Thread: Ruby (ACF) is bloated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ruby (ACF) is bloated

Ruby, one of my ACFs, has bloated. I recently took on more hours at work and started slacking on water changes which I assume is to blame, I feel horrible. I've done one salt bath (1 gallon of water, 1/2 tsp epsom salt-30 mins per bath) a day for the past three days but so far it doesn't seem to have done much. She is able to dive but once she relaxes she floats back up top. She is mainly found floating on the surface, moving with the filter current. I'm not sure what to do. Should I medicate? I have a box of Maracyn II, though it expired in March. I can't get new Maracyn right away but might be able to pick up erythromycin or tetracycline at work today, would either of those meds work? Or would the expired Maracyn II be okay? Do you follow the treatment plan outlined on the box for fish or do you have to do a different procedure/dosage? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Ruby (ACF) is bloated

Aw I'm sorry!!

any pictures? Is it hard bloat or soft bloat?
    Soft bloat it looks like a partially filled water balloon under the skin - very wiggly and jiggly. Comes on suddenly.
    Hard bloat looks like a balloon being inflated with air - very smooth and puffy. Usually is more of a gradual puffing up.

I have a feeling you have soft bloat, which is similar to dropsy judging by how suddenly it has developed and that she is floating frequently. (often caused by a bacterial infection which may or may not be linked to you being busier...)

Treat with Maracyn II or Maracyn plus, I would not used expired medications as the potency may no longer be accurate.
    I'd continue with the salt baths. I'd try increasing her bath time to up to an hour, even do two 30 minute baths if that is easier for you.

Unfortunately not all cases of soft bloat are curable. Is Ruby your only frog? If not I would separate her from the others as if it is due to a bacterial infection it may be contagious.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, what temperature is your tank? When I'm treating frogs for bacterial issues, I try to keep the water around 70-72. This helps slow down bacteria growth, so the frog's immune system has a better chance of working with the medicine.

Salt baths are good, but in your display tank you may want to add a teaspoon of marine salt (like Instant Ocean) per gallon of water. I find that amount of salt is good as a preventative step for bloat.

+1 to separating your frog if she isn't your only frog. If it is bacterial in nature, it will be very contagious.

I have one other frog, I will separate her asap. I'll try to pick up new Maracyn II/plus tomorrow. I'm not sure what kind of bloat it is, her swelling is very wiggly though, it jiggles and ripples when she moves. I did read on a website about bloat that my temp may have been too high so I unplugged the heater. The water is now room temp but that's still in the mid-upper 70's, we've had a heat wave this week so hopefully it will drop closer to 72 once it cools down a bit outside. I'll also start doing longer baths. Thank you both for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Try pointing a fan onto the water surface. Evaporation will cool the water to the low 70's. You could buy a fan like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-Fan-...item19d938d991

Took some photos. Her skin seems to be getting progressively worse since I started the salt baths, it's hanging off of her and she can't shed properly. Now it seems she's got a little sore forming on her left leg.

DSC_1438

DSC_1437

DSC_1436

DSC_1435

DSC_1432

Nationality
    [United States]

It might be a good idea to start him on antibiotics too. Maybe a separate hospital tank for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruby ate half a reptomin stick today. It's the first she's been able to eat since she bloated so I'm pretty excited and cautiously optimistic.

What antibiotic should I use on my male? Are his symptoms more in line with parasites or should I just assume he's being affected by the same microorganisms as Ruby?

Nationality
    [United States]

It's most likely that they have the same pathogen. But it is possible he may have something else. I would treat him as you are treating Ruby, and watch for signs of other issues.

I'm glad Ruby was able to eat some. That is definitely a good sign. Did you add any marine salt to her hospital tank?

I haven't added any salt at this point because I haven't seen it mentioned on any websites I've gone to, so I'm a bit concerned about it's safety.

Nationality
    [United States]

Marine salt is a safe preventative for fungal and bacterial infections. It is such an accepted practice that the sticky "Trouble in the Enclosure", on this forum, asks how much is added (question 20.) In many places such as Britain, escaped populations are found breeding in brackish water.

I started adding Instant Ocean after talking to a few researchers that keep frogs for oocyte collection. Salt hardens the water, which is very beneficial to the frogs. It also helps them maintain a good slime coat and lowers pathogens.

I've been adding salt for years. Coupled with good maintenance, I haven't had a sick frog since adding salt.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would medicate both. Keep up Ruby's treatment until all the swelling is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never ended up re-treating Ruby or treating Moe. I wasn't able to get to the store right away and Ruby's bloating disappeared and I haven't noticed Moe kicking at himself so much, though I still see it on occasion. Ruby's issues continue however. She is now emaciated. She's eating with no issues but appears to be starving. I'm not sure if she was skinny before and it was covered up by the bloat or if this is an after effect of the bloat. I know I need to treat them with something I just need to know what. Should I just give her more antibiotics or should I treat for parasites? And what medication can you use for parasites in aquatic frogs?

Thread Information