Thread: Rescape of my 55g FBT

Default Rescape of my 55g FBT

Just finished a major rescape. Gutted the entire thing to upgrade to a cannister, make maintenance much much easier and give them more water coverage. Installed a nice little water feature, too. Found the perfect corner piece I've been looking for. Still have work to do but this one should be around for the long haul.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. 2 members thank ericbrookey for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rescape of my 55g FBT

Thing looks awsome! Any ideas for the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Thanks! Still trying to decide on bg and sides. I found some cork tiles i like but I really don't want to just velcro them on. Little late for silicone I imagine. I've heard the fumes will kill the plants.

Added some foliage today. My LFS had some great Anubias that fit perfectly and I got the Dracaenea for half off cause it had a few dead shoots but I think it will spring back. Thew in a bunch of Java moss cause it looks like I may have 2 pregnant frogs.

What do you think?

7. This member thanks ericbrookey for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It's looking good! I did have silicone kill an entire tank of plants at one point It was not good. I did use an excessive amount of silicone though, as I was trying to fix a land/water divider. I think the amount to glue in some cork and good ventilation would not have the same effect.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    It's looking good! I did have silicone kill an entire tank of plants at one point It was not good. I did use an excessive amount of silicone though, as I was trying to fix a land/water divider. I think the amount to glue in some cork and good ventilation would not have the same effect.
    Thanks Amy. I might try adding some cork if I find the right stuff but I'm in no hurry. I need to stop fussing with it for awhile and let it settle. Now im just trying to figure out if my females are going to lay eggs or if they are just gluttons and I need to intervene and change my feeding schedule. No hibernation but summer is breeding season and the males have certainly been trying.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

How goes the tank?

How goes the tank?
    It goes well. Got some new 6500k bulbs and plants are responding well. Added some UVB for about 4 hours a day and they seem to enjoy it. They all appear very healthy and have begun calling more and are pretty active. The moss stayed brown but I see a nice healthy green starting to come through so I'm hopeful it just needed some time. I am still struggling with my filtration though. The cannister just pulls too much water and eventually needs to be turned off for a minute to refill the "sump" area. I've got a ball valve to help regulate flow and it helps but I've got to revamp it eventually so I don't have to monitor it so much. Going to have a piece of plexi cut to expand the intake area and possibly downgrade the cannister if that doesn't work. Will take updated pics tonight.

How goes the new whites build?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Financially challenged lol. And stumped on how i want to position my planters. we have the basic 3side foam layer done. We plan on putting leds under the wall planters to aid growth lower in the tank. So kinda broke and brainstorming? I already have my mortar and ideas for painting it with moss paste in areas to make it just grow everywhere...

The more i think into it the more complicated it gets fml...

Financially challenged lol. And stumped on how i want to position my planters. we have the basic 3side foam layer done. We plan on putting leds under the wall planters to aid growth lower in the tank. So kinda broke and brainstorming? I already have my mortar and ideas for painting it with moss paste in areas to make it just grow everywhere...

The more i think into it the more complicated it gets fml...
    I hear ya on that. It's definitely not a cheap hobby. I took a few pics to show the current state of the viv. I think it's starting to fill in. I put some crypts in the back that you can't see, partially submerged, and they are starting to emerge nicely. The anubias that I purchased as fully submerged a few months ago has not died off completely but I haven't seen any new growth yet.

14. This member thanks ericbrookey for this post:

Time for a quick update. Added another piece of wood, few more plants, finally seeing some new growth from the Anubias. The ivy isn't doing all that great, wondering if I'm getting enough drainage in that pot. Also probably lacking in nutrients since it's not in the water column. More Dracaenea, still adjusting to being emerged. Frogs are doing well, lots of calling and night time activity.

Thread Information