Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gray Treefrog / Hyla versicolor and H chrysoscelis caresheet

petebuster1

Default Re: Gray Treefrog / Hyla versicolor and H chrysoscelis caresheet

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Sometimes I fond it fun to feed them by hand, at other times I toss the crickets right into the beautifully planted naturalistic terrarium.
    On the one hand, these frogs are fairly active foragers, I've witnessed mine hopping about looking behind, under and between everything in the cage in search of food, so he's not lacking a workout there if he is hand fed regularly.
    I've also never had any problems placing live food directly into the terrarium. A fair number of sow bugs live permanently inside the terrarium, and crickets don't last long once offered.
    Some people seem to have this rather (IMO) ridiculous fear of their frogs eating the substrate. I'm not overly concerned with this. I keep my frogs in naturalistic terrariums with a substrate of additive free top soil with living or dried sheet moss over it. If the frog ingests a small amount of either of these (which I've never seen happen) I don't see it giving them the same kind of problems as bark chips, gravel or rough sand would, which I don't suggest that you use for that very reason anyway.
    I'm unaware that recently captive male grays are fussy eaters that need to be coddled, mine ate like a pig from day one. But then of course, he didnt have to go through all the stress of being put into crowded holding cages until he was shipped over seas. It was a short trip from the woods to my living room for him, and he's done well ever since.
    Though they are a common species here, I'm interested in breeding them.

When it gets right down to it, its really just a matter of the preferances of the keepers.

yes i agree i think its preference rather than a need,as i say i've never come across one that needs help in feeding.The only crickets i remove are dead ones,they dont survive long if not eaten..
    I agree with you on the substrate,again maybe they might take some in if the cricket has some stuck to it or something but then they probably would in the wild but it seems to have no ill effects(additive free soil of course), i think sometimes we can be over cautious, nature knows best.Providing we provide the right enviroment i think they are quite capable of taking care of themselves

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by petebuster1 View Post
    I strongly suspect ive probably only (until recently) purchased wc ones,with a lot of stressful travelling on top and still no problem. I doubt very many are cb over here,i have finally found one breeder but thats it.But if i had newly captive ones that weren't eating, i suspect it would be because they are overly stressed (not that they seem overly sensitive) and would let them go back to their natural habitat if i happened to live not too far from the same area.
    I was talking about wild caught only. I'm from Europe - I know how it works with regard to American species. In fact I used to live in England and was very friendly with British Herpetological Supply. The ones that get to you after being recently wild caught have been in captivity for a while - those that didn't eat were probably dead before they reached the UK, or on their way out.

Catching my own tree frogs in the wild, I've found that many freak out when faced with a prey item on the end of a forceps - for example they will leap straight into the tank wall to get away from it or even onto you. Those same frogs will eat when placed in a margarine tub for an hour with food items (with the top closed). Some will hunt food down in their terrarium but when they share that terrarium with others that are not afraid, they rarely get to the food first.

I don't have 20 years of experience but I have spent quite some time observing these animals in the wild and more recently in captivity.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

petebuster1

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I was talking about wild caught only. I'm from Europe - I know how it works with regard to American species. In fact I used to live in England and was very friendly with British Herpetological Supply. The ones that get to you after being recently wild caught have been in captivity for a while - those that didn't eat were probably dead before they reached the UK, or on their way out.

Catching my own tree frogs in the wild, I've found that many freak out when faced with a prey item on the end of a forceps - for example they will leap straight into the tank wall to get away from it or even onto you. Those same frogs will eat when placed in a margarine tub for an hour with food items (with the top closed). Some will hunt food down in their terrarium but when they share that terrarium with others that are not afraid, they rarely get to the food first.

I don't have 20 years of experience but I have spent quite some time observing these animals in the wild and more recently in captivity.
    i think i'd freak out if someone stuck food in my face when i'm used to hunting for it all i'm saying is imo there is no need for the tub they should eat of their own accord in a near natural enviroment,enough food will walk into their line of fire, if not better to take them back to where you caught them.They are better off in the wild and it does bother me when i see greys and others available here and wonder how many didn't make it.

SirIvy

This care sheet helped me raise four gray treefrogs from newly hatched tadpoles this past summer.

I noticed that no matter how much I worked to keep all the conditions ideal while they were growing that some were just not meant to make it. One tadpole went through metamorphosis very quickly and is now just under two inches long. The other three grew a little slower and haven't grown as quickly as the other. One even has a weird half underbite but other than that is perfectly healthy.

