Thread: Coconut Fiber or Spaghnum moss for adult PacMan

Default Coconut Fiber or Spaghnum moss for adult PacMan

Coconut fiber is some sticky stuff. Going to switch to Spaghnum moss. I heard both can cause impactation. Coconut fiber sticks to my frog and pretty much everything else. Plus feces doesn't stand out like it does with moss, which I prefer for cleaning purposes. I just want to know what everyone else has to say. Sorry I have tried to upload pictures but im on a chromebook and its a mission to resize pics. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Coconut Fiber or Spaghnum moss for adult PacMan

picture
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, if I were you I would stick with what you have. Yes if he eats a bunch of the cocofibre he could get impacted but most the time they are able to pass without any problems. If he eats a mouthful of cocofibre the ball of fibre would break up as he swallows it because its all loose and a lot finer then moss. Were if he eats a ball of moss it is more then likely going to stay a ball and block the intestine. Also think of how you said the cocofibre sticks to him, when shedding he eats his skin and anything else that it is on it, again the coco fibre Is almost like a very thick sand were as moss is big and stringy. The point being it would take a huge amount of cocofibre or a solid ball of it to impact him were as with moss you have a way higher impaction risk. For example while feeding my 2 month old Ornata the other night the worm kept falling of the tongs and he doesn't have the best aim so while it was sitting on the cocofibre he missed a couple times and got I would say 2 nice mouthfuls of the substrate, he just pooped last night with no problems. And ya I know it sticks to them and makes them look dirty but out of all honesty being a burrower and a ground dwelling frog he is supposed to be dirty and really anything you put in there for substrate once he digs down into it, its going to stick to him. IMO I wouldn't use the moss because he will ingest it whether it be from shedding or eating, hope this helped abit.

Talking Re: Coconut Fiber or Spaghnum moss for adult PacMan

Awesome! Thanks for the info, so it sounds like people recommend coconut fiber for good reasons, and there is a difference health wise between the substrates. I guess i will just suck it up for the sake of my frog. I kind of had it way to wet the first time I setup the tank, plus the water bowl would spill onto the substrate which made it worse. I setup the tank this last time with the coconut fiber not soaked but moist, I would say more on the dry side then the wet. I placed the water bowl somewhere easier to get to and Im just going to use a towel to soak up the water in his bowl when i change it. I think I can handle it. I took the water dish out for a couple of days, but since the substrate in drier now and he always liked the bowl in the first place, I put it back in. The truth is, if I get a month without having to change the substrate out, its either disgusting in the tank or maybe it will last with the new setup. We will see, I have a 10 gallon tank. Thanks again for the info!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If it's sphagnum and not the cheap green moss it should be okay for adult as prey items will be bigger but would advise you to use tongs. Coco fiber is the safer option by far

Nationality
    [Canada]

Prey items digest were as cocofibre and sphagnum moss doesn't. If you choose to use moss make sure you don't drop the food item off the tongs because hes picking up the moss with the item and again sphagnum moss is a lot bigger then cocofibre. And being an adult if it drops into the moss just means hes going to get a lot more in his mouth then a baby, bigger mouth and bigger tongue means a lot more is fitting in there. I imagine yes there is people that have gotten away with it without problems but again I don't think its worth the risk. I seen my adult albino get a huge mouthful of substrate one night to the point were she was having a hard time swallowing it, it looked like she was going to choke and luckily she didn't. I was pretty worried she would get impacted but again things went well, if that were to have been moss I don't know if it would of ended that way or if she would have been able to pass it with out the good old honey bath. And if its a bad impaction and you cant get it out you will have to go to a vet or your frog will become septic. Even my vet doesn't suggest to keep these guys on moss because of the way they can be such aggressive eaters and I can honestly say IMO that both the ladies that work with my frogs are pretty good at what they do. But all in all it is up to the keeper and this is just my opinion.

Thread Information