Thread: firebelly toad sex?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile firebelly toad sex?

i know for a fact my one toad is a male as he will mount the other one and croak.
    this one is very quiet never makes a noise, but will hide when my other one starts croaking. he/she is smaller then my other toad but eats tons im just wondering if i have 2 males or a male and a female.
    thanks

http://imgur.com/a/77hRK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: firebelly toad sex?

Apparently in almost any group of FBT's, one male will actively show his dominance over all the others by mounting both the males and females. I suppose an expert might be able to see the difference in a mating hold over a hold for dominance.......but that's not me.

So the only thing you can be sure of is the one doing the dominating is a male. If any of the other FBT's croak or bark, other than when being dominated, then that may be a reasonably positive sign that they are male too. Without having an expert examine them, I wouldn't assume anything about sex of the others that you don't hear bark or attempt to dominate another. It really doesn't matter IMO.

If you do get eggs then you will know at least one is a female, but if you have more than two... which one laid them? IMO...... eggs just mean you'll have to decide whether to let them hatch or dispose of them. If you don't dispose of them then you'll have to worry about the adults eating the young, will you be able to care for them, and what will you do with the increasing numbers of toads?

I'm glad I have males. I don't have to make that decision.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thumbs up Re: firebelly toad sex?

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    Apparently in almost any group of FBT's, one male will actively show his dominance over all the others by mounting both the males and females. I suppose an expert might be able to see the difference in a mating hold over a hold for dominance.......but that's not me.

So the only thing you can be sure of is the one doing the dominating is a male. If any of the other FBT's croak or bark, other than when being dominated, then that may be a reasonably positive sign that they are male too. Without having an expert examine them, I wouldn't assume anything about sex of the others that you don't hear bark or attempt to dominate another. It really doesn't matter IMO.

If you do get eggs then you will know at least one is a female, but if you have more than two... which one laid them? IMO...... eggs just mean you'll have to decide whether to let them hatch or dispose of them. If you don't dispose of them then you'll have to worry about the adults eating the young, will you be able to care for them, and what will you do with the increasing numbers of toads?

I'm glad I have males. I don't have to make that decision.
    i am hoping they are both males for this fact, especially me being new to having them. I am not ready to be a "grandma" lol

Thread Information