Thread: BIG AMERICAN toad in my backyard wana keep him what are the steps to not stress him out?

Talking BIG AMERICAN toad in my backyard wana keep him what are the steps to not stress him out?

ok it pretty much says it all in the title hi I'm awesomecs I just joined 5 seconds ago so I'm pretty new I've never owned a frog or toad but I've had TONS of them in my backyard and was thinking of adopting a baby one I see huge ones that I want to stay in my backyard and lay eggs and such.in fact I saw a huge one today I dint bother it thoe IT SCARED THE LIFE OUT OF ME I went to bend down to tend my plants I saw a unfamiliar rock it was strange since all the rocks usually stay under the dirt I bend down when I saw 2 huge eyes pop open and it was a big American toad so should I take one in for my care I have one Russian tortoise and she's the best

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: BIG AMERICAN toad in my backyard wana keep him what are the steps to not stress him out?

We have a toad care-sheet on here. Let me pull it up for you

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: BIG AMERICAN toad in my backyard wana keep him what are the steps to not stress him out?

Nationality
    [United States]

Big? Is she Reddish color (as opposed to greenish)? Most likely a big girl. Check for nuptial pads, I bet you won't find them.
    We have an assortment of toads that visit our toad light every night, my favorites are the girls. They are much more tolerant of being picked up and inspected.... Less likely to pee.
    We have one little male tho that has somehow learned to hop, or climb, up 2 normal size stairs (brick with a concrete lip) and hunts on our porch. I have yet to see him do it, no small feat for a toad. My kids call him "Spidertoad".
    Do you want to keep her in an enclosure, as a pet? If not, she will disappear in the breeding season and may or may not return. We have one large female that returns every year. She was a rehab that we kept for a while after she was accidentally stepped on. We call her "squishy". She's a big old girl and I think her breeding days are over since she hasn't left our yard for a couple years.
    if you do decide to keep her as a pet, the care sheet is a good guide. As far as "stressing" her, in my experience with American toads, they are probably the toughest, most resilient critters that you can put in a box. Not to say you can't stress one, just saying that just asking shows you have what it takes to keep one happy. I've had many of them that were in very bad shape. Toads that needed to be picked up, medicated, force fed, etc for weeks on end that never lost their attitude and were no worse for wear the day they were released.

Thread Information