Thread: sick 2 yr old pacman frog

Question sick 2 yr old pacman frog

Sherman P. Helmsley, our 2 year old pacman frog is not happy. His issues have started after crickets hatched in his tank. I got rid of them by changing all the substrate. He was irritated at first now he's not looking so good. We've had crickets in the tank for over a week. He wants nothing to do with them. He's been closing his eyes most of the time. I was thinking maybe it's the substrate not sure though- the coconut substrate is over a year old & looks fine. I put him in his "bath" <- when I do it's about 15-20minutes.. nothing has helped. He's has not eaten, opened his eyes, or made any bowel movement, in over a week. Advice please!
    *The temperature has not fluctuated it's almost 80 & the humidity is always almost 20- We don't spinkle vitamins on the crickets. The crickets are fed with the flukers orange cube cricket diet as well as the high cal. cricket diet feed. Any tips folks?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: sick 2 yr old pacman frog

You probably need to bring him to vet, he more then likely has a bacterial infection or fungal infection which you will need meds for. By the sounds of it home remedies aren't going to cut it now. You should never leave crickets in the enclosure with your frog for that long, when feeding him you are supposed to take whats not eaten out the next morning. Crickets get hungry too and if they are hungry there is good chance they could bite your frog. You are supposed to change the substrate every month tops, a year is way too long. he could also be severly toxed out so a photo would help a lot, you will have to post to a site like Photobucket or similar because the uploader for this site isn't working. Your temps need to be around 82F, this plays a huge part in his health and digestion. Also with the food you need to buy some vitamins the orange cubes aren't enough, He needs calcium and d3 and a multivitamin. After you post a picture someone will be able to help abit more with diagnosing whats wrong but IMO a trip to vet wouldn't hurt, after living in lower temps and not having substrate changed that long plus no vitamins there could be more then one thing wrong with him. With no supplemental calcium besides the cricket food he could have also developed MBD over time. Also when giving a bath to get him to poop you need to add some honey to water, it acts as laxative almost. So you put a few drops of pure honey in a shallow container of declorinated warm water no higher then his chin and let him soak for about 20 mins. You could put a towel over the container to help keep the heat in and make him feel secure and place him in a very quiet room. After the honey bath give him just a normal bath in warm declorinated water for like 10 to 15 mins to rinse the honey residue off.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

I'm working on uploading a picture. Sorry for the confusion the substrate in the tank has been changed monthly. It's the big bag of substrate that's over a year old.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You may want to make a vet apt then, the substrate being a year old is what made me think he was toxed out. But if its being changed monthly it shouldn't be that unless you expand the with nontreated water.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Kinvere, West Midlands, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The substrate looks very dry too, that might have something to do with it I'd swap him onto some fresh, moist (should clump when squeezed but not drip much) substrate and contact a vet. It's possible with the dryness he's trying to estivate, but he does look quite poorly.

11. This member thanks Drayvan for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I just reread your first post and when you say the humidity is 20- does that mean 20%? If so your frog is severly dehydrated and trying to estivate as Drayvan suggested. It should be in between 70 to 80%. I keep my tanks at 75%. All and all this guy doesn't look good at all and im thinking the only sure way he will make it is a vet trip asap. Oh and when you put him in a bath does he open eyes at all or do they just stay shut?

13. This member thanks monster for this post:

Yep it's 20% What's the fastest way to get the humidity up? When he's outside his tank & in the bath he keeps his eyes wide open.

This has been the 1st time since we've had him that he's gone without eating

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya that's way to low it has to be at 70-80% range. For the humidity I would do whole substrate change and like mentioned you want it to clump in your hand but not be dripping water, these guys absorb there water through there skin so the moist substrate is a must. If you use heat matts you can cover 2/3 of the top with saran wrap or tinfoil and this help a whole lot to keep the humidity and heat up, I personally use foil because I do use heat matts and helps with heat more the saran wrap IMO (my heat matts are placed on the sides). If your using bulbs for heat you can cover the whole top with foil put the dome down were you would want to place it and cut a circle out about 2/3 to an inch bigger then the dome, this way there is ventilation. You may want to buy a dimmer or something to hook the heat source up to though because with the top covered your heat is going to go up abit. And just mist a couple times a day. I think you should bring him to a vet to get him checked out but in the mean time if he is opening his eyes in the bath and seems abit more energetic you can buy some pedialyte and make him a warm bath with this in it to help restore some of his energy. The mixture should be 1oz of the pedialyte to 10ozs of water. If it is a severe case of dehydration fixing the humidity and a soak in this should help abit. I do recommend a vet trip even if it does work abit because he really doesn't look good and im afraid there could be something else wrong with him.

17. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have a very sick frog at the moment who is getting vet care, and he doesn't look nearly that bad. I would highly recommend a vet visit. Another thing I am noticing is that your frog is quite small for a 2 year old. It looks about the size of the 1 year old I have that I know was malnourished for the first six months of it's life. Please thoroughly read the care guidelines posted as a sticky at the top of the pacman forum. I know you have probably been following the exact care guidelines given to you by the pet store you got him from, but those care guides are way off base. And if anything is questionable to you, ask the forum. Good luck.

19. This member thanks Thevacantface for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I never noticed the size but The vacantface is right. I imagine him never receiving proper vitamin supplementation would play a big part in that.

Thread Information