate age of the frog
    Full grown
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    Just about 2 years now
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    Petco, I bought him awhile back when he was still sort of small, but he was in their small aquarium for so long because no one wanted to buy the poor thing.
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    Captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    Only handled when he wants out of his aquarium but he usually just goes to sleep near the aquarium on the desk it sits on. I wash my hands thoroughly before and after I handle the frog.
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    Only I go into the room that he is kept in.
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    No (he is by himself)
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    No

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White tree frog possibly not eating.

How do you know he isn't eating/pooping? Feces could be quickly dissolved in water. If you have water as substrate, how do the crickets free roam? Is the water in the bottom of the tank cycled?

He isn't "lonely." They are not social animals, there is likely something else going on. If your female passed away also, there may be some sort of pathogen infecting him.

Do you have the barking tree frog in with him now?? Some of your answers are confusing me -

5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    I had a female white awhile back when I first got him but she passed away earlier this year. I moved my barking tree frog into the enclosure that I have had for almost three years now when the female passed. The barking tree frog is also a female and almost the same size as my white until I am able to get another female white. My female white passed away at the beginning of May when I left for Kansas City, MO for a few days. My dad fed them for me while I was gone and I don't know how my female passed as it was sudden. I thoroughly cleaned the aquarium after she passed.
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    No
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm confused too.. you said the tank is mostly water with plants and a stump then said there were no plants but the tank was by a window facing woods? Maybe a picture of the enclosure would help. Also you say he is by himself but also said there is a female barking tree frog. If he is by himself and you gave him 2-3 crickets every couple of days then you would know if he was eating or not because the crickets would still be there or not. Sorry but we can help you more if you cleared some things up.

Nationality
    [United States]

my bad fat fingered the one.... I can post pics of the aquarium tomorrow if I remember after I perform the monthly cleaning of it. As for plants in it what I mean is that there is fake plants that float in the water on the left side of the tank. I am thinking of switching back to substrate for the aquarium as it is a little easier to manage and you don't get as much crickets in the water. I am going to give the aquarium a good scrubbing. As for him in the pictures how does he look to yall? Also sorry about the late response, been working a lot lately and my classes have started back up in college. also it seems I forgot to answer one of the questions. my bad.

Thread Information