I had some tadpoles that took forever to change. They were extremely small froglets and had trouble eating.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by SirIvy View Post
    I noticed that no matter how much I worked ... some were just not meant to make it
    This is absolutely true, unfortunately, and perfectly natural. Nature tries different approaches for each tadpole but many are failures.

frog

Just an FYI, I caught a wild Grey this year for the first time. I see the comments on feeding and with my brief experience with my Grey he does fine finding food in his tank with no help or feeding with tweezers. he adapted to captivity almost overnight and seem very happy. I just drop the food in his feed bowl, where sometimes he will wait there to be feed. what ever crawls out he hunts down at night or the next day.I do feed him wild caught moths,crickets, and any other small bugs i find as a treat, never any problems. Same diet he would have in the wild. I live on a large piece of property and don't use pesticides so i see no harm. I would not recommend wild caught food for close urban property's. Main diet of meal worms. He lives in a water/land tank with filtered water and live Safe for frogs plants. no water bowl. Hope this helps on feeding for anyone reading.

Kurt

I would feed him a little bit more than mealworms.

frog

What else do you recommend besides meal worms and and the occasional store bought crickets,Darkling Beatles and wild insects i listed before? This would be good to know because there are no wild bugs to catch in the winter.

Kurt

I was thinking crickets. I figured by your response that you are already using them. I would use them much more frequently than mealworms. They should be the staple food. You can also use cockroaches and earthworms of the appropriate size. You can also use waxworms occasionally, but not too much, they are high in fat count. You can also let waxworms mature into moths, treefrogs LOVE moths!!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Just make sure to gut load your crickets 24 hours before feeding them to your frogs.
    I think so far as care sheets go, this one is great. Very in depth.

PsKloveP

Lady Leean

Cool Re: Gray Treefrog / Hyla versicolor and H chrysoscelis caresheet

Hi

I have 4 gray tree frogs an I was thinking about starting a community tank. Does any one have any ideas for plants, fish, and reptiles that could coexist well with each other and the gray tree frogs.

Thanks

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Leean View Post
    Hi

I have 4 gray tree frogs an I was thinking about starting a community tank. Does any one have any ideas for plants, fish, and reptiles that could coexist well with each other and the gray tree frogs.

Thanks
    You should post this in a new thread under tree frogs=)

But to help you out a bit #1 Rule NEVER MIX BREEDS (most Frogs including Greys have toxins that are harmful to other species)
    also make sure your tank is large enough for 4 frogs ... rule to try and go by is 1 Frog per 10 Gallons.

I have a 18x18x24 exo terra that im allowed up to 4 greys because they are slightly smaller frog breed.

Also I hear pothos is one of the best and least likely to die terrarium plants =)
    I currently only have plastic plants, some vines, hiding log, and I magnetic rock perch up high.. oo and a water dish of course for bathing.

Hope that Helps!
    http://www.frogforum.net/frog-toad-c...heet-Info.html

If you havent read the link above its amazing and helpful!

15. This member thanks Rae for this post:

LORIANNE

Red face Re: Gray Treefrog / Hyla versicolor and H chrysoscelis caresheet

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Our fourth care and information sheet is for the two species of Gray Treefrog, Hyla versicolor and H. chrysoscelis. It was written by Kurt Kunze and myself. It can be found here. The breeding section is still being written as of Friday June 26th 2009. Thanks to Johnny Farnen for the lovely Hyla chrysoscelis photo.

Please use this thread to discuss/debate/argue/change the care and information sheet.

LORIANNE

Hi, John!
    What a wonderful lot of information! My grey tree frogs are wild, but they have perched on a chair on our deck for the past three summers. The first two summers
    it was (from your description) a female. This summer it has been another, smaller one, so I presume it is a male. Now, in October, we have had a tiny one, about 1/2" long, occasionally, and today, another one, a male, I guess. We haven't fed them. I would like to prepare an outdoor shelter for for the winter. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Lorianne

Nationality
    [Ireland]

It's not really practical. They will bury themselves in the soil under leaf litter. I would leave them to it.

