Thread: How to induce breeding in waxy monkey frogs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default How to induce breeding in waxy monkey frogs.

Hello, I have two waxy monkey frogs male and a female. The male loves the female he's always calling and attaching himself to the female but problem is I can't get the female the lay her eggs (well he can't get her too). I was wondering if I can get any help in getting them to breed successfully. I know it's not easy but it can be done. We don't have a breeding in Canada I believe and I would like to be that guy.

Tyler

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: How to induce breeding in waxy monkey frogs.

Would need some more information to be able to advise.

How long have you had the frogs? Are they both fully grown?
    What daytime/night time temperatures and lighting type and on/off cycle?
    What size vivarium and type/decor/substrate?
    What humidity?
    How long has all of the above been in place and has it changed and if so from what?
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The terrarium is a 70 gallon planted broms moss. Water fall. T5 bulbs for lighting. I had a heat lamp a small one but they would always stay so far from it. Right now there temps are 75-80 in different spots. They have been together for about a month they were separate for the purpose of checking for sickness then I added them and within a short period the male attached himself. And he does it every night now. Other then the last two nights. Substrate is moss and dirt. Night temps are 72. 12 hours the lights are on 12 off. Trying to Mimic the natural light cycle.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I can't tell if you have cycled the animals from what you are saying. Most frogs breed during the rainy season and spend the dry season feeding in preparation, for the female that means egg production. It sounds like you have quite a humid set up, this is probably what has induced the male, but unless the female has ovulated and is happy with the environment she will not spawn. (Males are easy to get interested). However, be aware that humidity will kill these frogs, they need a dry and hot environment, humidity must be carefully introduced when attempting to breed and they need to have had the correct preparation period first. This means a dry, cooler period of some months followed by higher humidity and temperatures and introduction to a properly set up rain chamber.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Thread Information