Rebel

Lately i have been experimenting with outdoor housing for various animals, because it seems the best way to reproduce natural climatic conditions. I live in New York, where the weather is typical of the Grey Tree Frog's range. Does anyone have any ideas or experience regarding outdoor housing and breeding of Greys?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

During the winter when they hibernate they secreate an emzyme into their cell like an anti-freeze witch alows them to freeze solid with out harming the cells in their body and in the spring they "thaw" and look for food and ponds or pools to breed and spawn in. I live in virginia and they do this every year.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petebuster1 View Post
    Great caresheet but do find the feeding methods questionable,having to keep taking them out and putting them in another container with the prey seems it might be a bit stressful rather than the opposite for the frogs and hard work for the keeper at feeding times and ive never come across one unwilling to eat.I've always found they get used to you very quickly with your everyday visits to their enclosure. Feeding with tweezers surely takes their natural instinct of the hunt away and again a lot of work if you keep several or many frogs.
    In my experience i'm hard pressed to find a living cricket within a few hours and never had a problem with crickets doing the frogs any harm. Watching them hunt is all part of what we get out of keeping them ,doing what they do naturally. I dont think they need our help that much.

Feeding in a separate enclosure or container is a good idea if you have any kind of substrate or rocks that they frogs can swallow. Foreign objects in the frogs digestive tract are likely to kill the frog if it causes a blockage, it can even potentially cause a rupture in their abdomen and either way would be a painful way to die if you ask me. I have 7 frogs all together (3 adult greys, 2 grey tadpole and a new grey morph, and a leopard frog tad) and I will never feed my frogs any other way than to feed in a separate container. They still get the thrill of the hunt, but with no chance of ingesting something they were not supposed to eat. I can even feed my greys right from my finger tips, lol. I catch moths that have gotten into my home and hand feed them to my Greys. They love it! They will all 3 jump to my hand and fight over the moth in question if I give them the chance (but I try to avoid that so they don't hurt each other) lol. And by feeding them in a separate container, you can ensure that ALL the frogs are getting the right amount of food. The larger frogs will hunt down all the crickets in the enclosure if you give them the chance and that is not good for them, also the smaller frogs will not get their fair share of the crickets if they have to compete for their meals against the bigger, older frogs. Also the supplements can get rubbed off or knocked off the crickets if you let them run free in the frogs home. Everyone has their own methods of feeding, but I just wanted to share my methods with everyone. Also by feeding in a separate enclosure, your frogs will become accustomed to your handling them and eventually may even want to be let out and handled like mine do. My males like to sit on my laptop with me and chase my cursor. They will sit at the front of the cage and wait for me to walk by at which time they will put their hands on the glass and push their head against the glass trying to get the door to open, lol. If I am not busy I will open the exo-terra and they will jump right over to my hand and walk up to my shoulder, patiently waiting to go to the computer. Once we get there they jump down and climb around on my keyboard and screen until they get tired at which point they return to my arm and make themselves comfortable. I love my Greys. They are so full of personality and, in my opinion, they are the best frogs to keep as pets! Sorry to ramble on, I just love talking about my babies and if my info can help another frog lover then even better. Best Wishes; MsBlueRose

Here is a pic of my happy little Greys (adults only), the boys are already trying to get onto me as I am snapping the pic, lol. From left to right they are Buddy, Lilly, and Kermit.

And here is my sweet little Kermit sitting on my keyboard watching me work at the computer. <3

This is also my sweet little Kermit. He has just finished eating in the feeding tote and decided to hop up and wait on the edge while the other 2 finish. It was a perfect time for me to try and capture his beautiful markings. All the tan spots you see on him are actually gold! But for some reason I can't get the gold to reflect and be captured by camera...? He is the most unique Grey I have ever seen. I may never find another one quite like him. When he is sitting in the sun, his gold shines so bright. He is truly beautiful! Every tan spot you can see is iridescent gold in person. One of these days I will find a camera that can capture his true beauty! I want to breed him so bad. <3

Thanks for reading!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you for writing and posting this wonderful article. I have just successfully raised one tadpole to a froglet and the other tadpole has hind legs. I originally had 9, but a water change killed 7 of them. maybe too much de chlorinator. I don't know. I think these 2 will do great, Sticky is the more mature guy, i don't know if it is male or female, obviously, but yesterday he had a long tail, today i woke up and he was on the side of the enclosure with almost no tail. and he turned green. ADORABLE. i was planning to release them, but now i worry they will get eaten. they are so tiny.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information